Big Basin Vineyards- New World wines with Old World soul

At Big Basin Vineyards, we’re all about making wines that reveal the complex nuances of the vineyard. Our low yielding mountain vineyards are organically and sustainably farmed with a focus on picking at optimal ripeness. This diligent, hard work in the vineyard allows us to honor the characteristics of each vintage, vineyard and varietal—and in doing so, honor Mother Nature.

In this pursuit of authentic expression of site, we practice minimal-intervention winemaking. We lean on the traditional tools of gentle foot-treading, indigenous yeast fermentations and the use of whole-clusters. We favor a subtle oak influence, sur lie aging and a sparing use of SO2. By keeping our production small, we can give every vine, fermentation bin and barrel the attention it deserves. The result: aromatic, ethereal wines of intensity and elegance.

With this in mind, we’ve put together variety packs that showcase the unique characteristics of the particular vineyards and varietals we work with. You’ll find options for casual exploration as well as bundles offering a more focused look.

Unlucky 13 Reminder: Don’t forget to order AND comment! At the end of the day(s), we’ll pick a commenter at random to receive a surprise bonus bottle!

Offer 1: Off The Beaten Path Varietals- We began our winemaking journey with a love of the powerhouse Rhone varietal: Syrah. Along our way, we grew to love and appreciate the oft forgotten varietals. Backbones of classic Rhone style blends, these grapes show their true character and quality as 100% varietal wines when grown in low yielding, steep, rugged hillside vineyards.
This is a 3 bottle sampler that includes:

• 2018 Homestead Block Roussanne ($48)- Grown on the cool redwood forested slopes of our Estate Vineyard. We aged half in clay amphora and half neutral French oak for 1 year and then racked into stainless steel for 6 months. Apricot and honeysuckle with silky, oily texture. 13.5% abv, 190 cases. 92pts-AG.

• 2018 Wirz Vineyard Old Vine Carignan ($41)- From 90+ year old vines in the Cienega Valley. We utilized 87% whole clusters, elevating the aromatics of dark berry fruit, crushed stone and dried flowers. 13.3% alcohol, 115 cases. 95pts, Editor’s Choice, #30 of Top 100 Wines of 2021-WE

• 2019 Rodnick.Farms Old Vine Mourvedre ($44)- From Rodnick.farm at 1600-1900 ft on the western slopes of the Gabilan Mountains. We utilized 100% whole clusters and aged in neutral 500L puncheons for 11 months. This is all varietal character: gorgeous black fruit, savory dried herbs and graphite minerality. 14.2% abv, 105 cases. 91pts-WE

Regular Price $133 + shipping
BD13 Price $99, shipping included- Our Best Deal!!
LINK TO BUY

Offer 2: Coastview Vineyard Reds- The Coastview Vineyard is the highest vineyard in Monterey County, at 2,200 feet in the Gabilan Mountains. Similar to the great vineyards of Syrah’s Northern Rhone birthplace (Hermitage, Cornas), the vines are planted on very steep hillsides in decomposed granite soils. The region is hardly hospitable to any crop other than low yielding, character rich wine grapes. It’s for this very reason that about half of our production is sourced from these remote mountainous vineyards.

• 2016 Coastview Vineyard “Terraces” Syrah ($60)- Fermented with 64% whole clusters and aged 21 months in custom toast French oak barrels. Expressive with blue fruit, lavender and dried mint. 13.9% abv, 215 cases. 95pts- AG. 94+ pts-JD. 93pts, Cellar Selection-WE

• 2018 Coastview Vineyard Pinot Noir ($60)- We utilized 100% whole clusters and aged 17 months in barrel. The addition of a basket press in 2018 brought true purity of expression to this elegant varietal. Red fruits, white flowers and ripe tannins. 13.5% abv. 218 cases. 93+pts-AG. 93pts-JD. 93pts-WE. 90pts-W&S

• 2017 Altitude 2292 Bordeaux Blend ($90)- A co-fermented blend of all five Bordeaux varieties - 52% Merlot, 39% Cabernet Sauvignon, 5% Cabernet Franc, 2% Petit Verdot, 2% Malbec. Classic cool climate style with cassis, dried herbs and chocolate. We aged 21 months in French oak, 45% new. 14.2% abv. 230 cases. 93pts-WE. 92+pts-JD. 92pts-AG. 91pts-W&S.

Regular Price $210 + shipping
BD13 Price $168, shipping included
LINK TO BUY

Offer 3: Santa Cruz Mountains Reds- The Santa Cruz Mountains AVA is as diverse as it is exceptional. From the steep hillsides, rocky soils and moderate temperatures of our Estate Vineyard to the foggy rolling hills of Corralitos, each microclimate is ideal for producing expressive and balanced wines.

• 2019 Alfaro Pinot Noir ($60)- This meticulously farmed vineyard is in Corralitos, just 3 miles from Monterey Bay. 100% whole cluster, the aromatics in this wine sing: sweet cherry fruit, crushed rose petals and dried mint. 13.2% abv. 170 cases.

• 2017 Grizzly Grenache ($55)- 100% Grenache from our Estate Vineyard. In our endless pursuit to translate the beauty of Grenache we find that neutral vessels offer the best expression and so aged this wine 20 months in all neutral barrels. Alluring on the nose with bright red fruit infused with spice. 14.4% abv. 195 cases.

• 2017 Sixty-Two Terraces Syrah ($55)- This wine comes from two steeply terraced blocks of our Estate Vineyard. The poor, rocky ridge top soils make for very low yields of small clusters with smaller berries. The resulting wine is typically some of the more intense Syrah that comes out of our vineyard. The Syrah was 100% whole cluster and co-fermented with 3% Viognier. This is a savory, spicy and wild Syrah with dark brooding fruit and structure needing a decant or cellar time. 13.9% abv. 113 cases.

Regular Price $170 + shipping
BD13 Price $136, shipping included
LINK TO BUY

Offer 4: Mix & Match Case (12) of our AVA Fan Favorites: Wines of impeccable quality at a value driven price. We source from the same carefully farmed vineyards and practice the same attention to detail and quality in the winemaking as our single vineyard wines. These are the perfect house wine: effortlessly accessible for the weeknight dinner table while also worthy of the most discerning palates.

2020 Rose A blend of 45% Grenache, 38% Carignan, 12% Mourvedre, 5% Syrah. Whole cluster pressed with wonderful texture and a vibrant acidity.

• 2018 Homestead RedA blend of 33% Carignane, 25% Syrah, 21% Grenache, 19% Mourvedre and 2% Cabernet Sauvignon. Ripe red fruit, mint, flowers and dried herbs with notable complexity and character. 93pts & Editor’s Choice-WE

• 2017 Gabilan Mountains GSM46% Mourvedre, 34% Grenache, 20% Syrah. Expressive with the wild berry black fruits, hints of black cherries, and a delicate savage note that Mourvedre is known for. 93pts-AG. 91pts-WE

• 2019 Dune & Mountain Pinot NoirThis wine is sourced from two of our favorite vineyards - Coastview Vineyard high atop the Gabilan Mountains and Olson Vineyard planted in ancient sand dunes next to Monterey Bay. Vibrant, spicy red fruit, beautiful silky texture. 95pts-WE. 94pts-Jamie Goode

• 2017 Santa Cruz Mountains SyrahOur Santa Cruz Mountains Syrah is sourced primarily from our Estate Vineyard. 98% Syrah & 2% Viognier. Floral aromatics, juicy plums, iron and spice.

Use code BERSERKER13 to get 25% off and included shipping
LINK TO BUY

Shipping Info
Orders shipping at time of purchase. Orders going to the Northeast and Midwest will ship climate controlled to hubs in New York and Illinois, respectively. From there they will be placed on trucks for same or next-day delivery. If you have any concerns about the temperature safety of your wines, please note so in the order and we will hold them until April.

We are unable to ship to: AK, AR, CT, DE, HI, ID, IN, IA, KT, LA, ME, MS, MT, NE, ND, OK, RI, SD, TN, UT, VT, WV, WY

Love to see Big Basin represented here! It is, without a doubt, my personal favorite winery from 10 years of living in the Bay Area. The Carignan in particular is a delight.

I’m in for an “off the beaten path”, and a few more bottles as well.

3 Likes

Awesome, Ben! Great to be a part of BD and always wonderful so share wine with you. Cheers!

Hi,

These wines sound great! I’m trying to get the Offer 1 and then add 9 bottles from the AVA mix and match but it’s not giving me the 25% off. Does it have to be 12 of the AVA bottles only to trigger the discount code?

*Sorry, disregard this. It worked when I took the Offer 1 out and re-added it

1 Like

Any chance you will be able to ship to IN? Thanks

Awesome.
In for 1 Off the Beaten Path.
I look forward to trying your wines.
Thanks Ruthie!

2 Likes

Hello Ruthie,

Club member here for the last few years. Bought two of the Coastview Red selections. I may still add a case of the everyday drinkers later. Always love BB wines, visiting the winery and your social media person is always so nice when I post on IG :slight_smile:

Sidney

1 Like

Hi Dani, we can ship to IN if you’re ok waiting until April. Then we can use a third party shipper. Does that work?

Thanks, Matt! I hope you enjoy. The Carignan is a personal favorite of mine. I have never seen a more gorgeously colored wine! Cheers [cheers.gif]

Sidney! Great to hear from you. I hope you’re having a good new year so far. And no rush on the everyday drinkers- as a club member you get that 25% off on ANY case ANYTIME. [wow.gif] Hope to see you in person soon! Cheers.

1 Like

In for a mixed case. Can’t wait to try these.

Love a first time buyer! Cheers and hope you enjoy!

Sure - I attempted to send you a message about it. Email might be easier though!

Wouldn’t miss Big Basin! In for two of the Off the Beaten Path Varietal packs.

1 Like

Love Big Basin! In for a case!

1 Like

Glad to have you back, Benjamin. Thanks!

Cheers, Philip! [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Yup, never had a 100% Carignan. I’ve had it in Rhone blends but not by itself.
I want to add a bottle of Grenache to my order if possible. PM sent.

Sure, Matt. I can add a bottle of the 2017 Grizzly Grenache to your order at the bundle discount. Sound good?

That would be great. Thanks. :muscle: