**Closed — THANK You!!!** Sun Break — Willamette Valley Pinot Noir & Vermouth — 10-50% Discounts + BD13 Raffle

Yes, we have wine left!
10 to 50% Discounts
Eola-Amity Hills AVA and Willamette Valley Pinot Noir & Oregon Vermouth

1% of all sales donated throughout the year (1% for the Planet Member)
(Online orders – see links below-- or reply here or dpatte62@gmail.com or call/text 541 745-3016)

We’re excited to be back after an amazing debut BD last year. Thanks everyone! The winery keeps growing thanks to your support (300 cases produced for the sold out 2018 vintage, and now 1100 for the 2021 vintage). We therefore have more wines on offer this year plus a new small-batch Vermouth(!)

Quick introduction: we produce premium quality, small batch, single-vineyard Pinot Noirs from the Willamette Valley. Cool-climate Grand Cru quality Pinot Noir; wonderfully complex wines with great flavor intensity. I vinify using three distinct styles to explore three expressions of terroir: Colette is 100% destemmed, Marie-Paule is 50% de-stemmed/50% whole cluster, and Ariane is 100% whole cluster. Full tasting and wine making notes are below. In a nutshell, the Pinot Noir is made with moderate to high extraction, no new oak, élevage on the lees with bâttonage, no sulfites added, and cross-flow filtered for stability.

This year we have a Pinot Noir based Rosé Vermouth!

Infused with 17 organic/no-spray botanicals, the vermouth carries a relatively low 3% residual sugar. The inspiration for Sun Break Vermouth is my southern France heritage (Provence, the Alps, Cote D’Azur) where vermouths are enjoyed on their own, chilled, as apéritif wines. These are also wonderful on ice with a twist of lime and/or with soda water; and of course, they shine in cocktails. The dominant flavors are from the 17 botanicals and the profile lies somewhere in between Dolin Dry and Lillet Blanc.

The French wine label names are an homage to my family.
IMG_0442.JPG
Le Cellier du Chateau de la Tourette, Adeche, France, 16th Century. My great-grandfather’s winery. Still in the family but sadly no longer a winery. As a youth I spent most summers on the family farm in Provence and two years of high school in France. This is where my love for great food and wine started. In particular, I owe a lot to my aunt Marie-Paule and uncle Christian who generously shared amazing wines from their cellar which focused on Burgundy Pinot Noir and Champagne.

I love the personal connection to my wines and working at a scale that allows attention to detail. I have no employees except some part-time help during sorting and pressing at harvest. It’s fun and very rewarding to track the evolution of the wines every couple of weeks as I top barrels, and then work on the assemblage of the cuvées before bottling.

I learned the craft and science of vinification through harvest internships with six Oregon wineries. This was supplemented with classes and a lifetime of tasting wine in the U.S. and France, and perhaps most importantly, absorbing the stories, lessons and experiences from hundreds of winemakers along the way.

Okay, on to this year’s offers: 10% to 40% discounts with flat rate shipping (40 to 50+% discounted). Some of you prefer preselected packs, shown first, but for those of you who prefer to choose your wines and use coupon codes, we have those too! For example, the Marie-Paule Open Claim Vineyard Pinot Noir is best for immediate enjoyment so if this important for you, focus your $$ with the coupon codes.

Sun Break 6-Pack****: $142 (20% discount) + $22 flat rate shipping = $164
Shop online Shop - Sun Break Wine and Cider or for CA, CT, NJ and other states not supported by VinoShipper, reply here or email me: dpatte62 @gmail dot com

• 2019 Colette Pinot Noir, Cortell-Rose Vineyard, Eola-Amity Hills AVA, 100% destemmed, 13.9% ABV Retail $34 (TA 6.0 g/L, pH: 3.34, VA 0.34 g/L) Decant or hold for 12 to 24 mos; cellar potential 5 to 10yrs min.

2019 Marie-Paule Pinot Noir****, Cortell-Rose Vineyard, Eola-Amity Hills AVA, destemmed/whole cluster, 13.5% Retail $34 (TA 5.7 g/L, pH: 3.36, VA 0.45 g/L) Decant or hold for 12 to 24 mos; cellar potential 5 to 10yrs min.

2019 Ariane Pinot Noir, Cortell-Rose Vineyard, Eola-Amity Hills AVA, 100% whole cluster, 13.9% ABV Retail $34 (TA 5.5 g/L, pH: 3.40, VA 0.48 g/L) Decant or hold for 12 to 24 mos; cellar potential 5 to 10yrs min.

2019 Marie-Paule Pinot Noir****, Open Claim Vineyard, Eola-Amity Hills AVA, destemmed/whole cluster, 14.1% ABV Retail $34 (TA 5.3 g/L pH: 3.64, VA 0.62 g/L) Drink now or hold for 12 to 24 mos; cellar potential 5 to 10yrs min.

2020 Marie Rosé of Pinot Noir, Cortell-Rose Vineyard, Eola-Amity Hills AVA, 12.5% ABV Retail $17 (TA 5.9 g/L pH: 3.19, VA 0.15 g/L) Drink now, through 2023

NV Sun Break Rosé Vermouth, small-batch Oregon made, 17 organic/no-spray botanicals, 3% R.S., 16.7% ABV Retail $25. Drink now; cellar potential is very, very long (multi-decades)

Sun Break 12-Pack****: $249 (30% discount) + $33 flat rate shipping = $282
Shop online Shop - Sun Break Wine and Cider or reply here
The 12-pack includes 2 of each of the above.

Pinot Noir Cortell-Rose Vineyard 3-Pack: $92 (10% discount) + $11 flat rate shipping = $103

• 2019 Colette Pinot Noir, Eola-Amity Hills AVA, Willamette Valley, 13.9% ABV, Retail $34
    2019 Marie-Paule Pinot Noir, Eola-Amity Hills AVA, WV, 13.5% ABV, Retail $34
    2019 Ariane Pinot Noir, Eola-Amity Hills AVA, WV, 13.9% ABV, Retail $34

Pinot Noir Cortell-Rose Vineyard 6-Pack: $163 (20% discount) + $22 flat rate shipping = $185
This 6-pack includes 2 of each of the above.

Pinot Noir Cortell-Rose Vineyard 12-Pack****: $286 (30% discount) + $33 flat rate shipping = $319
This 12-pack includes 4 of each of the above.

---------Or pick your own wines and use the following coupon codes----------

Coupon Code Offer #1: 10% discount and $11 flat rate shipping on orders of 3+ bottles, mix and match as desired. Coupon code “BD10” at our online shop: Shop - Sun Break Wine and Cider or for CA, CT, NJ and other states not supported by VinoShipper, reply here or email me: dpatte62 @ gmail dot com

Coupon Code Offer #2: 20% discount and $22 flat rate shipping on orders of 6+ bottles, mix and match as desired. Coupon code “BD20” at our online shop: Shop - Sun Break Wine and Cider or reply here

Coupon Code Offer #3: 30% discount and $33 flat rate shipping on orders of 12+ bottles, mix and match as desired. Coupon code “BD30” at our online shop: Shop - Sun Break Wine and Cider or reply here

Coupon Code Offer #4: 40% discount and $44 flat rate shipping on orders of 24+ bottles, mix and match as desired. Coupon code “BD40” at our online shop: Shop - Sun Break Wine and Cider or reply here

Coupon Code Offer #5: 50% discount and $33 flat rate shipping on a case of 2020 Colette Pinot Noir, retail $20. This is declassified in price due to the vintage. See tasting notes below (the smoke phenols aren’t too terrible, but the wine making conditions didn’t allow for a premium Pinot…). Coupon code “2020” at our online shop: Shop - Sun Break Wine and Cider or reply here. Please note that coupon codes are not stackable so order this case online as a separate transaction (or contact me).

How to order! Our online shipping partner is VinoShipper (State tax compliant). If you are in a VS-supported State, just click the multipack on online shop links above. For California, Connecticut, New Jersey and other states that VS does not support, please reply here (I’ll contact you via your email address in your profile, or if you are not a WB member, email me at dpatte62 at gmail or call/text 541 74Five-3016). Similarly, for local Willamette Valley orders, please reply here for local delivery and offline payment. Thanks for your patience! VinoShipper, cannot ship to: AL, AR, CA, CT, DE, KY, MI, MT, NJ, RI, SD, UT

Alaska and Hawaii: the flat rate shipping deals are for continental U.S. only but contact me and we’ll find a way to add an equivalent $ discount to your order : )

BD13 Raffle! In honor of “lucky” BD13, buyers who also comment in this thread will be entered in a special drawing at 8pm Pacific Time, January 27. Winner will be announced in this thread. The winner will receive their choice of (1) 3 bottles of the 2021 Nicolette White Pinot Noir (to be bottled in March); or (2) 3 bottles of Rosé Vermouth; or (3) a mix of these two.

Wine making notes: I have chosen an estate-type model focused on the terroir of the organically-farmed Cortell-Rose Vineyard using 5 of the 6 clones (in 2019) and exploring three expressions of the vineyard: the Ariane is 100% whole cluster with two clones for the 2019 vintage, the Colette is 100% destemmed with 4 clones and the Marie-Paule is a cuvée of both with 5 clones. There is a through-line, but these three wines are quite distinct from each other. I can’t reveal my favorite child : ) –- it really depends on food pairings, mood, drinking window and planned cellaring time as explained in the tasting notes, below. But! You will also notice that I also have a 2019 Marie-Paule from the Open Claim Vineyard. This is a warmer site in the newly minted Mt Pisgah/Polk county AVA, also organically farmed, and close to Illahe, Amalie Robert and Freedom Hill Vineyards, etc.

I tend to pick as late as possible for phenolic ripeness especially in a cool vintage such as 2019. Maceration times depend on the vintage (2 to 3 weeks for 2019) with one light punch down per day. Elevage features extended lees contact in neutral barrels. The Pinot Noir is made without added SO2 (at extra cost and effort, by the way, we use a natural fungal compound to avoid spoilage organisms). In my view, this greatly enhances flavor and texture with smoother tannins (SO2 disrupts the polymerization of tannins which requires oxygen). But keep in mind that we cross-flow/sterile filter at bottling to continue to keep the funk out. (Note that the 2020 vintage is the exception. Due to all the fining and racking that was needed to reduce smoke phenols we were not on the lees very long and we needed to add SO2 to avoid oxidation. This wine is discounted, below.) Lots more info at our website https://sunbreakwinecider.com/.

Tasting Notes

2019 Colette Pinot Noir, Cortell-Rose Vineyard, Eola-Amity Hills AVA, Willamette Valley, 13.9% ABV, 238 cases produced, 77 remain. $34 Retail. This wine shows classic Eola-Amity Hills/Willamette Valley cool climate elegance and precision. 100% destemmed fermentations; Pinot Noir sourced from the organically-farmed, premier-quality Cortell-Rose Vineyard. Reductive nose (decant, or hold in the cellar for 12-36 months) opening up to “Ripe, round, fulsome fruit flavors: huckleberries, red currants and pie cherries. Notes of rose petal. Velvety tannins provide a luscious and dynamic yet soft, mouthfeel. Vibrates with tingly, vibrant spices – green peppercorn and clove – that reverberate from first sip to long-lasting finish. I prefer the 2019 vintage to the 94pt. 2018 vintage.” Peter Szymczak, former Oregon Wine Press wine writer, Nov. 2020 (This wine was recently submitted for review to TWA)

2019 Marie-Paule Pinot Noir, Cortell-Rose Vineyard, Eola-Amity Hills AVA, Willamette Valley, 13.5% ABV, 128 cases produced, 57 remain. $34 Retail. A blend of whole cluster and destemmed fermentations. Reductive nose (decant, or hold in the cellar for 12-36 months), this wine opens up to bright red cherry, cranberry and rose petal aromatics and flavors, flinty minerality and savory notes, and a zingy red cherry finish. This vintage of Marie-Paule is all about elegance and verve. Smooth with the gentle grip of lithe tannins, this focused wine can be enjoyed immediately but will also cellar well for years to come. 91pts Wine Enthusiast

2019 Marie-Paule Pinot Noir, Open Claim Vineyard, Eola-Amity Hills AVA, Willamette Valley, 14.1% ABV, 112 cases produced, 69 remain. $34 Retail. A blend of whole cluster and destemmed fermentations, from a warmer vineyard site than Cortell-Rose (less natural acidity). Redolent of rose and jammy black cherry aromatics and flavors. Mid-palate softness and richness lead to a pleasing, spicy finish with smooth tannins. Secondary savory notes showcase the elegance that characterizes the 2019 vintage. This is the richer, more assertive of our 2019 releases, approachable in its youth, but will cellar well for decades to come. 92pts, Editors’ Choice, Wine Enthusiast

2019 Ariane Pinot Noir, Cortell-Rose Vineyard, Eola-Amity Hills AVA, Willamette Valley, 13.9% ABV, 145 cases produced, 94 remain. $34 Retail. 100% whole cluster fermentation, this wine showcases bright red fruit along with appealing savory notes and more tannic structure than a 100% destemmed Pinot Noir. Notes of candied apple and cherry, followed by secondary savory notes of earthy meadow and a rich green olive salinity. The overall impression is one of elegance, dynamic verve and mystery. Whole cluster fermentation is classic Burgundian technique that explores another dimension of our terroir, one that produces a wine approachable upon release, but also rewards patience and cellaring. 91pts Wine Enthusiast

2020 Colette Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley, 12.7% ABV, TA: 6.0 g/L, pH: 3.34, VA: 0.34 g/L. 350 cases produced, 306 remain, $20 Use discount code “2020” for a 50% full case discount ($120/case) (Please note that you can only use one discount code at a time. If you want to order more, use separate transactions with the appropriate code for each.) This vintage features light and refreshing bright notes of cherry and cranberry with subtle hints of spice and cedar. There’s a touch of peat or tobacco leaf (smoke phenols) that comes and goes depending on your food pairing. Due to the difficult growing conditions in 2020 (smoke), this wine is discounted to enjoy in the next year or so as a favorite table wine with pizza, chicken, Tex-Mex and other spicy and rich dishes. Note that sulfites were added for this vintage (not typical for us).

2020 Marie Rosé of Pinot Noir, Cortell-Rose Vineyard Eola-Amity Hills AVA, Willamette Valley, 12.5% ABV, 116 cases produced, 59 remain. $17 Retail. A blend of early and fully mature Pinot Noir grapes with a fair amount of extraction/color, this rosé is bright and fruity with a mid-palate richness and soft red wine tannins. Features strawberry, rose petal and red cherry flavors and aromatics, with a flinty mineral/red wine tannin finish.

NV Sun Break Rosé Vermouth, small-batch Oregon made, 17 organic/no-spray botanicals, 3% R.S., 16.7% ABV. $25 Retail. Pale rose-orange pink. 127 cases bottled December, 2021. Compelling floral notes with citrus, rose, alpine meadow, spice and bitter orange. A blend of 17 old- and new-world floral, fruit, herb, spice and bitter botanicals including rose petals, hibiscus flowers, rose hips, elder flower, orange peel, lemon peel, angelica root, gentian root, anise seed, fennel seed, coriander, sage, lemongrass, cinnamon, ginger root, roasted chicory root and wormwood. The base wine is a Rosé of Pinot Noir (Rogue Valley, Oregon), the brandy is distilled from Pinot Noir (Willamette Valley). Enjoy on its own, chilled, as apéritif wines, on ice with a twist of lime and/or with soda water; and of course, it shines in cocktails.

[FYI only, 2020 Nicolette White Pinot Noir, Blanc de Noirs, Cortell-Rose Vineyard, Eola-Amity Hills AVA, Willamette Valley, 12% ABV, 71 cases produced, sold out. Highly aromatic, bright and zesty fruit-driven, this wine pops with floral notes, citrus and stone fruit flavors.]

Press
Prince of Pinot feature article: Sun Break Wines: Unique Value-Priced Oregon Pinot Noir | The PinotFile: Volume 12, Issue 10
Oregon Wine Press Magazine feature article: Davids vs. Goliath
Wine Enthusiast: https://www.winemag.com/?s=sun+break&search_type=all

Thanks,

David Patte, owner, wine maker
Sun Break Wine and Cider
(541) 74Five-3016 (mobile)
dpatte62 at gmail

Instagram: @SunBreakWC #SunBreakWine

The Cortell-Rose Vineyard
The vineyard is co-owned and farmed using organic practices by Jessica Cortell who farms several top-tier organic vineyards such as Seven Springs, Medici and Antica Terra. Jessica chose this vineyard as her own for its location on volcanic Jory soils at 525’-680’ elevation and the hallmark cool temperatures of the Eola-Amity Hills due in large part to the winds from the Van Duzer corridor.

Heritage Cider
Finally, I want to highlight that we also make heritage cider and there’s lots more information about that on our website. It all started because we moved to a property and valley with heritage apple trees and I was practicing sparkling wine techniques using apple juice…. Now we produce about 1,250 cases of cider per year mostly for Oregon distribution. (These are not covered in the BD sale because it is financially impossible to provide discounts and reduced shipping for a product that retails for $8.)

Order in! I love your Pinot’s David, and I can’t wait to try the finished product for the Vermouth. (the “beta” version was amazing!)

Thanks Mark! Looks like the coupon codes worked [cheers.gif] In terms of shipping dates, the weather outlook is pretty dicey (very cold in the Rockies this weekend, but if I wait until Monday, we would see extreme cold in the Midwest). Should we wait for warmer temps in a few weeks/10 days?

2 Likes

Thanks David! Waiting a few weeks is just fine with me. (I generally worry less about cold temps than warm temps, but still, not harm at all in waiting, and I am not in TOO big of a rush! [cheers.gif] )

Am I correct in reading that you can’t ship to NJ?

Let me know and I’ll see if I can have a NYC friend accept delivery. I’ve been looking forward to trying your vermouth since you posted about it last year.

Yes, but not online via VinoShipper. There is a fulfillment facility that we can use— and they ship to all States except Utah. (I don’t use them on a regular basis because it’s a 40 mile drive, etc.). Just tell me what you’d like to order here and I’ll send you all the details by email (through the WB email link.). Thanks!!

1 Like

3Pak PN order in, thank you!

1 Like

David, I emailed you with an order request. It didn’t look like it was going through correctly on the webpage. Thanks!

Got it. I wonder if it’s because you tried to ship to Alabama and actually Vinoshipper is still not ready to ship there? I know the new State law permits it, but VS is apparently waiting for its permit to be issued.

Excited to try the Pinots. Love me some local delivery!

I meant to post here, even before the raffle offer. I’m look forward to both the ciders and the wines, including the intriguing vermouth. My wife is a vermouth-skeptic, and I’m hopeful this will convince her that it’s very different from what her parents bought at Safeway back in the day! Thanks for the quick e-mails, David.

1 Like

Me too: looking forward to meeting you!

Thanks David! Wanted to go in for a case but looked at my current overflow closet… 3 bottles of Pinot for now!

You’ve been a great addition to the board and I always enjoy your input on Pinot related questions

1 Like

I would go for the Cortell-Rose Vineyard case if you’re willing to hold shipping for about a year? I wouldn’t normally ask somebody to hold so long, but I saw talk of your futures offer and willingness to hold for extended periods, so I thought I would ask. I could pay for just the wines ($286) and then pay shipping at the going rate when the time comes, so you don’t have to worry about shipping costs increasing.

If this is too much of a hassle, I understand and no worries. I’m just literally out of storage space and out of overflow space.

That’s a great idea. I really don’t mind holding wine at the storage facility— a perfect 58F and the costs are very low (20 cents/month/case). I’ll send you an invoice via email and we can proceed offline (the main reason for the online shop is the VinoShipper shipping rates and compliance). Thanks!

1 Like

Great - thank you so much!

Oh I can’t wait to ship these out (after this cold spell) and hear back! On the rocks, with a twist of lime is my wife’s top choice.

Oh snap! I almost forgot about the Vermouth. Order placed!

1 Like

Got it. Thanks Paul

You should have received my payment in Venmo if I did it correctly lol.

Thanks again, David!

1 Like