**Offer Extended** Coterie Winery | 20-30% off wines from acclaimed California vineyards, and complimentary shipping

**** Offer extended through Nov 30, 2021 ****

We’re honored to be a part of BerserkerDay NewbiePalooza!

Since 2007, Coterie has produced wines from tiny parcels within acclaimed vineyards that express the distinction of their place. We make every wine berry to bottle by hand with exceptional care in the vineyard and non-interventional practices at the winery. The winery is nestled in a cozy neighborhood near downtown San Jose, where we transformed an old warehouse into a beautiful place for wine. Read more…

Rather than offering specific packages or samplers, please enjoy 30% off 6+ bottles any combination, or 20% of 3+ bottles any combination. Both offers include complimentary shipping.

Order. Enter BNP2021 for Discount Code…

For a nice introduction to Coterie, consider the following wines:

2018 Glenrose Vineyard Roussanne
Adelaida District Paso Robles
$35.00 retail
$28.00 as part of 3+ bottle combo
$24.50 as part of 6+ bottle combo

Our friends at Tablas Creek turned us on to the lovely Roussanne growing at the nearby Glenrose Vineyard within the Adelaida District of Paso Robles. 100% whole-cluster pressed, barrel-fermented, 10 months neutral French oak, ABV 13.5%, 112 cases made. Read more…

Read about the vineyard
Read the winemaker notes

2018 Kirk Williams Ranch Pinot Noir
Santa Lucia Highlands
$42.00 retail
$33.60 as part of 3+ bottle combo
$29.40 as part of 6+ bottle combo

Kirk Williams Ranch is adjacent to the famed Garys’ Vineyard and just south of the renowned Rosella’s Vineyard. Produced from Pommard 4, 667, and 777 cuttings. 12 months French oak (41% new), ABV 14.5%, 191 cases made. Read more…

Read about the vineyard
Read the winemaker notes

2018 Las Madres Vineyard Syrah
Carneros, Sonoma County
$42.00 retail
$33.60 as part of 3+ bottle combo
$29.40 as part of 6+ bottle combo

Las Madres Vineyard is dedicated entirely to Syrah, except for a few interspersed Viognier vines, from which we co-ferment 4% for this wine, in the style of Côte Rôtie. Produced from 300 and 174 cuttings, 10 months French oak (6% new), ABV 14.5%, 164 cases made. Read more…

Read about the vineyard
Read the winemaker notes

Explore more of our vineyard-designate Pinot Noirs, Syrahs, and Rhône-varietal white wines below, from acclaimed vineyards in the Russian River Valley, Santa Lucia Highlands, Santa Cruz Mountains, and beyond, to include in your 3+ or 6+ bottle combo too!

View all our 2018 Wines
View all our 2019 Wines
View our 2020 Rosé of Pinot Noir, Russian River Valley
and more…

We are able to ship to the following states:
AZ, CA, CO, DC, FL, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, LA, MA, MD, ME, MN, MO, NC, ND, NE, NH, NM, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, VT, WA, WI, WV, WY

1 Like

I had the privilege to taste these 3 wines last week. I was excited to learn about a new winery I hadn’t heard of before. Full disclosure, I was provided the wine to sample, but I think my review is unbiased.

44% P4, 28% 777, 28% 667. Unfiltered. 14.5% alcohol. 6.78g/L TA. 3.74pH.

Pop and pour and it comes out of the bottle with a beautiful garnet color with a gemstone-like shimmer. Really rich and enticing. The nose is reticent at first, but shows very savory with baking spice, dried herb, sage, clove and a stem influence. After some air, it reveals deeper notes of tobacco, leather, with a touch of wood and the fruit starts to come into the mix - crisp raspberries and fresh strawberry jam.

The palate is incredibly balanced, very savory and rich with a lovely depth of flavor. It’s a bit like Thanksgiving in a glass - cranberry sauce, tobacco, blackberry. It’s surprising how delightfully light the body is, crisp and refreshing, but with a full flavor that coats the palate.

There’s a clean finish with balanced acidity. The warming sensation in the stomach is the only place that you notice the higher alcohol levels.

I really like how this wine has a dry, crusty nature that shows the warmer CA terroir without being over-baked or stewed in the least. I think it’s drinkable now, but has enough acidity that it should improve in the cellar for another few years. I think it’s a good value especially at this price point.

2018 Las Madras Vineyard Syrah
63% 174, 33% 300, 4% VG. Unfiltered. 14.5% alcohol. 6.62g/L TA. 3.70pH.

Pop and pour and this is much darker ruby, almost magenta. The nose shows black cherry, blueberry, with a meaty note. There’s a briny, sea air note like oyster shell along with a complex minerality on the nose with a hint of soy sauce.

The palate is bold, but bright. Not heavy at all, but full of flavor. There’s lots of fresh blueberry, but it has a nice, earth backbone. It’s mouth-wateringly juicy in the best way.

The finish again is clean and precise with black tea and mild tannins. There’s a touch of heat on the end befitting the alcohol level, but it isn’t intrusive.

This wine paired beautifully with pulled pork BBQ, which I’ve had a difficult time finding a good pairing. I’m going to pick up some bottles if only for that, but I’m excited to see about some other good food pairings with Syrah since I typically drink so much Pinot.

Filtered. 13.5% alcohol. 5.66g/L TA. 3.31pH.

Pop and pour and this wine has an exotic nose unlike anything I might have found before. There’s a warmth to the nose, with layers of minerality along with loamy soil. More air reveals tropical fruits - pineapple, orange, guava, nectarine.

The palate is apple, but not the crisp green apple often found, this is a yellow Golden Delicious apple with that same warmth found on the nose. There’s also pear and a hint of jasmine and other white flowers. More warm tropical fruits show with additional air. The wine is not overly complex, it’s very easy drinking, with a light body and medium to medium low acidity. There’s a sweetness to the palate, but balanced with savoriness.

The finish is crisp and light, but lingers. It’s a good buy for light and easy drinking if you prefer less sweetness than say a Riesling.

3 Likes

These wines are one of my favorites at the annual Las Madres Winemaker Lunch. Kyle is such a nice dude, a great winemaker and a hardworking businessman. His wines seem refined and complete early-on, and really show the sense of place. Such a good deal here.

1 Like

Tomorrow will be a tough day to explain to the Mrs. Could use more Roussanne in the cellar especially if exotic on the nose, Pinot with cranberry notes, and a complex Syrah.

2 Likes

Rich, thank you for the kind note and the interest in the wines! Let me know if there’s anything else I can pass along about them.

Cheers,
Kyle

Anne, thank you for the very kind note. Great to see you and Camille are part of the day as well! It’s always a highlight to catch up with you at the Las Madres Winemaker Lunch and enjoy your beautiful wines. Many others will surely be enjoying them for Berserker Day!

Andrew, thank you for the fantastic tasting notes. I loved hearing all the detail in what you experienced with the wines. Very much appreciate you taking the time to share!

I also had the privilege of tasting through the three wines. Thanks to Kyle and team! The Syrah was my favorite, but all three were terrific. Now that you all are on my radar, I hope to stop by in the near future as I have family that live in San Jose!

I’ll also say that Andrew beat me to the notes and did a nice job summarizing the wines. [cheers.gif]

2018 Las Madras Vineyard Syrah63% 174, 33% 300, 4% VG. Unfiltered. 14.5% alcohol. 6.62g/L TA. 3.70pH.
Decanted for 30 minutes and followed for a couple hours. This shows some old wold characteristics on open. Black olive and dark fruit, with hints of meat. There’s very clearly rich, young fruit here, but it’s buffered by some structure and an intensity that isn’t overdone or flabby. I’ve always been a fan of a little Viognier in Syrah. It’s amazing what a touch can do and it shows in this wine, keeping the overall palate feel fresh and agile.

This is a wine meant for a cold evening to sip by the fire or with lamb or beef. This seemed like it had some bones to age a bit, but there was really no harm in drinking now with a little decant.

44% P4, 28% 777, 28% 667. Unfiltered. 14.5% alcohol. 6.78g/L TA. 3.74pH.

Popped the pinot prior to the Syrah and straight from bottle it shows a rich, bold Pinot profile. Rich and spicy, but well-balanced on the palate, the wine shows fresh berries, baking spice, hints of earth, and a savory finish. You get some tea and coffee notes as the wine open up, and it tightens a bit on the back end.

While I found the Syrah ready to go with a brief decant, it seemed like the Pinot could stand to age a bit. It actually held up well and I might say it was even drinking better on night two. Good value here for the asking price.

Filtered. 13.5% alcohol. 5.66g/L TA. 3.31pH.

My second favorite wine of the three. The winery materials speak to being turned on to the Roussanne by the folks at Tablas Creek, and the wine reminded me of a TC Roussanne- in a good way. The nose shows a good bit of power - honey, brioche, apple and vanilla. It smells like what I think of Roussanne to be. A broad and big boned palate with tropical fruit, a bit of sweet oak and more honey and pear. It turns leaner on the finish with wiry lime zest and crisp acidity keeping it fresh and long. The Roussanne also felt like it could age a bit, it has the power in reserve. It would be interesting to try again in 3-4 years to see development.

Thanks again to Kyle and team for allowing me the opportunity to taste these wines! I look forward to see you all in SJ one day in the near future. [cheers.gif]

1 Like

I met Kyle and enjoyed four Coterie wines at an “Outstanding in the Field” dinner this summer - and now I’m a club member!

Here’s that thread -

As you can see, the syrah is the only wine I had that was also in the samplers sent to Dennis and Andrew, and my wife and I were, like them, big fans of that one. I did order some of the Roussanne, however, in my last club shipment (did I mention that club shipments are completely customizable at full club discount - what a great feature!), so I’m looking forward to trying that one as well.

Terrific wines, great guy, fantastic setup for their club program.* Highly recommended! [cheers.gif]

*Let me expand on that - 20% or 30% off all wines (not just “additional orders” like some clubs) depending on whether you commit to 3 or 6 bottles per shipment, free shipping at the 3 bottle level or above, 3 shipments per year, and complete freedom to customize what’s in each shipment in advance, so you get nothing you don’t want - and this includes new releases and any “library” wines that haven’t sold out yet. These wines are fantastic values at 30% off with free shipping, and having the ability to skip varieties we don’t care for and double up on our favorite varieties, or on wines we enjoyed so much we want a re-load, just made this club irresistible to us.

3 Likes

Great notes, thanks for supplying these. In for a 6 pack.

1 Like

I have had just about all of Coterie’s current releases and will be enjoying a white vertical there this weekend as part of a library tasting event. In addition to being a terrific winemaker, Kyle is also the sweetest, most friendly person I have met in the wine business. I’m jazzed to see him on here! When I asked Kyle the first time I met him what sets him apart from other winemakers, he told me that he thinks it’s what he doesn’t do to the wine: minimal or no fining and filtering, minimal SO2, a more hands off approach that I find puts his style somewhere between Old and New World.

My small wine fridge is slowly growing full of Coterie pinot and roussanne. I am partial to the sauvignon blanc, which I can drink both on its own and with food — a welcome combination of zesty tart apple, lemon peel, and acidity with just enough body that it all balances out wonderfully. Other hits for me would be the rosé of pinot noir, the 2018 Catie’s Corner pinot noir, and I would be remiss if I did not mention that the 2018 and 2019 Glenrose roussanne express themselves very differently despite being from the same vineyard and produced in the same neutral French oak.

1 Like

In for 2 cases!

1 Like

Hi Kyle, Nice job on the offer. I enjoyed a Sabelli-Frische Rousanne and it would be nice to compare it with yours. (edit: whoops, Sabelli-Frische is a Marsanne)

I have two questions:

1. Are all of your wines available at the discount price, or just the 3 you posted about?
  2. What is the age-ability of the Rousanne, Kirk Williams Pinot, and Las Madres Syrah?

Cheers,
Patrick

2 Likes

I can definitely recommend the Coterie wines and have tried all three that he’s offering for NewbiePalooza. I’ve known Kyle since we both were helping out for small wineries in West Berkeley nearly 20 years ago, and we made several barrels of non-commercial wines together with a few other friends in 2006, the year before he launched the Coterie label in San Jose. So although Kyle is a newcomer to Wine Berserkers he’s far from a newbie when it comes to winemaking.

Kyle has worked with many of his current vineyard sources from the start, including Kirk Williams Ranch and Las Madres Vineyard, so he’s really got things dialed in and his wines from those sites show a lot of consistency while still displaying some specific vintage character. I think of the Coterie wines as showing nice upfront California fruit with fine balance, and a light touch on oak. My experience is that they drink well when young but really shine after some time in the cellar. The Las Madres Syrah in particular has been a favorite - the fruit from there can often display a distinct black olive character, and that shows up on Kyle’s Syrahs from there. Kyle has really developed a style over the years that I think will appeal to many Berserkers, and this is the perfect time to discover the Coterie wines. [cheers.gif]

2 Likes

Dennis, thank you for the additional tasting notes. I really appreciate you tasting the wines and sharing them with everyone! It’s rare that I’m not around when we’re doing tastings (absent usually only when we have some other event going on), so I will certainly look forward to meeting you in person when you visit SJ, and sharing more of our wines with you!

Dennis, trying again to send you a proper thanks for tasting the wines (newbie error by me – I wasn’t signed in previously, so I appeared as a guest). Will look forward to meeting you at the winery when you’re in San Jose!

1 Like

Dave, such great memories from our dinner with you all at Outstanding in the Field! It was a real highlight of my summer. We’re truly honored to have you as a member of the winery now. Thanks so much for the very kind note, and all the lovely details you posted about the dinner and your experiences with us as a winery member. Hope to share some wines with you in person again before long – either with another Outstanding in the Field dinner (Jim and the team are an amazing group!), or some other way. Thanks again!

Joe, you’re awesome for ordering – thank you! On the way today.

Andrew, thank you so much for the interest in the 2 cases, and again for the detailed notes you posted on the wines! The wines are on the way.

Hi Patrick, thank you for the follow-up on the offer!

1. Every wine we make is available to combine in the offer – so yes, please select from anything we have available on our site, enter BNP2021 for the Discount Code, and the discount will apply across the board when you see your total come up at checkout.

2. For the ageability of the wines, I’m so glad to have the chance to share with you. We host library tastings at the winery, and while different vintages seem to star at different times, I feel confident that there should be some aging potential in the wines in the offer.

We’ve done library tastings of our Roussannes going back to 2006 (before we started Coterie), and I’m happy to say that we’ve had some very nice feedback. Note: from 2006-2012 we made Roussanne from Saralee’s Vineyard in the Russian River Valley (and in 2006, it was prior to Coterie as part of a group that benefited from the winemaking talents of Ken Zinns – thanks, Ken!). Our Roussanne is from Glenrose since 2016.

Our library tastings from Kirk Williams Ranch have gone back to 2007 (when the vineyard was called Fairview Road Ranch – same owner, same vines). The tastings of this wine have been especially enlightening because I used to think of Pinot Noir from Santa Lucia Highlands as really shining often around the 5-year mark (pardon the over generalization). In fact, we’ve found they can go much longer! I just opened our 2007 with our team during our traditional post-harvest dinner, on the day we barrel down our last wines of the season. We were very pleased with its evolution.

We haven’t had a regular library tasting with the Las Madres Vineyard Syrah yet, but I’ve tasted other wines from this vineyard going back to 2002, and generally they have a lot of life. While we think the wine is approachable now, we hope for nice ageability too.