Santa Fe- reccos? basics?

Unbelieveably, I’ve never been to Santa fe and am thinking about a four-day, three night trip there from LA in early Oct.
Anyone have reccs or food, lodging, activities? I guess about the only plan is to fly to Albuquerque, rent a car and drive. Since we’ve never been we’d want to stay in and explore the town. I doubt we’re up for the most expensive lodging, but certainly something toward the nicer end. With four days we’d probably have enought time to some exploring in the surrounding area, but probably not aything that is more than an hour away.

John; Let’s talk when we get home.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

You’ll enjoy it. Check to see when the Balloon festival is, you’ll probably want to avoid those dates (unless you want to see it). Oct 5-13.

Yes, fly to ABQ, rent car (very easy, right near the airport). Nice hour drive up to Santa Fe (the drive back is much more scenic, because of the views you get driving from higher elevation to lower).

They also just built a rail from ABQ to Santa Fe if you don’t want to rent a car. Santa Fe is awesome. Reach out to Tom Hill.

My whole family lives in Santa Fe now, so I’m happy to help out with whatever you may need.

1. Accommodations - I’d advise staying close to the Plaza. You can walk to almost any part of the historical district and there are many fine shops (albeit pricey), restaurants, and bars down there too. The other option to think about would to stay at one of the more rural destinations outside of town. These are typically spa-type properties and can be very very nice. If you’re hoping to blend spa-type activities into your stay, Ten Thousand Waves is a property my sister visits often. I haven’t been there, but have been told that it’s really beautiful and relaxing. I’d avoid properties on Cerrillos Blvd. This isn’t the true Santa Fe experience - more national big-box stores than anything local.

2. Food - where to begin…
    a. The Compound: This is probably Santa Fe’s top restaurant (some argue that Geronimo’s is better, however), and one of my favorite restaurants anywhere. It’s located on the beautiful Canyon Rd., so a walk to the galleries before dinner has been fun in the past. I haven’t done much with wine here, but I imagine their list is pretty good.
    b. El Parasol: My favorite taco spot in town. Pretty easy to get to on Cerrillos, I make it a point to stop here every time I’m in town. They do not have a dining room, so all orders are to-go. I usually eat in the parking lot.
    c. Cafe Pasqual’s: Located by the Plaza, this has great authentic New Mexican cuisine. Definitely get a reservation here for dinner…or go for breakfast. Their breakfast burrito is off the charts. I try to eat a Pasqual’s 2-3 times per year.
    d. La Casa Sena: Again, this is located just off the Plaza in downtown. A real A+ wine list for LCS, but this has slowly become a bit too touristy. Their prices are quite high, but their food is really good too. If you’re looking for higher-end cuisine, I’d favor the Compound any day.
    e. Coyote Cafe: Where my sister met her current husband! This has a great rooftop that I go to for drinks - lots of fun to be up there during sunset. Their menu is pretty good, albeit a bit geared toward the tourists. I can’t remember the last time I ate here…but their drinks are KILLER.
    f. Marble Brewing: Located on the Plaza, this is a small tap room/restaurant. They work with Rooftop Pizzeria so you can have Rooftop’s pizza in their taproom. I go here with my sister and parents quite a bit.
    g. Vinaigrette: been around 2 years now and specializes in salads. my sister is vegetarian, so we eat here a lot, but there are many options on the menu with beautiful animal proteins included. I was in Santa Fe on a business trip a couple weeks ago and took my client here. Exceptional stuff.
    So many other options…happy to provide more details if you need them.

3. Things To Do
    a. Georgia O’Keefe Museum: if you’re into art, I’d recommend doing this. It’s not a big museum at all…the entire trip usually takes between 1-2 hours.
    b. Bandelier: you can drive to Bandelier and do some nice hikes around the park. Lots of ancient Pueblo dwellings are in tact that are fascinating to see.
    c. Madrid: just to the South of Sante Fe is Madrid, a small artist community. Things are weird in Madrid…lots of art galleries and a bar. I’ve usually stopped there on my drive back to ABQ…fun little side trip.
    d. Taos: takes about 45-60 minutes to get there (depends on the route you take). There are some nice shops and restaurants to see there, but traffic can be a real bitch. Incidentally, there are a number of wineries along the route to Taos, so I’ve done some wine tasting in the area.
    e. Tent Rocks: if you’re into hiking, a day-trip to tent rocks is worth doing. The weather may be quite chilly in October, but that’s probably better than the 100+ degree heat I had when I hiked it a couple years ago. The trail is easy and the scenery is beautiful.
    f. Walk around the Plaza area: beautiful architecture, and lots of jewelry vendors. AVOID the “miraculous staircase” tourist trap tour…total waste of money IMHO.
    Again, let me know if there are certain things you specifically want to do…lots of options out there.

4. Wine Shops- there are really only two shops to worry about:
    a. Susan’s: located close to downtown I’ve shopped here a lot. Prices are fine, and the selection is good. You have things here that range from local wine options to LaLa’s and DRC.
    b. Arroyo Vino: this opened just recently and has gotten great reviews. Tom Hill speaks highly of it and my sister and her husband has said that, “it would pass your absurd wine standards”. I’m excited to check it out when I’m back in town. It’s located outside of downtown and has a small restaurant attached to it that I’ve also heard is really good.

Feel free to email me with any specific questions…happy to help!

Sorry for being late to the discussion.
I think Matt has pretty well covered most things.
I would advise to avoid Geronimo. Their 400%-500% wine markups stick in my craw.
Other restaurants I recommend:
ArroyoVino: Definitely probably SF’s best wine shop now. Their restaurant is absolutely first rate…and casual.
You can buy any wine in the shop & have it w/ dinner for a $20 corkage. And they always have a few wines
by the btl on their list at just the standard retail $. And their markups are as good as any in SantaFe.
TerraCotta: Newly opened restaurant WineBar/Bistro on JohnsonSt. Good/simple bistro food at a fair price.
Wine list is interesting, but just that. Very reasonable markups. Not up to ArroyoVino standards, though.
Tomasita’s: The standard NewMexician food rec. Don’t go…definite tourist trap. TheShed or LaChoza much better.

If you go up to Bandelier, take the time to visit the BradburyScienceMuseum in LosAlamos. Absolutely first rate.
Depending on timing, I could give you a personal tour. Things that go “boom” in the ground out in Nevada (or used to, anyway).
Tom

Tom, If we end up going (which we prob. will unless this Balloon thing makes it rough) I will definitely shoot you a line. It would nice to at least meet if it could work.

Btw, I don’t know your specific role, but did you happen to know a guy named Dom Sanchini?

John - We were there in 2011.

In addition to the above, definitely visit Upper Canyon Rd for the galleries. There’s a good place for beer, food and live music by the Railyard called 2nd St Brewery (along with a great framer’s market). In fact there’s tons of great music venues, consult the local rag. We took an excursion up Hwy 68. Stopped in Espanola for lunch at El Paragua, further up the hwy, we visited Vivac winery-not a bad little winery. You don’t have a lot of time, so you may just want to stay in town. We were there in June and it was dry as hell, so bring some nose/saline spray and skin loction. Maybe conditions are better in Oct.

Would love to get together w/ you John. There may be wine involved!!! Either up here or in SantaFe.

The name doesn’t ring a bell. If he’s the Rockwell guy who died, I wouldn’t have known him. I’m not
a rocket scientist…but have faked it at times!!!
Tom

Yup, Gregg. Weather is pretty dry/miserable in June unless the summer monsoons have started. The weather is spectacular
in Oct, though.
Vivac is one of the better wineries in Northern NewMexico. On the way up the hwy to Vivac is also BlackMesaWnry.
They have a couple of new winemakers (KarlJohnson & CraigDunn) and the wines have taken a big jump in quality…
though their Chocolate-flavored red it still a bit over-the-top for my palate.
Tom

I will definitely let you know with some notice when we firm plans. I just started to look at flights/lodging.

Yes, Dom, passed away and was the Rockwell guy at Rocky Flats. He was the father of a friend.

John, great stuff above. As Marshall said, let’s talk when we all have a chance. We have tried to go at least once a year since '86 and absolutely love it there.

Andrew

Just a couple of things. Our favorite thing to do these days is the Santa Fe Farmer’s Market on Saturday mornings at the railyard. I think it’s pretty much year round. And not too far from Thomasita’s if you want to try some darn good New Mexican food with margaritas for lunch.

New restaurant near the Plaza is Bouche Bistro. Excellent chef and authentic French Bistro menu. They do have an interesting reserve wine list, but it is in NM and not cheap. And you can’t BYO here.