Noise-cancelling headphones - recommendations?

I left my Shure earbuds (noise-restricting, I guess, not noise cancelling, technically) in the plane after my Japan trip (fail), so I’m looking for a set of noise-cancelling headphones after trying a friend’s pair.

What do you recommend?

Amazon’s got a whole PILE of them, but I’m not sure what to get. The JVC folding set looks interesting - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000U07C1U/ref=s9_simz_gw_s0_p23_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0SXJNA4ZDNER4VBSJ6W9&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tips, recommendations?

Nose-cancelling headphones”!!?? I’d stay away from those! [wink.gif]

I had Shures at one point and loved them but they eventually died after many, many years of good service. I replaced them with Etymotics and never looked back. These are noise-reducing (passive), not cancelling (active), headphones, and fit into the ear canal. It took a while to find the right earpiece to use (I use foam buds that are squeezed, inserted, and settle into place, blocking lots of external noise). My only complaint is the cord, it’s very very thin and gets tangled easily. Sound quality is top-notch, to the point that there are times when I’m listening to a favorite song and discover something new about it.

I needed some, but didn’t want to go for the $$$ for Bose, so I read some reviews, and settled on the Panasonic RP-HC500 for about $100

They’re terrific, and I’m very happy with the purchase.
I never fly without 'em.

+1

Love my ER6s

-D

I’ve been using my Bose for years. Love em.

My wife bought me the Bose Quiet Comfort 3 headphones after having to listen to me complain about two miserable flights to Europe. I can’t imagine traveling without them, although the only thing I have to compare them to are the standard I-phone ear buds.

I got a pair of Jabra C820s from buy.com. 90% of the Bose at 20% of the price. I love them (though they are a lot bigger than ear buds).

Got the Jabra’s for the plane and Shure’s for normal use. Both are spectacular. Why not stick with Shure Todd? I think their foam inserts are top of the line

I bought the Sennheiser PXC 250 a few years ago and its still going strong. Effective, light, comfortable and portable, and good sound for my IPOD. They do require a single AAA battery.

My Bose have been around the world with me and I love them. I need the complete over ears. But they are finally breaking … not the sound, just the plastic and I think I am going to switch to the Panasonic … something cheaper regardless.

Jason

+1

My colleague just bought these http://tiny.cc/lWEdU and loves them. The ear covers are too small for me. My ears get sore if the pads rest on them.

These and I assume others now have mics so you can use them with your iphone.

J

IMO, anything that sits on the ear (as opposed to ear buds) keeps most of the noise out. I use Sennheiser PXC 200 headphones. They’re not noise-canceling, but they keep me in my own universe on long flights. Steve, OTOH, likes his noise-canceling (and relatively inexpensive) Sony MDR-NC6 'phones.

+1

I should add that I’m not a big fan of earphones that completely cover the ears, because I find there is no air circulation and my head gets too warm. My personal preference only – apparently it doesn’t bother everyone, but I know I’m not alone in this view. The Sennheiser’s I mentioned above block out the noise very well, without that discomfort.

Here’s a link on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Active-Noise-Canceling-Headphones/dp/B000089GN2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1250113080&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just noticed there about 25% of the price of the Bose earphones too!

Love my Bose! When they die I will get another pair.

The other travel tool is my Kindle, with the two of them airplanes are not to bad.

I have the Bose Quiet Comfort 3 I believe, the over-the-ear ones. I love the headphones, but my one major beef with them is that I find I am always replacing the AAA battery at the most inconvenient times.

If you go for those, make sure you travel with extra AAA’s.

Flying a red eye tomorrow night (I know…I know!) and would really like to buy an inexpensive noise blocker. Any rec’s would be great. I typically wear my ipod during day flights…but want to get a bit of sleep and don’t think that’s gonna happen. In SFO BTW.

Thanks in advance.

Bone

Hey dildoe, when are you coming up to Seattle?