Have you had luck with Priceline, Hotwire or lastminutetravel.com?

TIA!

If booking hotels I will use travel sites but for air travel I always book directly with the airline.

Yeah this is for a hotel…

I have had good luck with both Priceline and Hotwire for Hotels. Recently the car rental deals have sucked. I just got a far better deal through Costco Travel.

Short answer= Yes.

Long answer= $75/night in River North in Chicago at the 5-star Avenue Hotel where they upgraded me to a corner, window-filled suite for free. Not too shabby.

I had a similar experience in San Francisco a few years back, I booked a 5-star hotel on Nob Hill (forgot name, it was across from the Fairmont) and again got a corner room with views of the city for $100/night.

love priceline for hotels! use betterbidding.com to get a feel of what you should bid!

I’ve had better success with hotels.com. I don’t like not knowing which hotel you’re bidding on.

Charlie, is posting the same thing twice the double-talk you learned for the bar exam? [wink.gif]

I’ve had good luck with hotels on Priceline and Hotwire.

Priceline has been a little better for me lately. I usually book the night before - or the day of - and my theory is due to the down economy they’re willing to take what I’m willing to pay rather than let the room go empty.

$150 Westin-Gaslamp, San Diego (right next to Horton Plaza)
$80 Peabody, Orlando

Those are the only two I can remember at the moment. Both great rooms with nice views.

better prices with priceline. But with hotwire you can get a better idea of what hotel you will get from betterbidding.com. Great success (borat) with both.

[rofl.gif] [welldone.gif]

I love Priceline for hotels - with the qualification that I only go for 4-star hotels in big cities. I use Bidding for Travel for suggested bids and take advantage of free rebids. Have been doing this for years and never been unhappy with the process.

Another happy user of BetterBidding.com in conjunction with Priceline/Hotwire. Actually, I don’t think I would use P/H without the info that BetterBidding.com gives you.

Renaissance Stanford Court I believe…there is an Intercontinental (Mark Hopkins) right there also.

Had good luck (for a reservation in Phuket) with latestays.com
Good last minute inventory of hotels, worldwide.

DLS

+1. If you know how how to game Priceline, it’s fantastic. I’ve scored **** hotels many times in the $60 range. There are exceptions, but keep in mind that if you use a site like Priceline, most hotels will NOT let you get any sort of points for your stay.

One more thing-- beware three star hotels on Priceline. We’ve had nice ones for $35, and total flea traps for $35. If there’s a restaurant in the hotel, they call it three stars. The four star ones we’ve found (most cities don’t have five star hotels, or have a small number of them) have all been nice.

This rule especially applies to Las Vegas. There are just too many dumps in Vegas it risk it. 5* is the only way to go - and I’ve heard that the Wynn is going for $60 to $80 on a regular basis right now.

We’ve had great success on Priceline for rental cars (though a tad less lately), and I’d say very good success for hotels. Especially in dense hotel areas like NYC, CHI, or Waikik. Definitely check out biddingfortravel.com and betterbidding.com You can get an idea of going rates being accepted and which properties fit in a category as well as which are being accepted.
I’d agree that there’s probably more satisfaction above the 3star level.