Deer Valley/ Park City fine eats?

We`re going to be staying at Stein Eriksen Lodge in Deer Valley for a week. They have a great restaurant and there are a couple of good ones within a 5 minute walk, Mariposa and Goldener Hirsch, but what else has anyone enjoyed recently in the way of fine dining?

Blake

I really like a lot of the restaurants in downtown Park City. River Horse being my favorite, always has great food and service, has music on weekends. This is actually one of my favorite restaurants anywhere.

All of Bill Whites places are good, He’s kinda the Gene Montesano of PC. Grappa italian and Chimayo southwestish are my two favorite. Food is great at both! I usually try and do both while there. Grappa is loud, and close together tables so ask for a corner. Washo asian is good but nothing outstanding. Ghidottis his other italin is also good, but off the beaten path especially from deer valley.

Last trip out Prime was surprising good for a simple steakhouse.

From what I’ve heard a couple of the new places in Deer Valley are good at the St. Regis and Montage. Can’t comment other than we had a drinks at the lounge in the Montage. Very nice property. Spent the day at the spa their before hand and was absolutely the best spa experience we’ve had.

Danny, many thanks for your suggestions. Ive only skied down to Montage and the St. Regis and ventured in a couple of times to warm up and check them out after first openiong; both are impressive, but Im still a Stein Eriksen loyal guest year after year.

I appreciate your comments about noise, close seating proximity and where to sit. This is pertinent to our choices. It sounds like River House is a consideration for the first night in PC.

Two suggestions for you: River Horse and Chez Betty. I ate at both in October and both were excellent, with Chez Betty being better by a nose. Both graciously allowed us to bring our own wine for the main course – RH may have charged a small corkage, while Chez Betty waived any corkage fee. (I’m sure it didn’t hurt that we shared with our waiter.) River Horse is definitely a see and be seen type of a place – chic and slick. I didn’t particularly like the bartender there – the bar is upstairs and while we waited for the rest of our party to arrive, I thought that we were ignored a bit too long even though the bar was pretty empty at the time. Chez Betty was a delight all around and treated us like royalty with food to match.

Have fun at Stein’s – don’t miss the Sunday brunch where you can get heaping plates of bacon soaked in some sort of maple syrup-goodness. Yummmm. Great people watching place too – I get a kick out of watching the fur-clad set.

Chez Betty was very good

Whoops – I misspoke. It was Silver, not River Horse, where I ate in October. Silver is, like River Horse, also on Main Street. Beautiful decor with the bar upstairs (and that indifferent bartender).

I mentioned to my Park City relatives that I had recommended Chez Betty on an internet bulletin board, and they admonished me for letting out a secret that only the locals know about.

Carrie, Alan, thank you for your recommendations. Carrie, I will not tell anybody you told me about Chez Betty.

We look forward to dining at these places.

When is your trip? I am planning my first visit to Park City the end of this month.

Merrill, we leave on Monday, February 4 for one week.

You planned that just to avoid me, I know [wow.gif] . I leave Monday morning the 4th FROM there to come back to Napa. Would have been fun.

We look forward to dining at these places.[/quote]

When is your trip? I am planning my first visit to Park City the end of this month.[/quote]

Merrill, we leave on Monday, February 4 for one week.[/quote]

You planned that just to avoid me, I know [wow.gif] . I leave Monday morning the 4th FROM there to come back to Napa. Would have been fun.[/quote]

Merrill, in your honor, I`ll be sure to avoid all black cats on the slopes. Enjoy your visit and leave some great snow.

Just back from Park City, following the recs above I had a few excellent meals.

Chez Betty - just off the Main St strip, can’t really walk from Main. nice bright room, very good service, very good food. Warning - if you order and finish the full size plate of Betty Spaghetti you will look like you’re about to give birth to twins… the petite plate is enough for a grown man.’

Silver - Right on Main St. Very nice room/atmosphere. Food was even a smidge better than Chez Betty.

Drifts - The Canyons base - Good apres ski bar. They have a creation called “tot”-chos…tater tot nachos… tastes as good as it sounds

Danny,

Thanks for the recommendations. We ate at Grappa and Ghidottis. Both were delicious. If anyone goes to Park City off-peak, both places have buy 1 entrée, get the other entrée free. Coupons are in the local PC paper. Ghidottis is a very pretty place. The food was surprisingly good. As a New Yorker, I’m always nervous eating Italian food away from a big city. It’s located in a shopping center up the road from PC. FYI, corkage is waived if you buy a bottle. Corkage $15.

Grappa is a very special place. Off season it’s very quiet. Our table was in front of the fireplace. Our server was aces. My wife ordered a corn bisque soup. I ordered a flatbread concoction. Both were top notch. Janice had the scallops and I ordered the filet mignon. This took steak house filet (if you eat that cut) to a new level. I’m sure these places are mobbed in season.

For those of you reading that don’t want to stay in Park City, or very close to it, the Kimball Junction exit of Park City has a variety of chain properties ‘at a price’. The ride is only 6 - 7 (10km) to downtown PC. Street parking is $1.50 an hour. There are a couple of lots offering free parking on the parallel street. Main Street runs up/down hill. Bring good walking shoes.

I can see why people come in the winter, because there’s nothing to do off-peak. neener We did do day trips that took us over some very interesting mountain pass’ and scenic byways. PM me for details.

I absolutely loved everything about Talisker on Main last February. Top notch. I probably posted over on Epicurean.

Dan great to hear. Yes Grappa is packed during the high season. One year during Sundance I walked in on AL Gore in the one person mens room. [snort.gif]