Dining in Ixtapa/ Zihuatanejo?

Well be spending 10 days at La Casa Que Canta in Zihuatanejo in December. They do have a very fine restaurant, but were looking for other options for some evenings. Are there any other restaurants in the area in the do not miss category?

Don’t miss Villa de la Selva! Beautiful place. The food and service are top notch. Tableside Caesar salad preparation done in the classic style, and the view is just amazing.

Make a reservation for sunset, you won’t be disappointed. Last time we were there for a week and ate there twice.

http://www.villadelaselva.com.mx/

Dave, you absolutely nailed it. This looks perfect. Even a somewhat worldly wine list. Any issues with getting reservations with a few days notice? Any table number for the best seat for 2 with a view?

I’m not too sure Blake, I’ve never been during that time, but that is the busy season so I would make it as far in advance as I could. I don’t know the table numbers, but the way they have the patio terraced, you really can’t go wrong as long as you are on the outside patio.

Dave, Ill probably go by the restaurant and try to connect with them beforehand and pick out a table of choice. We will be there from 12/12-22 so that should fall prior to their real busy time around Christmas and after. Im also taking some very good Champagne on this trip and may be able to take one there to celebrate my birthday. We`ll see. Thanks again.

The wife & I dined there some time ago. Try and time your dining experience to include the sunset.

Kau Kan in Zihua, almost next to La Casa Que Canta, was very nice if a bit lower key several years ago, but I stress several years ago…

John, I looked this one up and it looks like a winner as well. As you state, it`s close by and an easy walk from La Casa.

Blake - since you are there for a while, for a much more informal but delicous Mexican meal, we always visit Tamales y Atoles in downtown Zihua for out-of-this-world authentic tamales. I’ll get a sack to go and take to the beach with me. Delicious, good, authentic mexican and inexpensive.

Another local option is “La Sirena Gorda” Excellent local seafood. Very casual.

I appreciate the recommendations offered herein. As it turned out, we chose a meal plan and ate all of our meals at La Casa Que Canta. Their menu, service and ambience is sooooo stellar, we just did not want to leave and this was over a 10 day period.

Their head chef, Antonio, has been there now for a few years and he has got it together with a broad and very creative menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Additionally, he has daily specials featuring fresh, mostly local and even in some instances organic produce, fowl, meats and fish to accompany many fine homemade sauces, salsas, pastries, breads, jams, tortillas and corn chips.

This resort is a winner and especially so for couples.

Being a wine geek, I was somewhat satisfied with their wine list which is pretty basic and yet broad enough to offer some selections that pair nicely with some of the menu options. It was good to see Spiegelau stemware being used as well. I loved the margaritas on the rocks too.

I was wondering where you chose to go. Glad you had a good time and were satisfied. I’ve also dined at La Casa before and had a great meal there as well.

Dave, if we had ventured out for dinner, it would have been to Villa de la Selva first before any other. We did walk into Zihua one day for about an hour or so, my wife shopped and found what she wanted and we returned to La Casa. The only other “off premises” journeys was for my morning 6 mile walk back and forth on La Playa de Ropa which was 100 yards from the resort and back in the afternoons for snorkeling.

Thanks for your interest and recommendation.