Traveling in whale country - hangin' with blue whales!

I was fortunate enough to be able to hang out with some blue whales again today (went for the first time last year), and it was just a gorgeous day. These creatures are so magnificent, nothing can describe the scale of it. We saw 6 today, and many hundreds of dolphins, thanks to the jellyfish hoards crowding the Pacific right now.

A video is posted here - Blue whale coming up for air on Vimeo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And my photo album of selected shots here - Photobucket | Make your memories fun!" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nice pics! good to be out at sea then stuck in a library like me :frowning:

Awesome pics. Carrie and I just oohed and aahed from our offices. How long did you get to watch the whale?

‘the’ whale? We saw 6 blue whales, and hundreds and hundreds of various dolphins.

Do watch the video - it comes close to capturing the scale of just how huge these creatures are.

If you really want to have fun, listen to this video with your eyes closed and picture an orgy. [berserker.gif]

Though the sound cuts out half way through. [diablo.gif]

Talk about a blue whale! [shock.gif]

That’s odd that the sound cuts out half way through - wtf.

The one posted on FB has the full audio…

Where, exactly, are you Todd?

Dana Point, CA, or, more ‘exactly’, Monarch Beach, CA

Wow, you lucky guy. We never get shows like that in Monterey/PG/Pebble Beach/Carmel. Even in Big Sur, sightings are fairly rare. I was in Alaska about two weeks ago and saw nothing to compare with what you’ve captured.

We saw 6 this trip - 13 last year. Incredible to imagine, even more so to experience.