Pfalz/Strasbourg restaurant suggestions

We will be bicycling from Heidelberg to Strasbourg next month, and I’m hoping for some good restaurant recommendations along the route.

I’m interested in hearing winery suggestions as well, but:

1. That topic has already been covered exceptionally well in this thread:
    The Wines of Germanys Pfalz region. Discuss... - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

2. My long suffering spouse did not realize (but has since discovered to her horror) that she was booking a trip through wine hog heaven. I’m hoping to find some nice restaurants to partially make it up to her.

Here’s the itinerary, all suggestions welcome, especially for the places we’re staying overnight:

Day 1: Heidelberg to Worms
Day 2: Worms to Bad Durkheim
Day 3: Bad Durkheim to Neustadt
Day 4: Neustadt to Germersheim
Day 5: Germersheim to Bad Bergzabern
Day 6: Bad Bergzabern to Rastatt
Day 7: Rastatt to Strasbourg

M @ r k

Hi Mark,

Sounds like a really fun trip. The Bad Dürkheim leg to Neustadt is a really easy, very quick leg (an hour and a half tops). I would recommend visiting as many wineries as you can in that time as it’s the prime section of the Mittelhaardt.
I would recommend the following restaurants:

Leopold in Deidesheim:

Hofgut Ruppertsberger in Ruppertsberg

and Luther in Freinsheim:
http://www.luther-freinsheim.de/index_altern.html

I don’t know if you be around for this, but the Dürkheimer Wurstmarkt is also next month (7th-11th and 14th -17th of Sept.) It is the largest wine festival in the world (the Oktoberfest of wine), though doesn’t really focus on the finest wines of the region.

Have fun,
Bill

One of my favorites near Heidelberg (and in a nice wine village as well) is http://strahlenbergerhof.de/

Then there is a new *** Michelin in Mannheim http://www.restaurant-amador.de/. It’s in cycling/taxi distance from Heidelberg. Been there only before they got the stars.

Less expensive and sophisticated, but delicious rieslingdorf.de. If it fits into your route.

Thanks much guys for the suggestions.

Bill, we will be missing the Wurstmarkt. I have mixed feelings on that, but it may be just as well. If nothing else, it probably saved us money on the hotel. And it would be remiss of me not to offer a very special thanks for your excellent profile of Pfalz wines in the linked thread. Copious notes were taken.

M @ r k

You should check more recent reviews as they seem mixed, but we had a very good meal at L’Ancienne Douane in Strasbourg. It is fairly touristy but they had a good Choucroute and the best cured salmon I have ever had. There is nothing innovative for sure but I really enjoyed it.

You are welcome Mark. Thanks for the interest. If you are going to visit wineries, I can say that for my tastes, Rebholz (Siebeldingen), Karl Schaefer (Bad Dürkheim), Christmann (Gimmeldingen), and Koehler-Ruprecht (Kallstadt) had the greatest success in the current vintage (2011 for everyone but K-R, who releases about a year after most -their 2010 vintage was the best that I have ever tasted from them.) Always worth a visit are Bürklin-Wolf and Bassermann-Jordan. Müller-Catoir (Neustadt-Haardt) is also an amazing property, though their 2011s were a little disappointing overall. Oddly, I preferred the cheaper wines.

Again, have fun!

Cheers,
Bill

Hello,
In Strasbourg, restaurant “Au Pont Du Corbeau” offers a very typical Alsacian dish, based on local products. Great organic-oriented wine list.
La Vignette also has a great wine list.

Florian

Thanks to all, and I thought I’d put some post trip thoughts here. As stated, this was a bicycle trip which meant there was no reliable way to know when I would be in any give place, or when there would be time for detours. In the event, complicated routes and vague directions took their toll, so there was no time for any wineries that were not directly on the route. Fortunately, several were. Unfortunately, two that I was most keen on seeing were closed for lunch when we went by – Basserman-Jordan and Becker.

I was very appreciative of the gracious treatment we received at all of the wineries. Almost all were quite small operations with limited staff, but they were unfailingly kind to a couple of non German-speaking Americans who showed up on their doorstep without notice. Overall, the quality of the wines I tasted was outstanding. This was mostly Riesling and Spatburgunder, but the few other white varietals I tried also showed well. I would have liked to taste a wider range, but I was usually in a hurry, and I can’t taste more than a few wines in a short time period without experiencing palate fatigue, so I had to stay focused.

Brief notes on the wineries I did visit:

Koehler-Ruprecht
The first winery I visited, and I liked their wines best overall out of all I visited. This could be partly because their current vintage is still 2010 and those wines are exceptional. However, I did taste some of their back vintages of Riesling, as well as Spatburgunders from 2005 and 2006, and across the board they were great. Favorites from the back vintages included the 2006 Kallstadter Saumagen Riesling Auslese Trocken, and their 2005 and 2006 Spatburgunders. K-R have just signed with Dressner as their US importer so I’m looking forward to greater availability here, and will grab them whenever and wherever I can.

Pfeffingen
As with the previous estate, this visit was one of the few that was not rushed. As a result I got to taste a broad spectrum of wines. While the reds were decent, the whites were where the action was. The Rieslings were all 2011’s and showed well. My favorites were two spatlese trockens, the Terra Rossa and the Kalkstein from their Ungstein vineyards. 2011 non Rieslings worth noting are their Ungstein Chardonnay, the Weissburgunder and the absolutely amazing Ungstein Scheurebe trocken.

Mossbacher
This was a rushed visit and I was only able to taste three Rieslings, one 2010 (Forster Elster) and two 2011’s (Basalt and Buntsandstein). I liked all three but actually liked the 2011’s better. The clear favorite for me was the Buntsandstein.

A. Christmann
Tasted a few 2011 Rieslings and one 2010 Spatburgunder. Once again good quality across the board, my favorite of the ones I tasted was the 2011 Gimmeldingen Riesling.

Karl Schaefer
Unfortunately lost my notes. I know I liked their 2011 Wachenheimer Fuchsmantel, because I bought it.

Weegmuller
Even more rushed than usual, especially since things were crazy on their end as well as ours. I only had time to try their three “Charakterweine” Rieslings, two 2010’s and a 2011. I liked the 2011 (Herrenletten Der Mineralische) best, but all were good.

Random notes:

The Pfalz in many ways reminded me of Upstate NY (where I grew up) – but with more pigs, fewer cows, and a much more entrenched wine culture. I came away very impressed with the overall quality of Pfalz wines. Obviously the wineries I visited were not a random sample, they were among the first tier. Those wines compare well to the best from any region, anywhere. However, the wines I had throughout the trip in various restaurants (mostly modest ones) were almost all of decent quality or better.

It was interesting crossing back and forth between France and Germany and comparing the cultures. The discrepancy most apparent to us was in the night life. The French are just getting started as the Germans are getting ready to close down for the night – especially in the restaurants.

One word that shows up repeatedly in my tasting notes, for Rieslings in particular, is “fresh”. I don’t know if that has something to do with the 2011 vintage (which is mostly what I was drinking) or if it is because it was me instead of the wine that made the trip across the Atlantic.

I discovered that Dornfelder goes reasonably well with Italian food. I thought that was worth mentioning since this much maligned grape can use any good press it can get.

In regards to Spatburgunder, for my palate Germany makes better Pinot Noir than California, and it’s not even close. The same is probably true for Germany vs. Oregon, but unless you take price into account it’s a closer call.

Retail and Restaurant Notes:

Unfortunately timing didn’t work out for any of the recommended restaurants, with one happy exception – Au Pont du Corbeau in Strasbourg (thanks Florian!). We had a great meal there, accompanied by a wonderful Alsatian Riesling: Clement Lissner 2008 “Rothstein”

One of the other restaurant highlights was Zum Herrenberg in Ungstein. High quality food, reasonable prices, firmly rooted in tradition but inventive. They are either associated with or owned by Winzer Herrenberg-Honigsackel, and all of the wines were from there. Based on my limited sample, the wines were decent but it might be a good idea to look beyond the Spatburgunder and Riesling. While those were okay (with the Riesling better than the Spatburgunder) their Rivaner (which I tried based on the waiter’s recommendation) was really good.

Weinhaus Fehser in Heidelberg was an excellent wine shop with a good selection and reasonable prices.

Thanks again all for the research fodder. This is definitely a region worth visiting.

M @ r k

Great post Mark. I’m glad that you had such a good time. Yes. Germany is probably more climatically suited to Pinot Noir than California and I agree with you. Frankly, people don’t know what they are missing.

Cheers,
Bill

Thanks for your post, Mark. As with Bill and you, I like Koehler-Ruprecht’s Rieslings, especially the 2010 Saumagen Riesling Spätlese trocken among others. John Ritchie at Chambers Street Wines will surely have their wines. He also selected Karl Schaefer’s 2011 Fuchsmantel Riesling as a direct import, so that wine will be available in the States this autumn, as well.