Advice re Normandy and Brittany

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics
Scott Jameson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#51 Post by Scott Jameson » January 15th, 2018, 10:54 am

We spent a couple of days in Normandy 2 summers ago. We did a 2 day tour with https://www.overlordtour.com/. That was too much for my wife and close to it for me, but that's not the tour company's fault. The guides we had were knowledgeable and entertaining and I felt we saw so much more with them than we would have on our own. They offer a variety of half and full day tours and I suggest you spend a little time on their site and find something that includes the spots you want to see. We stayed in Bayeux, at the Hotel Le Bayeux. Pretty basic, in a great location in town, and about 1/3rd the price of the Villa Lara or Churchill. Highly recommended if all you're looking for is a nice place to sleep and grab a quick breakfast. We had an excellent dinner at Au Ptit Bistrot, right in Bayeux. This place has apparently been discovered by the TripAdvisor folks, so hopefully it's still good :-)

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by Andrew Kotowski » March 21st, 2018, 1:58 am

Jay Miller wrote:A timely bump as this is on our list of possible 2018 vacations. I remember Mont Saint Michel very fondly from my last trip (in 1985!) and Arnold has never been.
+1
Heading out next weekend, using Caen as our base. Hotel doesn't look overly exciting, but another family is running that part of the planning. Will post notes/pics.
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

Chris Blum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Chris Blum » April 29th, 2018, 10:17 am

Here is the excellent guide we used. http://www.normandy-battlefields.com/about-us.php

And here is their lovely b&b. http://chateau-beaulieu.org/index.html
"Well, wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit" -- Lucille Bluth
"The Packers f'n suck" -- Todd French

Tim McCracken

#54 Post by Tim McCracken » May 13th, 2018, 2:26 pm

If anyone is planning a trip to Normandy and wants a guide, I know a great guide who has taken me through the battlefields many times. He is really more for die-hard WWII buffs than the casual explorer, but we went places that you simply cannot get to without someone in the know. I've been five or six times, and I learn something new every time. PM me for more details.

To give some context, if you don't mind walking through cow dung to reach the exact place where the Band of Brothers destroyed the 105s at Brecourt Manor, you will love this.

Tim McCracken

#55 Post by Tim McCracken » July 8th, 2018, 6:13 am

If anyone is planning a trip to Normandy and is a WWII buff, my best piece of advice is this:

Visit WN-60 at Omaha Beach during low tide.

It is by far THE best perspective of the entire beach and gives a great understanding of just how much exposure the soldiers had while landing.

You can look up WN-60 on Google Maps. Note, there is a dirt road, then you park and have to walk the rest of the way on foot. But totally worth it.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by alan weinberg » July 8th, 2018, 8:36 am

normandifferently@admirall-co.com run by Frédéric Maillard offered a shitty guide and I would not recommend his service. Hotel had highly recommended him. Mistake.

Also uses website laconciergeriedubessin.fr

Chris Blum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Chris Blum » July 8th, 2018, 4:50 pm

What went wrong?

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Andrew Kotowski » July 8th, 2018, 7:24 pm

Chris Blum wrote:What went wrong?
The Germans won?

Chris Blum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Chris Blum » July 8th, 2018, 8:29 pm

Don’t mention the war!
376DE876-0CA5-4AA6-A017-A905BB4A5BB0.jpeg
376DE876-0CA5-4AA6-A017-A905BB4A5BB0.jpeg (20.99 KiB) Viewed 478 times

Jerry Hey

#60 Post by Jerry Hey » July 10th, 2018, 10:52 am

alan weinberg wrote:normandifferently@admirall-co.com run by Frédéric Maillard offered a shitty guide and I would not recommend his service. Hotel had highly recommended him. Mistake.

Also uses website laconciergeriedubessin.fr
I could be your guide but I'm VERY expensive.....

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Advice re Normandy and Brittany

#61 Post by T. Altmayer » March 19th, 2019, 9:19 pm

Anyone have any advice about staying in Normandy. We were going to take the train and stay (maybe Honfleur), but it looks like we would need to rent a car out there just to get around after our tour. Any thoughts.
Tom

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by M.Kaplan » March 20th, 2019, 12:31 pm

I like Honfleur quite a bit. Good restaurants and good hotels there. A bit of a drive (1.5 hrs, maybe a little less) to the Normandy beach landing and other sites. For those, I'd stay in/near Bayeux. Depending on how long you plan to be in the area, a night or two in Honfleur and a night or two in Bayeux is ideal (we spent 2 nights in Honfleur and 3 in Bayeux, from there touring WW2 sites for 2 full days, which was ideal). Driving is easy. We picked up a car at CDG and drove to Normandy, stopping along the way to Honfleur at Giverny (Monet's garden). Drove from Honfleur to Bayeux on a Sunday, stopping in Caen to visit the WW2 museum and then stopped to view the tapestry before checking in to the hotel outside of Bayeux, which was very convenient to and from the invasion sites.
---Mark

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by T. Altmayer » March 20th, 2019, 3:15 pm

Thanks Mark!
Tom

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by Andrew Kotowski » March 20th, 2019, 3:30 pm

T. Altmayer wrote:
March 19th, 2019, 9:19 pm
Anyone have any advice about staying in Normandy. We were going to take the train and stay (maybe Honfleur), but it looks like we would need to rent a car out there just to get around after our tour. Any thoughts.
We stayed in Caen, which was pretty cool. Hornfleur is prettier.

Pics from Normandy (and Giverny) along with thoughts on places to visit, etc. below.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=139893&hilit=normandy&start=300

T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by T. Altmayer » March 20th, 2019, 3:40 pm

Thanks Andrew, I forgot about your amazing thread. Now I've got more reading to do on Paris links.
Tom

John Osburn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by John Osburn » March 22nd, 2019, 1:00 pm

If you find yourself near Le Neubourg on a Wednesday, the farmers' market is amazing.

Tim McCracken

#67 Post by Tim McCracken » March 22nd, 2019, 5:52 pm

So I've been to Normandy for visiting maybe five or six times. Each time we stay in Bayeux. It is a nice town with a few hotels, and overall central to where you want to be. Highly recommend it.

And again, if anyone wants a tour guide, I can highly recommend Normandy Insight. HIGHLY recommended. We have been with the guide, Sean, almost every visit. He is a historical encyclopedia but he also keeps it interesting and entertaining at all times. And he has access to places that most people don't get to see.

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by George Hejna » March 23rd, 2019, 6:52 am

I have said this before and I will say it again.. This is truly a wonderful little hotel.

http://www.hotel-villalara.com/en/

George

Victor Hong

#69 Post by Victor Hong » March 24th, 2019, 5:52 am

Tim McCracken wrote:
July 8th, 2018, 6:13 am
If anyone is planning a trip to Normandy and is a WWII buff, my best piece of advice is this:

Visit WN-60 at Omaha Beach during low tide.

It is by far THE best perspective of the entire beach and gives a great understanding of just how much exposure the soldiers had while landing.

You can look up WN-60 on Google Maps. Note, there is a dirt road, then you park and have to walk the rest of the way on foot. But totally worth it.
On May 7, 2014, before the 70th Anniversary, my wife and I were the only persons on Omaha Beach, below Normandy American Cemetery, around 10:00AM (low tide), walking along tidal pools and a wrecked D-Day military vehicle, newly exposed from the sand (but out of picture view). She was wearing her long gray Burberry coat, and I was wearing faded blue jeans, my gray New York Fed fleece jacket, and a dark blue windbreaker. We ended up on the front page of the Wall Street Journal.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/d-day-deja- ... 01715482#1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAsdKq2ellk

A tide table for St.-Malo, westward of Omaha Beach, corroborates our timing: http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/loca ... 14&m=5&d=7
x.jpg
WineHunter.

Return to “Travel Forum”