Chicago? Chicago! Talk to me...

So I need to be in Chicago from July 1 to July 6, both for business and pleasure. As someone who hasn’t been back in 11 years, what would native Chicagoans (Chicagoites?) recommend as places and things to see? FYI, I am staying in the River North area (thank you Priceline!).

I don’t want Michelins or super high-end stuff, I am talking the hidden nooks and crannies that every city has and that make them unique.
Cheers! [gen_fro.gif]

Michel - are you looking for food recommendations or sightseeing or???

Traci is addicted to the cheese popcorn from Nuts on Clark (she calls it Agent Orange).

Chicago style pizza - I like Lou Malnati’s.

Hot Doug - for gourmet hot dogs like the Foie Gras Dog and killer duck fat fries.

Johnny’s Italian Beef - western edge of the city. Gotta know the lingo when ordering a beef sandwich - give me a juicy beef sweet/hot - beef with juices and both sweet and hot peppers, for example.

North Pond restaurant was always good for an upscale lunch and it’s in the middle of Lincoln Park

Blackbird is one of my favorite restaurants in the whole city…love that place.

I think Manlin’s crib would satisfy your needs.

Yellow!

I’ve always been a fan of Giordano’s for pizza.
For tapas, go to Cafe Iberico. GREAT tapas and sangria.

A lot of great restaurants in the area you are in.

Tony, Rick, these are the suggestions I’m looking for. I plan on taking a day and walking from joint to joint (if possible). I’d love to take in the architecture as well, museums less so (unless it’s raining). To me, getting to know a city means wandering on foot, seeing how the people really live.

Which is why LA is not a city. [gheyfight.gif]

Michel - that time of year, definitely cruise on over to Lake Michigan and either run the “beach” or walk north and dip your toes into the Lake. Should be perfect. Plus, you can walk to Lincoln Park (the zoo is free) and have lunch at North Pond.

Cafe Iberico is super fun. Food is good not great but inexpensive and a terrific place to watch some soccer and drink a little inexpensive vino…I always forget about Iberico but have been a bunch in the past.

You can also check out the Frank Lloyd Wright homes in the western part of the city. Some tours there.

Having just been there I can vouch for Hot Doug’s, Avenues, and The Bristol

Since you are in River North, I’d say Mr Beef for Italian beef (Johnny’s is about 15 miles away)

Best cheese popcorn would be from Garrett’s (Mich. ave closed I think…)
Garrett’s
at the Merchandise Mart
222 Merchandise Mart Plaza
Chicago, IL 60654
(river north location)

Blackbird / Avec are both walking distance (not the greatest walk but a walk no the less from RN)

Get Scott to take you to The Bristol (or get him to call there to let them know to take care of you)

I don’t want Michelins or super high-end stuff, I am talking the hidden nooks and crannies that every city has and that make them unique.

for food info that is not great but not super-high-end I’d
look at LTHforum.com for local stuff. I post my food shots there but since Iive in the 'burbs I just do not keep up with what’s going on down town much…

Though, for pizza I really like Coalfire on west grand (1.5 miles or so west of RN)
THIN crust but really good. cheap and cheerful Italian wine list or byo for maybe $10…
Wish I was in town then but we’ll be on Fire Island that week.

Love Hot Doug’s but be prepared for a wait. (cab ride too)

Slightly higher end would be Naha right in RN… great food

mel

Michel, a few new (for you) architectural highlight musts — the new Aqua residential tower at Lake and Columbus, and four blocks south, the new Modern Wing at the Art Institute. About midway between them, you’ll pass Millenium Park… see Cloud Gate sculpture and the Gehry-designed Band Shell.

And if you need tapas, skip Iberico, go to Mercat a la Planxa in the Blackstone Hotel about three blocks south of the Art Institute. Makes Iberico look like Applebee’s.

Keep in mind, this area will be totally nuts with Taste of Chicago in the area that week.

Skip Garretts. Although great and a Chicago institution, they’ve opened up a location at 34th and 8th.

This guy knows what he’s talking about. Mercat rules. Also, you should take an architectural riverboat cruise.

Late night, definitely The Weiner Circle.

Ask for a chocolate shake.

NSFW below (language) but true Chi-Town.

Wilfred, I’ll be there the next weekend and was planning on the architectural tour (studied in college) - I saw one given by the architectural institute. Is there one you recommend?

We’ll be there for a long weekend starting July 10. Staying at the Sofitel near the Hancock. These recommendations are helpful. Taking in a Cubs game on Sunday. Not sure how much time we’ll have for museums though. Among them, which are the standouts- Field (Pirates exhibition!), Science and Industry (U-Boat!), Art Institute?

Caution on Wiener’s Circle

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1340731,wieners-circle-health-inspectors-shut-down-121908.article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I recommend the one that is actually sponsored by the architectural society. http://www.architecture.org/tour_view.aspx?TourID=8

LOL, with its bawdry and unkempt persona, the Weiner’s Circle is still a winner. Kind of like the “dirty water hot dog” in NYC.

Oooh cool. I will look into this if I have some time during my stay.

Thanks all, you guys rock! And if anyone wants to walk alongside me while I visit some of these places, you are very welcome to do so. [highfive.gif]

Chris,
My vote is for S & I. They recently did a huge overhaul of the u-boat exhibit and it is well worth it. The room that it’s in is impressive in it’s own right. The sub used to be outside but due to our fun climate, it was slowly falling apart.

Enjoy
Craig