NZ wineries

Hello there-- good to see so many familiar “faces” in here! My husband and I are traveling to New Zealand next month for a much anticipated road trip. My plan is to spend as much time as humanly possible in hiking boots and outside civilization, but we will have a day in Marlborough. Any suggestions for a winery or two to visit?

Thanks! [cheers.gif]

If you’re only visiting a couple of wineries, i’d shoot for the best producers. Some options:

Terravin (esp for their Pinots from the hillsides)
Fromm (for everything they make)
Dog Point (some of the best SB and very good Pinot)
Seresin (whole range)
It might also be worth visiting one of the wineries doing great aromatics - Huia, Lawsons Dry Hills or Johanneshof

I’m not sure if all of these are open to the public (specifcally Dog Point and Terravin), but it’s worth an email.

Thanks Clayton!

Serge, I can always count on you to have already been where ever I’m going or wish to go. Unfortunately, we won’t be on the North Island at all. We initially planned to fly into Auckland and tour the North Island first, but to grant my three wishes (Yellow Eyed Penguins, a hike on the Franz Joseph Glacier, and time in Milford Sound) my fairy godhusband revised our itinerary so that we’re on the South Island only.

Your pictures look beautiful, though!

Yep! Portland → Redmond (!?) → SFO → Auckland → Christchurch. What were the highlights of your visit to the South Island?

Beautiful pictures. I laughed-out-loud at “future pork chop.” I assume you were there in the southern summer? We haven’t been able to get a lot of advice on winter travel there. Did you find the sandflies bothersome? One of my guide books makes them sound like hell on Earth. The other barely mentions them at all.

So I’m not missing anything important at Rotorua? That was my only hesitation about skipping the North Island.

And… I hesitate to even ask… but did you visit any of the Lord of the Rings locations?

your certainly not missing anything at Rotorua… over rated in my opinion. I think Hawkes Bay and the far north are probably the biggest things you miss by not doing the North Island.