Paris & Champagne - March 12-17th

Anyone feel like going that week?

I found a “cheap” nonstop from Boston for $600.

You can get an expedited Passport in less than 3 weeks right?

If I lived in Beantown I would be in.

My PP doesn’t expire till 2011 and I have nothing better to do.

The only problem is that if I am making the trip, I’d rather do BDX

I just picked up the intermediate Rosetta Stone to brush up my four years of hs French. I can read the shit, just have a hard time conversing/understanding when someone is rambling.

But I’m safe if I expedite my passport application right?

The Post Office by my office has the photo capability, looks like expedited is 3 weeks or less. I’m stoked b/c I havent seen less than $800+ for nonstop, and this nervous flyer doesnt do connections/layovers. I might not get on the next plane [bye2.gif] .

I think they say three weeks or less just to cover their ass. My sister got one in less than one week for a trip to Costa Rica.

Cool. I’m buying my ticket tomorrow after I hit the PO.

The flight there is perfect. I take my valium and dramamine and wake up fresh as a daisy in Paris, with a full day ahead of me. :sunglasses:

Air France
Flight 337 Departs: 6:30p
Logan Inter­national (BOS) Arrives: 6:10a
Ch. De Gaulle (CDG)
Coach | Fare code: QLXSL10 | Boeing 747-400 Passenger (Wide-body Jet) | 6h 40m | 3436 miles | 9+ seats remain

Return – Thu Mar 19 2009
Air France
Flight 332 Departs: 1:15p
Ch. De Gaulle (CDG) Arrives: 3:55p
Logan Inter­national (BOS)
Coach | Fare code: QLXSL10 | Boeing 747-400 Passenger (Wide-body Jet) | 7h 40m | 3436 miles | 9+ seats remain

Pete you should be fine, you’ll get it in less than three weeks (do it soon though). I did mine regular service and got it in a week and half (don’t rely on that though)…if it wasn’t for TX, Arizona and Israel, all before August, I’d be there with you!

Okay Zachy, what’s the story re: Israel?

By the way…

Where the hell is our “rock on” avatar?

OMG! [laughingneqw.gif]

Thanks for the invite to Israel!

Folks who have been to France, if I’m seeking cool places to eat (cafes, bistros etc, not 4 star joints), drink and people watch, where is ideal:

13th arrondissement, near the Place d’Italie

16th arrondissement, near the Trocadéro

12th arrondissement, Bercy

8th arrondissement, Champs Elysées

Peter

Will you also post the places you plan to taste in Champagne?

I always stay in the 1st arr., but getting around is very easy. Not in your chosen arrs, but, for bistros, I like L’Os á Moelle in the 15th (3 rue Vasco da Gama), simple, cheap, but comfortingly reliable.

Other favorites (I make it a point to eat there at least once whenever in Paris) are Aux Lyonnais in the 2nd arr. (32 rue St-Marc) and Le Soufflé in the 1st arr (36 rue de Mont Thabor).

Touristy, campy/cheesy but so charming and a lot of fun, especially when you get the past midnight munchies, is the Au Pied de Cochon, also in the 1st arr. at 6 rue de Coquillère - open 24/7. Forget the “famous” onion soup there - lousy/salty -I always go for the moules farci, os á moelle, boudin noir and the fresh oysters. Wash it down with their Joseph Mellot Sancerre “La Gravelière” - inexpensive but so good. Their signature pig’s trotter dishes (hence their name) are ok, I guess, but, since that’s an ordinary dish here in the Philippines, I don’t find it anything great.

There are many others. PM me if you need more info on restaurants or other matters.

Melissa - will do.

LMD - thanks for the reccos! Oysters and Sancerre, YUMMO (nod to bob wood)!

I like the 9th arr best. YMMV.

I like the 16th. It is not very expensive and very close to Chapms Elysees. I really like Hotel Star Etoile and Hotel Cecilia. Both are 2 min from the Arc and not very expensive. Google the hotels and the reviews on tripadvisor.com. Metro right below the Arc.

Otto

I prefer the 1st arr. to be closest to the Louvre - also not a far walk to the Orsay. I can spend days just looking at the paintings and sculptures. My wife spends even more time than I in those museums, so when my feet get tired, I walk over to the Tuilleries and have a cigar and an espresso (or two) until she’s done.

Re Aux Lyonnais - if you like calf’s liver, try the one there. They also have the best oeuf cocotte i’ve ever had - better than Robuchon’s and cheaper too.

Found it