El Bulli

Crazy question here. We’re going to be in Barcelona in July and basically, we completely dropped the ball in attempting to get a reservation back in November, or whenever all the reservations are made (and are filled within the course of a day). It occurred to us that not all reservations can be used by the original reservers. Is there a secondary market (say on craigslist or ebay) for El Bulli reservations? Is it possible to call and get cancellations? Does anyone have any insights? We’re going to be in the Barcelona area from July 5 through 9 and would basically be willing to go any of those nights.

Call El Bulli just before you go or just after you get to Barcelona. There are cancellations and sometimes places available, especially if you’re flexible.

We tried for a couple of years offering up the entire 6 months they as an option for our reservation and placing the request within a day of their book opening up. Nothing.

However, in this economy, things may be changing and I always think it’s worth a shot and I would be trying again if we were heading over there.

Chris

Joshua, do a good search on the secondary market aspect. I remember a website popping up last year with that exact premise.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1310&item=190311624336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if you can extend your trip for a few days…

Outstanding, just for the confirmation number…
I have not eaten at El Bulli and I am sure it is great, but I have had meals prepared by chefs trained in the school. Too much foam and not enough food for my taste. BTETO

Thanks for the insights, all.

My guess is that we’ll wind up giving up – it is a huge commitment to get there when there are many very good options in Barcelona as it is.

Here’s a tip: PM Ed Kurtzman. He knows a guy … [big_boss.gif]

I’m not kidding. PM him

Been there.
Great experience, great night.
But it’s not ‘dinner’.
Glad I went once, no need to go again…

The only people I know to have been are

1 Peter Hirsch
2 Jay Miller
3 Jorge Ordonez

That’s insane to pay that kind of money just for the reservation for 2!

Oh well, it looks like someone ponied up. I wouldn’t do it for anywhere close to that price. I might pay someone $50, but not $1250!

Chris

If someone can get 1250 for a reservation, maybe El Bulli should make a little extra cash by auctioning off reservations. That is insane.

A lot of the guys who trained under Feran are doing fantastic stuff at their own places now. Those places are easier to get into and overall better experiences IMO. But you should go to El Buli once if you can.

Extebarri is another world class option, albeit lengthier from Barca. I am going to try this year to plan a trip around reservations (the day they dole them out). I wonder if they allow corkage? I’d bring some plonk, anyways…

When you get to Barcelona, call the daily and be prepared to zip up to Roses. From what I’ve heard, this had about 1/3 success rate. May be better now as people who made their reservations so long ago may not want to keep them now.

It is worth it. Not to say everything is great, but it put a different perspective on things. Maybe not so much now (we went in '01) as the stuff is imitated all over, mostly poorly.

A.