Dubai?

Anyone been to Dubai?

Was hoping to stop by for 4-5 days… anyone have experience with things to do, places to visit, or even specific companies to go with (i.e. for desert tours, etc)

hotel / restaurant info?

Thanks!

Hi-

Summer before last I visited my brother for a week there. One evening we did a “Desert Safari” (IIRC: Desert Safari in Dubai - Evening Desert Safari" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), and all in all it was a good time. LOTS of dune bashing - a bit overdone for my tastes, and some were having sicky problems. The camel rides were a bit sad - sorta like pony rides at a state fair – but I guess it wasn’t too hard on the camels. The BBQ was fine, and a big hats off to the belly dancer! Came out and did about 40 mins., VERY active, in the 100+ deg. evening heat.

Had a good Lebanese meal at the place that overlooks the indoor ski slope. Also a nice Italian lunch at Cucina at the Marriott (also pricey). Cheaper eats are all over, with fastfood galore (KFC is big there), and lots of options in the many malls. My favs were mid-price, fresh, middle eastern places. Booze can be ordered in a restaurant that is connected to a hotel. Prices are inflated. There is a wine bar in the annex of the mall next to the Burj. Sort of over the footbridge, on the water. Get your 2002 LT there! To buy wine/booze/alc at a store you need an “alcoholic licence”. My bro had one (I want, I want!), and it only makes sense for those staying quite a while. The other option is to drive. Dubai is an Emirate that allows alc with restrictions. The next Emirate over allows NO alc. However, the one next to that allows with few restrictions, and we went to a big wine/licker sto there. Then you pack/hide it all carefully in the car, for you must drive through the place of no alc. Fun fun!

My Bro did the observation deck at the Burj, and got out before the Gov. bounced the check to the elevator company. It hadn’t officially opened when we went up. It’s a great ride, impressive view, BUT it tends to quite hazy. They were putting in some very advanced computer stuff in the telescopes to take care of that. The price hadn’t been set yet, but I think it’s way up there.

If you are going to be driving, take a cab if you have a drink. They are actually pretty reasonable, and DWI are handled with no-argument 3 yr. stays.

So, that’s my .02, I’m sure there are others here who have more experience and may chime in. Have fun!

I go 2-3 times a month on business. Best time is late October to April as it’s too damn hot otherwise. Plethora of hotels to choose from but it’s not cheap - the whole place is clearly pitched as a luxury destination.

For leisure rather than business, I would highly recommend the Madinat Jumeirah resort complex. It has 2 hotels and a section of large villas with 4 or 5 guestrooms in each villa - villas are beautiful and very relaxing. You get around the whole place by waterboat as it’s full of canals. It’s a bit like disneyland arabia (!) but it’s incredibly well done and seriously high end. There’s a large shopping mall/fake souk attached and beautiful “town” square etc etc which are fun, attractive places to walk around at night with lots of activity. It really is beautiful and impressive and there are literally hundreds of restaurants/wine bars to choose from.

http://www.jumeirah.com/en/Hotels-and-Resorts/Destinations/Dubai/Madinat-Jumeirah/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We were only there for 4 days and we never left the resort. Things you could do if you had more time are:

Burj Dubai (world’s tallest building) in central Dubai - ride to the top. It’s a truly amazing building.

Burj Al Arab - only 7* hotel in the world. Gaudy beyond belief!

Visit F1 world in Abu Dhabi (45 min drive) - world’s fastest roller coaster designed to simulate what it’s like being in an F1 car!

Jumeirah has a desert hotel which is supposed to be very nice but we didn’t go given our short trip.

Overall, Dubai is a very modern and exciting place for a short trip but it’s also very “fake” so if you’re looking for a “real”, local experience you won’t find it there. Take it for what it is though and you’ll have a great time

Feel free to pm me if you have more questions.

Dan.

sweet… thanks for the responses so far… i"ll definitely PM if we decide to go.
we’ve got about 5-6 days… trying to decide between Dubai vs Maldives/Langkawi
(busy, city vs beach)
:slight_smile:

Just in the neighborhood? [rofl.gif]

Dubai is just as much a “beach” holiday as Maldives/Langkawi, it’s just not a desert island type place and there’s some other stuff to do as well whereas there isn’t at all at the other 2.

Al maha is amazing!

I couldn’t really imagine flying from the US to Dubai for a short break, unless you really enjoy flying.

I lived next door in Abu Dhabi for 8 years and we rarely went, if we did it was usually with the kids to the theme parks.

Staying there later this year. Then just tacking on 36 hours in Dubai proper.

Any recommendations for a relaxing dinner in Dubai before we head back home? We have a reservation already at Coya at the Four Seasons.

Wow. I started this thread 11 yrs ago?!

Ended up going to Langkawi for a week back in 2010 :joy:Pretty nice But Maldives is better

Separately, Dubai was fun on another trip. So much to do! Altho a bit “manufactured” feel. Loved a day trip to Abu Dhabi to see the biggie mosque. Lovely.

Anyone eat at Michael Mina’s place at the four seasons in the financial center? We aren’t staying there, but it looks good/reasonable.