SF restaurant recs?

Will be in SF on Friday. I really don’t know that city too well (other than a great place for dim sum in Chinatown). Does anyone have restaurant recommendations?

Veronica, are you going to be in a particular area of the city, or do you have no constraints there?

staying at the Hilton Union Square but no constraints really.

I have not been in years but I have really enjoy Piperade for Basque food in the past.

Piperade

(415) 391-2555
1015 Battery Street
San Francisco, CA 94111

Never been but have heard great things:
Gary Danko
1015 Battery Street
San Francisco, CA 94111
(415) 749-2060
Gary Danko

Plumpjack
3127 Fillmore St
San Francisco, CA 94123
(415) 563-4755
Plumpjack

I always make it a point to spend at least a week in SF when in the US. Lots of great restaurants there and Jeff has already mentioned some (e.g., Gary Danko’s; Michael Mina’s is also very good). For fine dining, you have very many choices and most anyone can point you to them, so I won’t dwell on those.

Personally, when in town, I go to Thanh Long (Judah Street) at least once. The branch on Polk named Crustacean is ok, but I much prefer the original restaurant on Judah. The crab and noodles are simply a must.

For a simple, cheap, but enjoyable meal of moules, frites and fresh oysters with some nice, crisp white wine, I enjoy Plouf in Belden Place.

I also like The House on Grant. Very good food at very reasonable prices. Corkage is extremely reasonable but I can’t remember how much exactly.

High End: Danko, Dining Room at Ritz, Michael Mina
Still Very Nice, not as formal: Boulevard, Plump Jack, Slanted Door

Among those above…

JD

I found an amazing neighborhood restaurant last summer in the Hayes Valley area http://www.barjules.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I’d skip A16 (too much hype and food isn’t that great) and go to SPQR. Def. hit Tartine and Foreign Cinema as well.

Farallon is located on Post Street right near Union Square. I enjoyed the seafood and desserts there.

Veronica,

I stayed at the Adagio Hotel just west of Union Square on Geary back in January, and dined at the Cortez Restaurant on their lobby floor. A very eclectic menu with good service and a knowledgeable staff regarding wine selections.

http://www.cortezrestaurant.com/

We had a wonderful meal at Gary Danko a couple of years ago, but our favorite is Boulevard. We go to Boulevard for either Lunch or Dinner every time we are in San Francisco and have never had a bad meal.

Guess I’m a little late for dinner recs, but Danko is very special. I have a breakfast rec pretty near your hotel. It’s called the Pinecrest Diner. If you like hash browns, this is the place!
Maybe I should post that in the bacon thread too . . .

Love breakfast at the Pinecrest Diner!

+1

We passed by the Pinecrest Diner and would have gone in there for breakfast if we hadn’t already just had breakfast at Sears Fine Food, which was Awesome! (ahhhh, eggs benedict). Thanks for your recommendations. It was a week of good eating. We went to: Bistro Jeanty in Yountville, Martini House, Cindy’s Backstreet Kitchen in St. Helena, Rutherford Grill, Toastie’s (for breakfast) in Pacific Grove, and Artisan in Paso Robles. Even the little hole-in-the-wall in Buttonwillow was awesome (Willow Ranch BBQ). It was a great trip!

Good to know you didn’t go hungry in SF!!!