Paris apartment rental: bad experience at RentParisNow.com...

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics, including restaurants
Victor Hong

#1 Post by Victor Hong » August 11th, 2010, 8:16 am

.... via VRBO.com.

Recently, I used VRBO to rent Paris apartments, which referred me to:

http://www.RentParisNow.com or http://www.parisapartmentrental.biz/

Be very careful of patronizing this Paris apartment agent, which I do not recommend, because of business practices. While the apartments and landlords themselves were fine, the agent overcharged my credit card several times without authorization, refused to refund overcharges or to justify with written itemized bills, and went utterly non-communicative. Per the contract, I incurred no cancellation, damage, foreign-exchange, cleaning, or other fees. Indeed, one sweet landlord loved how I cared for her place, and kindly invited me to stay at her apartment again. My credit-card company had to intervene. VRBO.com agreed about my plight, but was otherwise unhelpful.
Last edited by Victor Hong on September 18th, 2011, 8:48 am, edited 21 times in total.
WineHunter.

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: VRBO. Be wary of referrals to sub-agents like RentParis

#2 Post by Michel Abood » August 11th, 2010, 11:01 am

Wow, I'm shocked, I've used VRBO but have always dealt directly with the home-owners. I almost always rent my apartments and houses this way and have never had an issue. Sorry you had a bad experience but thanks for the heads-up.
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

Victor Hong

#3 Post by Victor Hong » August 11th, 2010, 1:23 pm

Michel Abood wrote:Wow, I'm shocked, I've used VRBO but have always dealt directly with the home-owners. I almost always rent my apartments and houses this way and have never had an issue. Sorry you had a bad experience but thanks for the heads-up.
Subject: RE: VRBO: #228027 & #242308 - Apartment operator has overbilled, but will not refund (http://www.vrbo.com/2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; [ ref:00D78VtP.500***PB4:ref ]
To: "vhong_****@***.com" <vhong_****@***.com>
Date: Monday, May 3, 2010, 1:04 PM

Dear Victor,

Thanks for your email. I'm sorry that we are unable to provide you details of the status of this dispute. As we are simply the listing service for individuals to advertise their properties, and you are also a client of VRBO.com, we are unable to actually mediate disputes. Our procedure is to note both sides of the story and closely monitor accounts that have had a complaint filed. I assure you that we have taken the appropriate action in this case, and will not hesitate to take additional action when necessary.

Please understand that we have done all we can here and this case is considered closed.

I'm sorry again for your experience and that this dispute was not resolved to your satisfaction. We wish you all the best and many happy future travels.

Best Regards,
Melissa
VRBO.com® Trust & Security
http://www.vrbo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WineHunter.

Victor Hong

#4 Post by Victor Hong » August 11th, 2010, 1:30 pm

Another reason to question VRBO about whether or not it protects consumers/travelers, particularly the candor and usefulness of its "customer reviews".
My feedback was rejected, despite having stayed several nights at these locations, as a courteous, respectable, (over)paying guest.
Date: Wednesday, August 11, 2010, 4:26 PM

Thank you for submitting your review. The purpose of the review system is to give travelers an opportunity to comment on the experience of renting a vacation property. We can only post reviews that are consistent with our review policies and guidelines which can be found by clicking on the link below or copy/paste the link into your browser:

http://help.vrbo.com/help/ViewDocument.aspx?id=2335" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The review you submitted does not meet our guidelines and it cannot be posted at this time.

Your review must be in your own words. We will not modify or change the content you submit, nor can we tell you how to change your review to conform with the guidelines because giving you guidance as to what to say is the same thing as modifying or editing it ourselves. We invite you to resubmit your review. Before you do that, please take a minute to read our guidelines. You can then resubmit it by clicking on the link below or copy/paste the link into your browser. Your current review text is displayed at the bottom of this message.

http://www.vrbo.com/reviews/edit?rid=c4 ... 8OMt2Bx79V" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you for using VRBO,
VRBO
WineHunter.

John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: VRBO bad experience: referrals to RentParisNow

#5 Post by John Davis » August 11th, 2010, 2:41 pm

Wow. I've had great luck (though limited to Chicago).... Makes me wonder.

JD
ITB

Victor Hong

#6 Post by Victor Hong » August 12th, 2010, 7:25 am

http://www.city-data.com/forum/travel/5 ... -vrbo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WineHunter.

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by George Hejna » August 12th, 2010, 8:25 am

I have noticed in very poplular tourist areas when you "contact and owner" on VRBO you are often reffered to a rental agency, real estate company etc. This just happened to me with a house I wanted to rent in Grand Cayman. Found it on VRBO went through the contact procedures and was contacted by the agent. She seemed very, nice and professional and good reference so I rented the house from her. Hopefully I will have better luck than Victor. [thumbs-up.gif]

Maybe VRBO needs a new name. [swearing.gif]

George

Victor Hong

#8 Post by Victor Hong » August 12th, 2010, 8:57 am

George Hejna wrote:I have noticed in very poplular tourist areas when you "contact and owner" on VRBO you are often reffered to a rental agency, real estate company etc. This just happened to me with a house I wanted to rent in Grand Cayman. Found it on VRBO went through the contact procedures and was contacted by the agent. She seemed very, nice and professional and good reference so I rented the house from her. Hopefully I will have better luck than Victor. [thumbs-up.gif]

George

George, just try to reach a customer-service representative at VRBO.com. Rots of Ruck.
Last edited by Victor Hong on August 13th, 2010, 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
WineHunter.

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by George Hejna » August 12th, 2010, 1:20 pm

Victor Hong wrote:
George Hejna wrote:I have noticed in very poplular tourist areas when you "contact and owner" on VRBO you are often reffered to a rental agency, real estate company etc. This just happened to me with a house I wanted to rent in Grand Cayman. Found it on VRBO went through the contact procedures and was contacted by the agent. She seemed very, nice and professional and good reference so I rented the house from her. Hopefully I will have better luck than Victor. [thumbs-up.gif]

George
Fodor's stripped my feedback of VRBO.com and ParisApartmentRental.biz, claiming that it violated user terms by being commercial or offensive, or that I did not stay at the property (but I did stay and pay fully for several nights). Another site to question deeply.

George, just try to reach a customer-service representative at VRBO.com. Rots of Ruck.
VRBO paints it self as just the web page where people can put their properties for rent. That would be like complaining to the Chicago Tribune if you bought a bad used car from their classified section. Although VRBO does sell trip insurance and generated $4.3M in sales last year, I assume from advertising. I would think their CS department would only involve rental placements.

GH

Victor Hong

#10 Post by Victor Hong » August 12th, 2010, 3:15 pm

A quick perusal of Google indicates that even property owners are upset about the inaccessibility of VRBO assistance.
WineHunter.

Ed Bernasky

#11 Post by Ed Bernasky » August 12th, 2010, 3:31 pm

Victor

Did you pay a fee to VRBO?

If not, why do you expect customer service? Seriously.

Although I do not pretend to understand their business model and having only used VRBO once (happily), the service seemed obviously to be caveat emptor. Again, I did not look into any protections that VRBO might offer. I looked at the transaction as if I needed to qualify my vendor.

Victor Hong

#12 Post by Victor Hong » August 12th, 2010, 3:46 pm

Ed Bernasky wrote:Victor

Did you pay a fee to VRBO?

If not, why do you expect customer service? Seriously.

Although I do not pretend to understand their business model and having only used VRBO once (happily), the service seemed obviously to be caveat emptor. Again, I did not look into any protections that VRBO might offer. I looked at the transaction as if I needed to qualify my vendor.
I did not pay a separate fee to VRBO, if I recall correctly.
My understanding is that VRBO gets paid to refer us travelers to either local agents or property owners. Based upon that, it should ensure fair, reasonable, and honest business practices of all service providers whom it represents for revenue.

Here are where I had stayed, posted on its site.
http://www.vrbo.com/228027" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.vrbo.com/242308" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The landlords and their properties were fine, but both VRBO and agent to which it referred me were not recommended, based upon my experience.

I have been repeatedly trying to post honest, non-emotional, non-attacking, reasonable, justifiable feedback on VRBO about the properties. However, VRBO has been declining each draft, apparently unless I largely delete any critical statement. Yet, if I were absolutely and emotionally effusive about VRBO, its properties, and its referrals, it would certainly welcome that sentiment, regardless of veracity. How tilted and questionable, as a source of consumer help and advice.
WineHunter.

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by George Hejna » August 12th, 2010, 6:19 pm

Victor,
VRBO according to their website takes no commision from the property owners who list their property there.

Ts&Cs are here http://www.vrbo.com/global/termsandconditions.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not letting you post your reviews is another issue all together.

George

Victor Hong

#14 Post by Victor Hong » August 12th, 2010, 8:09 pm

George Hejna wrote:Victor,
VRBO according to their website takes no commision from the property owners who list their property there.

Ts&Cs are here http://www.vrbo.com/global/termsandconditions.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not letting you post your reviews is another issue all together.

George
OK, I stand corrected. Apparently, VRBO gets paid to advertise the properties on behalf of landlords or their agents. Thanks.
WineHunter.

Victor Hong

#15 Post by Victor Hong » August 13th, 2010, 9:44 am

Fodors just allowed me to post the feedback. It inadvertently read my comment as an advertisement. Not really.
WineHunter.

Tom Moore

#16 Post by Tom Moore » August 17th, 2010, 9:38 pm

I have used VRBO 5 times in the last couple years and have had 3 ok rentals, 1 bad rental and 1 ripoff. I will confirm that they do not stand behind you as a consumer and the fact that the owner can remove a bad review from their own site infuriates me. What good are reviews if they aren't relevant?

I have since started using Homeaway.com with much better results.

The one ripoff experience I had was in Ojai, Ca. and was a house that was created just for this website. House was probably worth $750,000 and they were booked solid at $600 a night. The problem was the house was not finished and was barely habitable. That totals over $200,000 a year in rental income! No wonder scam artists are infiltrating the site, there is a lot of $$ to be made.

I would say if VRBO keeps traveling down same road, they are doomed as a business model. Lots of negative feedback going around.

Ed Bernasky

#17 Post by Ed Bernasky » August 18th, 2010, 4:09 am

I'll be more careful going forward with VRBO esp since the owner can remove poor feedback, which makes the whole operation troubling to me, I never expected more of VRBO than complete and accurate reviews and a means to contract owners.........thanks, Victor and Tom

Robert Pollard-Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Robert Pollard-Smith » August 18th, 2010, 8:48 am

I used VRBO twice last year for CO ski trips, with no issues. One of these was funneled to a rental agent, also.

But the fact that owners can "opt out" of having a "comments" section on their page is quite disturbing, and a red flag when shopping.
He's like a star on a foggy morning
When you think he's near, he's far away

Victor Hong

#19 Post by Victor Hong » August 18th, 2010, 2:32 pm

Tom Moore wrote:I have used VRBO 5 times in the last couple years and have had 3 ok rentals, 1 bad rental and 1 ripoff. I will confirm that they do not stand behind you as a consumer and the fact that the owner can remove a bad review from their own site infuriates me. What good are reviews if they aren't relevant?

I have since started using Homeaway.com with much better results.

The one ripoff experience I had was in Ojai, Ca. and was a house that was created just for this website. House was probably worth $750,000 and they were booked solid at $600 a night. The problem was the house was not finished and was barely habitable. That totals over $200,000 a year in rental income! No wonder scam artists are infiltrating the site, there is a lot of $$ to be made.

I would say if VRBO keeps traveling down same road, they are doomed as a business model. Lots of negative feedback going around.
HomeWay and VRBO are affiliated.

VRBO has allowed my watered-down review. Previously non-communicative, the agent now acknowledges my overcharge claims, but also says how they were automatically refunded, with full billing explanations. Based upon independent credit-card records, that is not the case. I have sent a screen-shot of his response to my credit-card company, in case he tries later to revise.
http://www.vrbo.com/228027
WineHunter.

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Michael O'Brien » August 18th, 2010, 3:39 pm

After several successful rentals through VRBO, I was stunned by an experience when I tried to post a review last month. Initially the reviews go directly to the owner/agent first and then to VRBO's compliance department.

I gave the property 3 /5 stars. When the rental agent received the review, I immediately received 7 angry text messges and 1 angry phone call from the agent. Now I think I know why so many properties have zero reviews. If the owner/agent doesn't like them, they threaten or harrass you. I will now question any property without reviews and even those with nothing but perfect reviews. VRBO's response to my concerns - nothing we can do unless I can submit written proof of extorion or threats.
PlanoWino

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by George Hejna » August 18th, 2010, 3:51 pm

Many rental sites through agencies operate the same way in terms of reviews. All reviews are sent to the rental agent who then posts them on their website. I have never had a bad rental so don't know if bad reviews are not posted but I would think they would be conveiniently lost. The moral of the story is a website is not merely enough information to rent a house. You need to talk (on the phone) to the owner or rental agent, ask lots of questions. I have asked for additional pictures an the owner has gone out and shot them and emailed them to me. There are also many independent sites like Trip Advisor where you can find people who have rented the house or locals who know the house. Lots of information to be found.

George

Victor Hong

#22 Post by Victor Hong » August 18th, 2010, 5:34 pm

Michael O'Brien wrote:After several successful rentals through VRBO, I was stunned by an experience when I tried to post a review last month. Initially the reviews go directly to the owner/agent first and then to VRBO's compliance department.

I gave the property 3 /5 stars. When the rental agent received the review, I immediately received 7 angry text messges and 1 angry phone call from the agent. Now I think I know why so many properties have zero reviews. If the owner/agent doesn't like them, they threaten or harrass you. I will now question any property without reviews and even those with nothing but perfect reviews. VRBO's response to my concerns - nothing we can do unless I can submit written proof of extorion or threats.
My agent simply responded with inaccuracies, in order to deflect an honest review.

UPDATE: The agent just opted his listing out of VRBO traveler reviews, for fear of honest user reviews of his questionable business practices and customer non-service.
Last edited by Victor Hong on October 12th, 2010, 6:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
WineHunter.

Victor Hong

#23 Post by Victor Hong » August 23rd, 2010, 8:20 pm

Citicard investigated this matter very carefully, ostensibly concluding that this agent had overcharged my account in an un-authorized manner, and had failed to justify via standard business billing. It has reimbursed me for several hundred dollars, altogether. I have written a follow-up note to VRBO.com, which earlier confirmed to me that the rental agency are under close monitoring. Moreover, I warned one apartment landlord about my torturous experience, with corroborating documentation from Citicard and VRBO, so that she is aware of this agent representing her wonderful apartment to innocent travelers.

Be careful. Travel safely.
Last edited by Victor Hong on September 1st, 2010, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
WineHunter.

Victor Hong

Re: RentParisNow.com: bad experience via VRBO.com

#24 Post by Victor Hong » September 18th, 2011, 8:00 am

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1 ... rance.html

Please note that at least another renter also had a difficult experience with Jose Arturo Ibarra,
regarding unexplained credit-card charges. Independent, unsolicited corroboration is helpful
to show a pattern of business practice. Be safe and well. Thank you.

6. Re: rent paris now apartment agency
SSY1854
San Francisco
Sep 14, 2011, 7:36 PM
I used "Rent Paris Now" about an year ago in 2010, and I strongly advise everyone not to use this agency: I knew that something was wrong with this agency, because they would, for example, ask you to e-mail them your VISA information when you make a reservation, which you understand is not very professional. Then after about an year, yesterday, I was shocked to find an unauthorized charge of $678.92 by "Rent Paris Now," even though I have not done any business with them since last year. When I contacted Jose Ibarra at "Rent Paris Now" by e-mail, he quickly wrote me back and assured me that he did not make such a charge; however, he also flatly refused to cancel the charge, saying (all in broken English) that he was not responsible, even though I sent him the screen shot of my bank account that shows the $678.92-charge by his agency. So now I have to reverse this unauthorized charge by calling the security of the credit card company, even though I'm now in Paris right now. In any event, I honestly believe that an agency like this should not be operating, especially since there are many honest agencies in Paris that can offer you better apartments at lower costs.
Last edited by Victor Hong on September 19th, 2011, 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WineHunter.

JKim
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Paris apartment rental: bad experience at RentParisNow.com...

#25 Post by JKim » September 18th, 2011, 5:10 pm

Wow, just found this thread. I've rented through VRBO lots of time (domestically only) and had good experiences. Now, I wonder if I was just lucky. The fact that they can censor reviews is very disturbing. Thanks for posting your experience, Victor, and I'm glad it worked out in the end. Oh well, I guess only hotels for my family from now on.
Joe

Jeremy Holmes

#26 Post by Jeremy Holmes » September 25th, 2011, 11:29 pm

We've used VRBO twice now in Paris and had a good experience both times.
ITB

Jose A Ibarra

#27 Post by Jose A Ibarra » October 16th, 2011, 2:21 pm

Victor Hong, NYBondGeek, WineHunter and pseudonyms continues to falsely claim on a number of different websites that we overcharged his credit card. We did not. In fact, over a year ago Victor Hong, NYBondGeek, WineHunter and pseudonyms’s claims were investigated, resolved and rejected by his credit card company.

Since 2005 Rent Paris Now has rented boutique-style classic and luxury apartments throughout the most desirable areas of Paris.

As noted through many independent testimonials on TrpAdvisor/FlipKey, VRBO and HomeAway our customers – many of them repeat customers – continue to praise Rent Paris Now for our selection of apartments, as well as for our customer service. In fact, this year we (Rent Paris Now Team) received an excellent rating by TripAdvisor/Flipkey, and we were also awarded Winner 2011 for customer satisfaction by TripAdvisor/Flipkey.

Rent Paris Now continues to prosper and expand, and we have proudly added more than 23 properties to our collection.

With any business, there will always be some disappointed customers; however, in our six years of renting short-term vacation rentals, Rent Paris Now has had only five disputes with our guests. In those few cases, we have always acted in a timely manner – forwarding all necessary documents immediately when called upon to do so – and have worked quickly to resolve any disagreements with the best conclusion for all parties possible.

Regarding SSY1854 post that Victor Hong, NYBondGeek, WineHunter and pseudonyms refers to, again SSY1854’s claims were investigated and have been found without justification. In fact, the error was a mistake made by his bank. SSY1854 is aware of these FACTS and as such we have requested that he remove his unjustified and inaccurate post.

Victor Hong

#28 Post by Victor Hong » October 17th, 2011, 4:03 am

Citi Cards, Box 6013, Sioux Falls, SD 57117-6013
August 27, 2010

CITICARD CLIENT, ACCOUNT NUMBER ************2**3
*22 **ST **TH STREET
NEW YORK, NY 10*1*

Dear *********:

Thank you for contacting Citi(R) Cards. This letter is in response to your inquiry about the transaction described below made with account number ************2**3:
Date Amount Description
02/22/2010 $370.35 RUE VIEILLE DU TEMPLE 04158240925 CA
We are issuing a permanent credit for this charge. Thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,
S. Larson
Customer Service
/FRFRM02/L1/SD/ER/2625/pcn0131/D-51767*****10//
WineHunter.

Mel Hill

#29 Post by Mel Hill » October 17th, 2011, 7:17 am

Welcome to the board Jose! newhere

Jose A Ibarra

#30 Post by Jose A Ibarra » October 17th, 2011, 8:28 am

Thank you Mel Hill a pleasure to become a member of such a nice site.

Jose A Ibarra

#31 Post by Jose A Ibarra » October 17th, 2011, 8:39 am

We at Rent Paris Now want to thank Mr. Victor Hong for submitting his false allegations a year ago. It taught us that we needed to take social media seriously and we are amazingly proud of what we have accomplished during that year. We are also very proud of our growth despite people that make it their life to make false claims and allegations without merit. Again thank you for welcoming us and we hope we can positively contribute to these forum.

Mel Hill

#32 Post by Mel Hill » October 17th, 2011, 9:43 am

Many of us have known Victor for years and years so for you to come here and try and salvage your website /business is going to be an uphill climb for you. So far, your not doing a very good job...

Guillaume Deschamps
Contributor
Contributor

#33 Post by Guillaume Deschamps » October 17th, 2011, 10:06 am

[popcorn.gif]
ITB @roumegaire roumegaire.com

Jose A Ibarra

#34 Post by Jose A Ibarra » October 17th, 2011, 10:29 am

Thank you Mel Hill, I can only provide you with the FACTS that took place a year ago and the supporting documents of a satisfactory solution on our behalf. Hope you will take the time to read them and they can also be viewed by anyone that links to this link - http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/3203197 ... 0-meg?da=y - There are always two sides to every story and as you can see here, we have never posted anything until our last couple of posts because we wanted to take the high road. You might want to check what others are saying in the many sites where Mr. Victor Hong has gone public with his false claims. Since you have known him for years and you have a great deal of trust in him ask him to reply to you - please not us - there is no need to - about what took place - ask him if any of our FACTS on our document can be stated as false.

zachary l a n g
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by zachary l a n g » October 17th, 2011, 6:58 pm

Jose, all I ask is that you please be careful in your defense (which I do not deny you) - we have a "no personal attacks" policy here. please keep the comments to facts and out of deference to Mr. Hong and other members here, please keep private things private (just a warning, not saying it's happened)

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#36 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » October 17th, 2011, 9:32 pm

I will make sure to never do business with VRBO, and will pass the word on to others as well. Additionally, I will warn others of this Jose Ibarra guy, and the potential attendant dangers of doing business with him.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

jordan whitehead

#37 Post by jordan whitehead » October 18th, 2011, 11:37 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:I will make sure to never do business with VRBO, and will pass the word on to others as well. Additionally, I will warn others of this Jose Ibarra guy, and the potential attendant dangers of doing business with him.
VRBO is not this issue. I have booked rentals through vrbo and had mostly good results. Only 1 problem. resolved by my CC company. None of these sites are perfect
www.annaswish.org

Jose A Ibarra

#38 Post by Jose A Ibarra » October 18th, 2011, 2:03 pm

Thank you zachary lang for the advise.

M. Smith

#39 Post by M. Smith » October 18th, 2011, 2:21 pm

I've used VRBO once 2 yrs ago and it was a dream house on the Russian River. We enjoyed it so much that I left a $100 gift certificate to the CIA resto for the home's owners.

Yiamos !
Mitch

To blend Nebbiolo is like putting Pavarotti in the chorus. Matt Kramer

Naïvely, one might suppose that demand for a particular wine was determined by its quality. In fact it's a wine's desirability and not its quality per se that is important. Jancis Robinson

Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Eric LeVine » October 18th, 2011, 2:36 pm

P. Robert wrote:Looks like there are two sides to every story....
From reading the response to the chargeback, it looked like a very confusing set of ever-changing transactions. I have a hard time saying that either party was fully right or wrong.
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

M. Smith

#41 Post by M. Smith » October 18th, 2011, 4:18 pm

Tortured logic. Neither party was fully right or wrong. Yet who's court is the ball in ?

Yiamos !
Mitch

To blend Nebbiolo is like putting Pavarotti in the chorus. Matt Kramer

Naïvely, one might suppose that demand for a particular wine was determined by its quality. In fact it's a wine's desirability and not its quality per se that is important. Jancis Robinson

Mike Cohen

#42 Post by Mike Cohen » October 20th, 2011, 6:25 pm

FWIW, VRBO isn't the problem. I had a great experience with them renting a beach house in NJ.

dbailey

#43 Post by dbailey » October 26th, 2011, 3:39 am

We've used VRBO every year for over 15 years to rent houses in Florida and never had any problems. The website is irritatingly poorly designed but other than that we've been very happy.
Dan

Walter Nissen

#44 Post by Walter Nissen » December 8th, 2011, 3:03 pm

VRBO is high-priced web hosting. Nothing more. They don't offer service to renters or owners. You are completely on your own when renting "from VRBO," and you should not give any more credence to a VRBO listing than a Craigslist ad. Obviously the price tends to be right, and I have had many successful VRBO experiences, but at least I know it is always at my own risk.

Victor Hong

#45 Post by Victor Hong » December 15th, 2011, 4:05 am

Walter Nissen wrote:VRBO is high-priced web hosting. Nothing more. They don't offer service to renters or owners. You are completely on your own when renting "from VRBO," and you should not give any more credence to a VRBO listing than a Craigslist ad. Obviously the price tends to be right, and I have had many successful VRBO experiences, but at least I know it is always at my own risk.
http://www.smartmoney.com/spend/travel/ ... 712196480/
WineHunter.

Victor Hong

#46 Post by Victor Hong » October 5th, 2016, 12:07 pm

Jose Arturo Ibarra is still in operation, and warrants a thread bump.
WineHunter.

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by David K o l i n » October 5th, 2016, 12:55 pm

Missed this the first time around. We've generally had great experiences with VRBO properties, but did have some issues Rent Paris Now property a number of years ago (not the charges, but the property). It took a couple of days for them to come around, but they eventually fixed the problem

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Michel Abood » October 6th, 2016, 11:22 am

I have a place in Paris that I rent every year directly from the owner, but when going to other cities I use AirBnB. I haven't even looked at VRBO in several years now.

So far, nothing but good experiences with AirBnB I might add, but then again the true test is when/if there's a dispute.
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

Scott G r u n e r

#49 Post by Scott G r u n e r » October 6th, 2016, 2:14 pm

We used this. Was solid for us. One data point.

http://www.parisautrement.com/en
//Cynic

Diana E.

#50 Post by Diana E. » October 9th, 2016, 12:54 pm

HomeAway does seem to be affiliated with VRBO now, but HomeAway has a Payment guarantee if you pay through them. Not all of their listings have this option. And as stated above, reviews are very hit and miss on the site and sometimes questionable. It used to be that people that hadn't stayed there could leave reviews, and I think owners can still delete reviews they don't like.

Airbnb has a good system, they even have phone help if you show up to your rental and there are problems. Their feedback system is above reproach, so you can learn a lot by reading the reviews if you have lots of time.

However, if you need to cancel it can be a problem. On Airbnb, even if the renter is willing to refund and cancel, the company keeps the "service fee". HomeAway has a much better cancellation policy, depending on the owner. But again, you have to look for the HomeAway guarantee, and read between the lines if there are reviews.

Choosing an apartment, especially overseas, is a major undertaking. Took me a month to settle on one in Paris, still working on London. Hoping I made the right choice, went through Airbnb. Not cheaper than a hotel by any means, but adult daughter will be with us and possibly a friend. A second bedroom, water closet, kitchen, and balcony table will be nice.
d i a n a e d d y

Return to “Travel and Restaurants Forum”