First Time In Walla Walla

If you only had two nights in Walla Walla, where would you eat? Where would you sleep? What one thing beside eating and drinking would you make sure you did?

My $0.02

For dinner:

1. Saffron
  2. T Maccarone’s
  3. Whitehouse Crawford

For lodging (no particular order):
Marcus Whitman (ask for room in old wing)
Fat Duck Inn
One of the many houses available on VRBO

Activities?
I assume you are going to do some tasting? Many great options, clustered into 4 general locations: downtown, airport, south of town, mill creek area.
Enjoy the Palouse and the Blue Mountains (hiking, photography, picnic).
I’d go for a bike ride out Mill Creek or towards Waitsburg.
If you are looking for a good cocktail, a little off the beaten path, hit the jimgermanbar

Have a great time! Where are you planning to taste at?

Mike, thanks so much. That feels like really solid stuff. I don’t have a tasting agenda yet. I was going to call a couple of winemakers I am connected to and a washington state wino resident or two. As an old time Washington State fan that has no real feel for the massive explosion in producers over the last 10 years, I think Leonetti, woodward canyon, Buty, Cayuse, L’ecole, and that sort of thing. I am outside of the inside here. What do you think?

Agree that you stay at the Marcus Whitman and eat at Saffron if I only get one choice. Check out Rotie Cellars. Contact Sean, the owner/ winemaker and tell him I referred you. He is also assistant winemaker for Waters which I strongly recommend along with Buty and Beresan.

Jim German bar is a good suggestion, if you do head to Waitsburg, save some room in your belly for the Whoopemup Cafe.

Have a great trip.

I’m originally from Boston and I love your avatar. I’m listening to the 2010 Valentines Day Furthur show right now.