Peru doesn't suck

One day of sightseeing and jet lag recovery before a week of work. We were fortunate to have some colleagues from Lima show us around and take us to an amazing seafood restaurant called Cebicheria La Mar, with outlets in Lima, Santiago, and San Francisco (http://www.lamarcebicheria.com/web/intro.php).

Starters included 5 kinds of ceviche:
We all tried different main dishes. I had grilled octopus on mashed potato quenelles, served with chimichurri:
We liked our food:
At this rate, I may need to reserve two seats for the flight home.

Very nice!

Did you take any pictures of Incan ruins?

Peru is probably the country in South America where I had the best food last year.

I did, but they weren’t nearly as picturesque as the food.

Guillaume, I’d heard the food was good here, and so far I’m not disappointed at all. Looking forward to several more interesting meals here. I think the Peruvian wine situation might be a little bit sketchy, but I’ll have to try some - for research purposes, of course.

I agree the food in Peru is awesome. I can’t remember what it’s called but the dish of sauteed meat and veggies with french fries and rice is pretty tasty.

I am also partial to Rocotos Rellenos, the spicier the better, and to ensalada de palta… the kind with potatoes, peas, carrots, etc in a mayo based sauce inside of a 1/2 avocado. sounds odd, tastes great.

Skip the Inca Cola and go for the Pisco Sours :slight_smile:

Lomo saltado? I had that at a local Peruvian place. Dee-lish.

Josh, is that dish called tacu-tacu? I’ve seen that combination, often topped with a couple of fried eggs - kind of a mishmash of ingredients, but it looks good. I had to try an Inca Kola (despite its urine-like appearance), but one was definitely enough.

I don’t remember what it was called but it was always veggies in gravy w/ your choice of meat over rice, with french fries mixed in, which made it like this odd chinese stirfry chicken ala king poutain kind of gravy fries and rice with spicy stirfry odd conglomeration. Tasty though…

To me Inca Cola tasted like the nastiest cheapest bubble gum imagineable, only sweeter.

Steve - where are the pics of the Peruvian, um, ‘street professionals’?

I don’t think he is down there with Roberto.

Way to have my back there, Sunshine. You couldn’t send him out to take pictures of native art?

I think you’re safe. Last time I went to Peru I told one of my friends that this country won’t have to worry about sex tourism for quite some time.

I wasn’t sending him out, I was just asking for him to post the pics.

Is sex tourism an actual thing?

And Bill, Roberto’s the… what? Tour guide? [1974_eating_popcorn.gif]

??? … definitely one of the main lines of business in some countries.

Clearly not a focus of your Antarctica pictures, though. :wink:

Tour guide, pimp, whatever.

We’ve seen a few suspiciously friendly women, but none of them were as blatant as you find in other parts of the world.

I don’t want to sound culturally insensitive here, but in my experience, young latin women tend as a group to dress a bit more provocatively than their european and north american counterparts. Walking down any street, I see far more plunging necklines and tight jeans than in other places. It’s great. [wow.gif] But it’s just the way latin people dress, and they can get away with it - look at Jorge and his pocket squares!

Anyway, there’s not an obvious hooker population that I’ve seen - of course, it’s pretty unlikely that I’m hanging out in the right places, and going to bed by 11 means I’m probably missing a lot of the action even around here.

Is that 11AM or 11PM?

Definitely not :wink:

But I have to say it’s very low on my list of potential interests - I have actually never even set foot in a basic strip club. No attraction whatsoever to that kind of stuff.