What to do/where to walk in New Orleans?

So I’m off to New Orleans in about a week, and would like advice on what to do while I’m there. Obviously, restaurant reservations have been made, but I would like to know what suggestions folks have for “must see/must do” things in New Orleans. If you have a favorite walk for exploration & photos, that would be esp. helpful.

Thanks,
Bruce

We were there last month and thoroughly enjoyed doing a self paced walking tour of historic homes in the Garden District. My wife grabbed a map from the concierge at our hotel that pointed out the highlights of the area. We also enjoyed strolling the campuses of Tulane and Loyola. We didn’t make it this trip but I’ve heard that the National World War II museum is well worth the visit.

We also really enjoyed walking around the French Quarter during the day and listening to the street musicians that seem to be on almost every corner. New Orleans is such a fun city…enjoy!

The WW II museum is great. We were there last month. Plan on spending at least 3-4 hours there. It’s engrossing and extensive.

Also recommend going on a swamp tour, outside the city obviously. Have done that on previous trips and it’s something unique to that area.

There’s also a nice place to see music called the Rock n’ Bowl well outside the Quarter.

And, just taking the St. Charles streetcar to its end and back gives a beautiful tour of the city and its different zones.

Highly recommend going to Dooky Chase in the Treme for lunch/lunch buffet. Great setting and great food.

Good advice so far. My son waits at Emeril’s Delmonico’so let me know if you are eating there.

People tell me that the Faubourg Marigny is really the happening place for music these days. It’s across Esplanade from the Quarter and used to be quite dangerous – I got a car stolen there. Still a bit skethcy but that’s NO! Have fun!

Thanks for all the responses so far. The walking tour of the Garden District homes sounds great–good exercise, and possibly some good photos. I’ve heard good things about the WWII Museum, so that’s a possibility as well.

Chris–No plans to go to Delmonico’s, but we have NOLA on the rezzie list.

Bruce

Get drunk on Cherry Bombs and Hurricaines and puke in the street or you could go to August and have a really good meal.

For music Tipitina’s depending on who is playing and preservation hall is pretty good although crowded. I like to walk around Bourbon at night it is fun to people watch and last year we found a really good, huge street band that was playing on one of the side streets. I also like to get up really early and walk to Cafe du Monde on the river to get beignets and coffee. I believe it is open 24 hrs so if you get there real early you it is quiet and it’s an interesting walk through the quarter also.

George

Walking the FQ at night is a must. There is the seedy element but that’s only a part of the picture.

If you are an art fan there is a wonderful series of shows of the art of Joan Mitchell at the NO Museum of Art, Newcomb Art Gallery and the Contemporary Arts Center. She was a top Abstract Impressionist in a class right below the giants (Pollock, Motherwell, Rothko). I love her work – bold, energetic and passionate. The shows end June 30th. http://www.joanmitchellinneworleans.org/exhibitions.html

I liked walking the Garden District, particularly St. Charles Avenue because of the quaint, little houses (I’m talking really tiny, but some so attractive to the eye). Didn’t do a walking tour, just parked the car and strolled around with my family.

I also enjoyed walking around the Lafayette Cemetery across the Commander’s Palace (a good enough restaurant, to be sure, but my expectations were a bit too high so I wound up thinking it was just so-so at the time, though, admittedly, service was very good).

Two points I failed to mention earlier. The St. Charles streetcar, as mentioned earlier, is a must and second, be careful when walking around in the Garden District as the sidewalks are in a state of disarray. It pays to look down from time to time to avoid catching your foot on an uneven and buckled section.

Once again, enjoy!

George–Well, I technically could get drunk and barf in the streets here. Perhaps not as colorful, but…

Anyway, we have reservations for August and are looking forward to it.
Unfortunately, they only had a 6pm spot, so I’m hoping that they can find an open spot a little later.

Bruce

As noted the cemeteries can be very interesting especially if you take some acid ala Peter Fonda in Easy Rider! (FYI, that scene was filmed in St. Louis Cemetery #1 on Basin Street by the Quarter.) Greenwood Cemetery on Canal at City Park is pretty cool too.

Magazine St is pretty hip these days too. It runs parallel to St. Charles (well, as parallel as two streets can run that curve with the river) and has come a long way in the last 30 years.

Speaking of movies,when were there last month, at Cochon, Bruce Willis and John Malkovich and their wives were at the next table. They were, and apparently are still, making a film, “Red” with Morgan Freeman and Helen Mirren.

Does acid in cemetaries pair well with George’s hurricaines? The NO cemetaries are something I might want to see, although Pere Lachaise in Paris is still the most amazing one I’ve seen.

Bruce

Bruce; If you decide to do a swamp tour (and you should) look into Pearl River Eco-tours operating out of Slidell. In addition, you must try the barbecued oysters at Drago’s in Metairie. Where do you have your rezzies as of now?

Cheers!
Marshall

Marshall–We probably won’t get out of town on this trip. Since I’ve never been to NO, there will be more than enough for me to do/see in the 3-4 days that I will be there.

Rezzies at:

NOLA
August
Comm. Palace (Sun. brunch)
Cochon
Luke

Bruce

Bruce; You have some nice restaurants picked out. If you can’t get to Metairie there is a Drago’s inside the Hilton. It is not quite as good as the original but you need to try those oysters. Naturally, if you are an oyster lover there is Acme and Felix in the Quarter. In addition, in the Quarter we enjoyed Dickie Brennan’s Bourbon House…very fun happy hour. When you walk through the Garden District head for Casamento’s…a must try for oysters and soft shell crabs. Impeccable seafood! If you have time for another dinner or want to switch one you have then try Brigtsen’s. It is your first time,have a blast!

Cheers!
Marshall

It’s unclear what’s going to be available vis-a-vis oysters because of the spill. My son has heard rumors that places likes Acme (I prefer Acme to Felix but they’re both good) might even close for a while. I hope/think that’s just hyperbole.

Casamento’s (on the aforementioned Magazine St) is one of my top local spots along with Mandina’s on Canal St. But Casamento’s, unless they’ve changed recently, closes during June-August since one never serves oysters in months without an “R”! Cold beer, raw oysters and Casamento’s gumbo is one of the must do dining experiences of my life!

Oh, and add Mother’s for breakfast or lunch!

I don’t want to pick an argument, Chris, but Mother’s which I’ve been to on all 4 trips to NO since 1980 isn’t worth visiting, IMO. I’ve always wondered why I go there and when I was there last month for 4 days, it was by far the worst meal and overpriced meal my family had. They thought it was worse than I did. The oyster po boy paled by comparison to Casamento’s “oyster loaf”; my wife’s red beans at $12 or something like that was tasteless; and the Ferdie’s…was unchewable (beef and ham po boy). Really bad news. And, there was a line of about a half hour to get in, as usual.

Yuck…sorry, but I feel strongly about this one.

Loved Dooky Chase, Casmento, and liked Willie Mae’s Scotch House and Jacques Imo’s and , as always, enjoyed Galatoire’s…and thought Cochon was ok…though expensive for what it is, with limited choice and small portions. But, Mother’s…nevermore , for me.

Bruce -

1 rec for August. Watch the amount of food they give you. When we were there it was a ton and some of the best savory dishes at the end of the meal we just could not fully enjoy because we were so full. I think my wife an I split the last 3 savory dishes. Really good stuff.

George

Stuart, no fight picked! It is one of those “gotta go to just because” places that can often disappoint. I find it fun and charming but the food is secondary. It is a part of NO.

Agreed that Galatories is top notch. They could get away with half ass food on reputation (see Antoines and Arnauds) but they stay consistently good.