Traveling to Hungary and Slovakia - advice needed!

My wife and I will be traveling to Hungary and Slovakia this summer. Naturally we want to visit a few of the wine regions - Tokaj, Eger, and Villany in Hungary as well as Modra in Slovakia. Does anyone have any winery visit experiences that they would like to share? Any favorite restaurants and hotels?

Buy a neck brace and maybe some preemptive apology jewelry now as your wife is GONNA slap you as there is NO way you won’t be gawking at the female talent. Truly breathtaking…

In 2004 I went to Hungary and visited Disznoko: http://www.disznoko.hu/" onclick=“window.open(this.href);return false; and Oremus http://www.tokajoremus.com/” onclick=“window.open(this.href);return false; and had a nice time at both. They were both very welcoming and gave tours and tastings. I think it was at Disznoko where we also had a great meal of foie gras(inexpensive compared to most places) wonderfully paired with Tokaji Aszu. We also went to Grof Degenfeld: Gróf Degenfeld Szőlőbirtok és Kastélyszálló**** - Gróf Degenfeld Kastélyszálló” onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which was also nice. We made appointments at both Disznoko and Oremus. Disznoko was a bit difficult because they only spoke French and Hungarian. I speak a little french so we got by with me translating for my friend. That may have changed by now.

We also stopped in Eger at a large tasting area. I can’t remember the name but people in the area would know. It was a long horseshoe shaped area. You parked your car and walked up and down the horseshoe(there was also a tiny train) tasting at small caves along the way.

regards,
Brian

I’ve been busting to visit Disznoko since Lazlo Meszaros (?) was on Grape Radio. His English was excellent-- I wonder if they can arrange for an English-speaker to be present on your visit with advance notice?

I don’t have any advice, but I’d really love to hear more about your trip when you return.

Thanks to all those that posted. I’ll report back after our trip!

I just ran across this thread. Sorry to resurrect it but if you still need Hungary info, see my travel report:

http://members.rennlist.com/imcarthur/hungary.htm

We went to Eger. Szépasszony Valley (Valley of the Beautiful Women) is a short walk from the town. Most local producers have a ‘bar’ here for sampling local wines.

Ian

We’ve traveled to Hungary 4 times and love it there. For a wine experience beyond Tokaj, I really recommend Villany. They make the best dry wines in Hungary and the village is set up for easy tasting. The tasting rooms - for the most part - are lined up, abutting one and other, along the main street through the village. Most have very good to excellent wines; some have outstanding wines (Attila Gere’s Kopar Cuvee for one). Stay over night and have dinner there as some of the wineries (Bock comes to mind) have pensions and restaurants on site. If you go, take a train from Budapest to Pecs then a smaller train from Pecs to Villany.