Any Chicago area Berserkers and recommendations?

I’m heading to Chicago on Thursday for a 4 day wedding weekend and I thought I’d see if there are any Chicago area Berserkers that might be around and also if any of you have any recommendations for retailers that sell quality wine(Flickinger will be one of my stops) in the area or restaurants that have a great (reasonably priced) wine list or great corkage fees?

Joel,

What days/times do you have free? I could probably do a last minute dinner Thursday, or a boozy lunch Friday.

If Thursday dinner… I’ve had my eye on trying out this place (chefs have great pedigree, restaurant has good reputation, BYO)… ABOUT — Elina's (perhaps an Italian theme).

If lunch could just do the salon at Domaine (and order some food)… but likely also other options.

In terms of stores:
Binnys is the big dog, has great prices and some good finds (also has temp controlled cellars for the collectible stuff). Lincoln Park store the best.

Vin Chicago has great prices and a good selection from geeky to semi mainstream. Not much aged stuff (and not good conditions for storing it).

Perman has a small, well curated selection.

Ditto red and white.

and flickengers as you have mentioned.

Does Flickinger have a “store” they will let you walk around and “shop” in? I’ve picked orders up in person, but always pre-arranged and they just bring them down to the loading dock. I always had the impression that what was upstairs was a warehouse, not a store. Maybe that was mistaken.

No store as I know… order in advance and pick uo

1 Like

Sounds like we should definitely be able to fit something in, Clayton. So I get in Thursday around 3pm. Staying in river north. And I have a wedding meetup to go to at 8pm. So I could probably do an early dinner/tasting on Thursday, but lunch on Friday might be better since I’m not in the wedding, which is Friday at 5pm. Domaine would totally work, I store with DomaineDC actually and may want to drop some bottles off for transit. But open to other options.

I’ll be around on the weekend as well. Just a few loose brunch plans and dinner plans that can be adjusted if that works better.

Thanks for the recommendations. I plan to stop at Flickinger to pickup an online order when I get in. I had my eye on a few wines but could adjust the order by tomorrow depending what you’d like to taste. Perman has a 2014 Agrapart Avizoise that I am tempted by as well.

I’ll PM you my contacts.

Hey Joel,

Friday lunch works best for me too, so why don’t we just. call it at that.

There are many fewer lunch BYO places, and the flexibility of Domaine may work better anyway. Friday afternoon, often has folks just pop in and open bottles (but not always, and much less post pandemic).

It my be you and I, or a few folks more. You don’t get much Chicago atmosphere, as it’s sport off in an industrial island (although there is a “riverside patio” - a stretch, but nice enough if they day isn’t boiling us).

Let’s put a post in the offline forum too, with Domaine we probably have the flexibility of people just dropping by (up to 8 folks or so I think).

Looks like you’re a europhile, so in recognition to the heatwave there, shall we call it for anything France?

Will text you my phone number.

Clayton

You want to give them a few days to get your items – it’s not the kind of place where you can order at noon and pick up that afternoon.

HdH has a small retail selection with some interesting wines, mostly recent vintage. The order/pick-up situation is nearly identical to Flickinger.

Any time to join us for lunch on Friday Corey? Surely lawyering can wait :slight_smile:

Hahahaha. I will try to join, but cannot commit as my schedule has been very much in flux lately (lots of things moving around last minute, much to my chagrin). So long as I’m not stealing anyone else’s spot, I’d say pencil me in.

The more the merrier. This is obviously fairly last minute. Definitely looking forward to meeting some Chicago wine fanatics. I’m from the suburbs but have been in the DC area for most of my adult life and all of my wine life.

All things France sounds good, Clayton. I’ll be raiding local retail. A few reasonable Bouchard reds and a couple Bordeaux caught my eye. Along with the Agrapart I mentioned that is probably too young, but could be a stunner with some air.

Flickingers will deliver your order if that helps - might save you running around time. I’ve found them quite helpful.

1 Like

hah! I’m going to be in Chicago this coming weekend for my nephew’s wedding and can meet up at lunchtime

Here’s the new thread for it the offline tasting on Friday at Domaine Chicago for anyone who’s interested. See you there Mel!

I don’t think there will be a numbers problem… so just pop in if you can!