Quebec City help please

I want to take a trip from my home in Maine to Quebec City, possibly summer, possibly fall. I am looking for suggestions for hotels and restaurants in Old Quebec.

Hotel: I prefer a moderately priced, older hotel of character that has modern comforts. I’ve been to the Chateau Frontenac, am open to staying there again if it’s the best bet, but would like to try a different place.
Restaurants: The best, preferably French with the best possible wine list.

Can anybody advise me as to how crowded it is in the months from July through November? When is the usual first snowfall?

Thanks in advance.

Dan Kravitz

Don’t seem to be getting much uptake Dan, so let me bump this for you.
We will be visiting QC for the 1st time in mid July, so I am also interested in any recent restaurant or tourism advice.
There are a couple of old threads, but may be well out of date.

We are traveling with a dog and staying in an AirBnb, so sorry but i’ve spent no time looking at hotels.
Also, we will be there on off nights for many restaurants (Sun - Tues), so our choices are a little limited.
I thought this site (from one of the older threads) had interesting choices, though probably not traditional French.

So far I have booked, Le Clocher Penche, Chez Muffy, and Restaurant Taniere3, though I may sub that last one which involves a 15 course menu, for their other restaurant L’Orygin.
Best of luck!

1 Like

Dan, in 2010 we stayed in a Luxe Terrasse Room at Auberge St. Antoine, without any complaint whatsoever.

1 Like

It’s probably been too long–but make sure to make time for Montmorency Falls (and the battlefield if you are into history). We enjoyed Cassis Monna & Filles on Île d’Orléans. Chez Muffy was good but not as good as some places in Montreal. We stayed here, which was a perfect location: Home - Royal Dalhousie

Be aware of St. Jean Baptiste Day - June 24. Choose it or avoid it depending on how much huge crowds parting in the streets until dawn is your kind of thing.

There is another thread I participated in from a few years ago. QC isn’t the type of place that changes too much, too quickly, so I would look at it as being useful and not in need of an entire rejig. Even in the busy summer season, it isn’t overrun.

This is the good 2018 thread Chris mentioned (restaurants only)

I think most of these except IX Pour Bistro are still open.

And here is a thread from last June with a couple hotels mentioned:
https://wineimport.discoursehosting.net/t/quebec-city-summer-2021/170560/10

Muffy is our Monday night rez when most places are closed, but upon further examination L’Échaudé is open as well, so will think about it.
Or sub for Taniere3, not sure we really need 15 courses with wine pairings on our first night in town.

ARVI, Battuto, and Restaurant Tanière³ just made the 100 best list:
https://wineimport.discoursehosting.net/t/2022-100-best-restaurants-in-canada/283429/1

It’s been several years but Le Renard et La Chouette was a highlight of my visit. Real hearty, nose-to-tail, French food and an excellent and eclectic wine list. Ultra-kitsch “decor”.

I enjoyed Chez Boulay very much. Quite refined, northern Territories cuisine. I have a vague memory of an impressive wine list.

Thanks to all, especially Jim Diven for getting the ball rolling.

Dan Kravitz

Really looking forward to our third visit to Restaurant Taniere3 tomorrow night. I will try to post the wines they pair with the meal.