Decline Of Eleven Madison Park- NY Post

Today’s N.Y. Post

Typical NY Post article. I think it is ballsy move for him to go all veg. As long as his investor(s) is behind him.

I do think it is funny watching him try to dress fashionable…he needs a stylist!

What was he thinking with the outfit he wore at Paris fashion week!

Glad i got to experience EMP before all this nonsense happened.

It used to be one of my favorite restaurants, but I have no interest in an all vegan menu at that price

He needs to stop dating vegetarians.

1 Like

As the soup Nazi would say, “Next!!!”

Didn’t this news come out a long time ago?

Hence the reason it is a ballsy move. You have to be really great to convince people to eat an all vegetable meal.

Personally I loved what I tried in the bar menu and am very interested to go back.

It is much harder to cook 3 star level food without meat than with.

I remember Dan Barber saying he would lose money on every vegetarian diner because it is hard to impress without meat.

1 Like

My most memorable meal ever was at l’Arpège *** and was completely plant based as well, so I guess it is actually possible to go full vegetarian/vegan. Of course, Alain Passard has 3 farms on different soils across France so the veggies were nice and fresh :slight_smile:

1 Like

obviously, the post is garbage but in this case they just printed an outright lie AND linked to the proof. the don’t just believe their readers are morons, it’s the foundation of their business model.

“Last October, EMP’s vegan menu received a scathing 0-star review in the New York Times.”

No it didn’t - it gave a scathing review and was not giving any stars to anyone, perhaps ever again.

From the bottom of the review the post linked to: “What the Stars Mean Because of the pandemic, restaurants are not being given star ratings.”

passard is one of my favorite chefs and arpege is maybe my favorite restaurant… but the man is not shy with butter. so apples to apples and all.

In hindsight it was indeed vegetarian rather than vegan. Still, tasty veggies!

Arpege was a fantastic experience… it did have 2 meat courses at the end tho… (at least it did when i dined there). but it is preceeded by 10+ courses of pure veggie awesomeness…

A great experience, but I did need the meat at the end. I might go if it were vegetarian, but almost impossible without milk and eggs.
As for EMP, I would go again if they at least incorporated them.

Tried to go there last fall, could not get in.

I am curious on the protein front. Are they incorporating beans, nuts, legumes, etc?

I’ll have to try it at the bar, good to know

It is 6 courses and there were lots of steals on the list so a low risk way to check it out.

Technically they are correct. [snort.gif] neener

George

I went expecting to hate it but tried to keep an open mind. I thought it was fabulous and that the food was inventive, delicious and very much worth experiencing. It is hard to create a dinner that people traditionally think of as luxury without any animal products, but they do so with the luxury of the time it takes to create each dish. And when you are willing to dedicate an unlimited amount of time to a single dish you can create something pretty spectacular, even if it doesn’t contain animal product. And of course the wine list is incredible and priced fairly. My only quibble is that there is quite a bit of salt and that sticks with you for a day.

2 Likes

A completely damning article came out today about Humm and EMP:

It basically says Humm is more concerned with cultivating his own image while the restaurant actually wastes food (calling it “farm to trash” due to all the waste) and pays workers substantially less than other similar restaurants.