Most convenient (easy in and out) TGV destination in the south of France for car rental

I’m now considering breaking up our Paris trip this Spring by taking a four day trip to the south. I’ve been to Avignon a few times, but always driving so did not use the TGV. I guess the other major TGV destinations are Aix and Marseille. Are one of those three easier to get in and out renting a car at the train station? (Marseille looks like a nightmare but I’ve never been there.)

Thanks in advance for any insight.

The TGV station in Aix is actually NOT in Aix, but about 15 kilometers outside the city. There are car-rental outlets and being that it’s not in the city, would relatively be an easy get-into or out-of situation.
2 years ago, I rented from a car rental IN the Aix non-TGV train station located just at cusp of the main/pretty old town. Easily accessible to our Aix hotel (5-minutes walk) and driving out for, and back from, day trips is a breeze.

After having taken trains into/out of Marseille and seeing its very congested location, and even having driven within the city before, I could see how it could present a challenge to navigate for someone who’s not used to driving in major European cities.

1 Like

Can’t answer which is best, but it’s a great plan.

We left from Avignon with 4 suitcases and 2 cases of wine. Used a porter service. They can arrange for porter service at the other end, and when we realized it allowed us to cut the 100 person long cab line, we were doubly thrilled.

Can’t answer specific question but you are on the right track (if you think there’s a pun lurking there you need help! ). . About fifteen years ago we had ten days in Paris, then took TGV to Aix for three days, then rented car and drove to Nice for four days Flew back from Nice, via Paris. It all worked very well. (The changeover in Paris was very tight due to security checks but it all worked in the end).
Tip: The Porter at the station in Paris arranged for a Porter at Aix for us, who was ready at the door of our carriage when train pulled in, and had cab waiting for us to get to hotel. (We had a lot of luggage as Gail was working in Paris for a week, hence the Porter). We picked up car next day in Aix, downtown.

Just curious how car rental prices are there? Here in the states they’re $$$$.

We did the TGV from Paris to Avignon and back and the rental cars are literally across the tracks. You can quickly and easily roll your rollerboard over there in a couple of minutes. Rental was quick and easy. Leaving and returning was a piece of cake. We were in CdP at our B&B in something like 35-45 minutes after arrival.

we did avignon (long time ago) and recall it being fairly easy. Drove through Aix and base camped in St Remy from where we day tripped to bandol, cassis, chateauneuf, les baux, etc.

Avignon TGV station is a bit outside the city, or at least on the outskirts but it’s still pretty close to the center (like 10-15min depending on traffic).
I would advise renting a car there rather than Aix or Marseille which are always busier.

Alain

yup, the Avignon TGV is not in Avignon, so if this isn’t your destination it is a great place to rent a car and get on the autoroute. Just about every rental agency is there.

Avignon is very easy if the direct TGV from CDG is a convenient connection time wise. The car rental are an easy walk and it is outside the city so if you are driving somewhere it’s relatively simple together going in the right direction.