Great wine/liquor stores in Olympia/Seattle?

Planning a spring trip with an Olympic Peninsula loop and Alaska Air will fly a case of wine home for free. Are there any stellar stores, ala K&L in CA, that are must stop? Grand Vin in Olympia looks nice, but mostly higher end.
I have no need for more wine and have good stores and the internet in Virginia, but am always up for poking around somewhere new. Thanks!

Grand vin is all on line now, no brick and mortar locale to peruse.

Not great, but there’s a small but very interesting shop in the center of Port Townsend, Wine Seller, that I’ve found some unusual bottles. Maybe not worth going out of your way but if you are going into PT, which I hope you do, is well worth a stop.

I’ll let the Seattle homeboys on this board comment on Seattle wine shops. I think there are some good ones but not necessarily great ones.

You didn’t ask about tasting rooms but do you know about Woodinville? Also, really good tasting rooms in Seattle’s SODO and K Vintners not far from the airport.

Thanks for the intel. I have been to Woodinville, but this trip is family centric, so Seattle time is probably spent at the science museum and whatnot.
I’ll check out that soho area, which I don’t know. Not sure about Port Townsend—definitely Port Angeles, which is obviously different!

The SODO tasting rooms located in a little cluster that are really good are Sleight of Hand, Rotie, and Latta and there are a few others. K Vintners is not far from there. I always pick up bottles at those for my family excursions. Esquin Wines, a shop, is not far from there which has a good range but not necessarily the best prices.

Rialto beach in La Push is one of the most beautiful places in the USA. But there are plenty of others nearly as stunning along that coast.

Cool–thanks. I have two nights just outside the Hoh Rain Forest so Rialto and/or Ruby Beach are definitely on the itinerary!

In Seattle McCarthey & Shiering are excellent; wide selection, very helpful. 2 locations. The Metropolitan Market (grocer, several locations) is also good–a wide selection & good price. I guess I buy from wineries too much to know of more.

1 Like

Esquin has a good NW selection and also sells wines from private sellers. So you can sometimes find some wines with good age there.

Friends here speak highly of Pike & Western down at Pike Place Market. I have not been in ages, but people I trust really like it.

McCarthy & Schiering have been great. I say have been as they recently went under new ownership. I have no reason to think they are not still quite good. My take pre-ownership shift is that their prices are a bit high, but the quality of recommendations makes up for it.

Metropolitan Market has a pretty good selection.

There is also a small hole in the wall type market called Leschi Market in the Leschi neighborhood, down by Lake Washington. I have not been there in over a decade, and the owner who was really into wine died a few years ago. But they had by far the best prices in the area and you could find hard to find bottles there. Out of maybe 6 aisles in the shop, over one and a half were devoted to wine.

I will say that I buy more from wineries now also. And the SODO tasting area is worth a visit if you want to taste. Rata, Sleight of Hand, and Rotie are there and are all worth visiting. Full Pull is also there. Pre-covid they had tastings. Last I knew they had not started up again. On the Sodo wineries, you should check days and hours as they may be only on the weekends or Th-Su type thing.

Enjoy the trip!

2 Likes

Thanks so much guys! Very helpful. And the Full Pull mention made me realize that garagiste has a brick and mortar presence, right? Might need to make a pilgrimage there.

Yes, Garagiste does have a store type space. They are a bit south of Seattle though. Not too far, but depending on traffic could be a bit of a detour from a Seattle-focused trip.

another (strong) recommendation for Pike & Western -especially if you are visiting the Market anyway. The street front is under construction, though, so if only going for the wine shop, parking will be a bit more challenging than normal. Michael Teer (owner) and his small crew are wonderful. If spending some time in the area, the Seattle Art Museum (SAM) is only a few blocks away and Seattle Center (Pacific Science Center and MoPop) a quick drive away

10-4 on all this. Thanks so much.

Bumping this thread to see if anyone can recommend a shop in Seattle for very good Champagne. Not just the daily drinkers but a range of the stuff running $100+. Thanks in advance!

Take a look at University Wines in Laurelhurst.

2 Likes

Don’t think I’d drive to the eastside just for this place, by any means, but if you’re bumbling around the Bellevue area, it’s worth a stop.

https://www.seattlewineco.com/contact/

Focus is less on WA/OR wine and more on French, although it’s not always bargain central. Would also second the McCarthy & Schiering recommendation if you’re in Seattle proper.

1 Like

We shop at McCarthy and Schiering and Pike and Western. Both excellent shops.

1 Like

FAT CORK!!! They’re fantastic and are basically everything you are asking for here [cheers.gif]

1 Like