NYC: Airport to Manhattan Transfer

Best option for transfer from EWR to Manhattan (Central Park South)? Cab, Uber, or best to pre-book something?

I guess there’s a lot of options; airtrain to NJ transit will take you to Penn Station. Cab or uber are both options as well.

To me it depends on how many bags you have. I’d take the airtrain to NJ transit which as Michael said will take you into Penn Station. From there you can cab/uber/subway to CPS. If you have a bunch of bags, I’d just Uber from EWR. But it could be costly and it could take longer than you think. There’s construction at both tunnels right now.

1 Like

Arrange for a private car if it fits your budget.

Nothing better than someone waiting for you to take your bags and go.

2 Likes

I took an Uber from jfk last month and they picked us up in a Tesla model s. I guess some people are buying them and having shifts of people driving them.

1 Like

Just remember EWR involves a bridge or tunnel crossing, and the traffic at time of pickup. There is also a bus service that would at least get you to Port Authority (42-44th & 8th). Really depends on your individual situation and what you are willing to pay vs spending time in transit.

central park south hotel, definitely air train to NJ Tranist to NY Penn $31.50 for 2. Careful as there is Newark Penn and NY Penn.

Would do pre-arranged over Uber or Taxi

Agreed.
Construction and traffic delays can extend and ruin a cab or Uber ride.

My travel tip is to pretend to be a modestly paid airport worker.

With bags, even with traffic delays in the tunnel, nothing beats Uber/Cab to drop you off in front of your hotel.

Newark airport NJ trains has close to impeccable schedule reliability, but can also get very crowded with travelers and bags. Also note that the Air Train transfer and the NY Penn Station part of it involve stairways.

What Ramon and others have said.

Air Train/NJ Transit is easy and traffic free. But a pain if you are juggling a lot of luggage.

Good information. I arrived EWR on a redeye and was headed to Grand Central Terminal on 42nd street. I was detouring to my daughter for breakfast.
Here’s why the bus is best… if you’re arriving during rush hour, the bus takes the bus only lane. We whizzed by all the cars stuck in traffic. From the airport to GCT it took about 25 - 30 minutes. A few minutes shorted to the PA. I was expecting 60 + minutes.

It would be helpful to know the estimated arrival time. Could make a difference in travel recommendations.

Flight scheduled to arrive at 4pm on a Sunday

1 Like

There will be limited traffic UNLESS either the Jets or Giants have a 1pm start time on that Sunday at the Meadowlands (next to Newark). If you leave Newark by Uber and hit the traffic leaving the game, you’re toast…

Jags at Jets (1pt ET) that day

It could get ugly. If you happen to hit the road right after the game lets out, it could be terrible. Only thing you have working your way. That’s Dec 26th, Day after xmas, the Jets are terrible, the Jags are terrible, and it’s doubtful the stadium will be more than 1/2 full if even that…

I’d say play it by ear. If you have bags you have no choice, you’re gonna have to Uber. Those who are telling you that it’s no problem doing the train trip with bags have forgotten the multiple legs and multiple level changes that are required. And at the end of the train trip you have to fight your way through the construction project that is called Penn Station and get in the long cab line.

If no bags, then I’d say Uber is the call unless you’re driving at 4:30pm - 5pm and that’s when the traffic getting out of the game will be at it’s worst…

Can probably get attendance figures for the game on-line and that might help you with the decision…

At that hour, take the bus. NYC bound traffic late on a Sunday = rolleyes

I may be wrong, but bus lanes coming into the tunnel are not for buses only on weekends, when all lanes are free for all.

There isn’t any XBL lane on weekends.

Exclusive Bus Lanes

Operation
The Exclusive Bus Lane (XBL) is a 2.5 mile contra-flow bus lane traveling along New Jersey Route 495, leading from the New Jersey Turnpike to the Lincoln Tunnel. It operates during the weekday morning peak period (from approximately 6:00 a.m. until 10:00 a.m.), and is one of a three-part priority bus system, which includes the Lincoln Tunnel and the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

The Port Authority is responsible for daily operation of the XBL, including its opening and closing, removal of disabled vehicles, and response to emergencies.