Casual/no res needed restaurants for family in Paris? (Staying in the 1st)

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics, including restaurants
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 32812
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Casual/no res needed restaurants for family in Paris? (Staying in the 1st)

#1 Post by c fu »

Hi all

Heading to Paris this week with the family. Staying at the park Hyatt for one period and the 6th (Airbnb) for the second half

Any recs for local spots in those two neighborhoods that don’t need a reservation and family friendly?

Lunch/dinner

Thanks!
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

ybarselah
Posts: 7034
Joined: July 15th, 2009, 2:29 pm
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 281 times

Re: Casual/no res needed restaurants for family in Paris? (Staying in the 1st)

#2 Post by ybarselah »

lunch at Le Comptoir du Relais Saint-Germain is a must. very casual, stand in line for a table. it will also be one of the best meals of your trip.
Yaacov (ITB)

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 32812
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Re: Casual/no res needed restaurants for family in Paris? (Staying in the 1st)

#3 Post by c fu »

ybarselah wrote: November 7th, 2021, 9:12 am lunch at Le Comptoir du Relais Saint-Germain is a must. very casual, stand in line for a table. it will also be one of the best meals of your trip.
def on the list - enjoyed it last time we went and it's close to our airbnb
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

User avatar
Adam Frisch
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 1785
Joined: July 15th, 2019, 5:04 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Has thanked: 433 times
Been thanked: 325 times

Re: Casual/no res needed restaurants for family in Paris? (Staying in the 1st)

#4 Post by Adam Frisch »

After a job in Paris many years ago, the local producer, who was a foodie and knew all the cool hipster spots, took us to Le Relais de l’Entrecôte - kinda a high end chain, touristy spot. He had this mischivious smile on his face as our misgivings and preconceptions melted away - we were actually very impressed with the steak frites (which is all they serve). He said it was a spot he often took customers to to put everything on its head when it comes to expectations. Great steak frites, if you don't mind looking like a tourist.

I think it's in the 1st.
Sabelli-Frisch Wines

Owner, proprietor and winemaker at Sabelli-Frisch Wines. I make wine from low-impact vineyards, focus on rare, forgotten, under-appreciated or historic grape varietals. Mission grape is my main red focus. IG: sabellifrisch

User avatar
Mark Y
Posts: 8303
Joined: May 1st, 2009, 11:19 am
Location: Bellevue, WA
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 70 times

Re: Casual/no res needed restaurants for family in Paris? (Staying in the 1st)

#5 Post by Mark Y »

Tag. Going in a month. ❤️
Y.e.

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 4700
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am
Has thanked: 163 times
Been thanked: 111 times

Re: Casual/no res needed restaurants for family in Paris? (Staying in the 1st)

#6 Post by Ramon C »

Freddy's at rue de Seine (6th).
Walk in encouraged, fun food choices for everyone and + for the good wine list btg.
@brera

ybarselah
Posts: 7034
Joined: July 15th, 2009, 2:29 pm
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 281 times

Re: Casual/no res needed restaurants for family in Paris? (Staying in the 1st)

#7 Post by ybarselah »

clamato another no brainer, but likely on your list already.
Yaacov (ITB)

JordanP
Posts: 5
Joined: January 30th, 2020, 11:52 am

Re: Casual/no res needed restaurants for family in Paris? (Staying in the 1st)

#8 Post by JordanP »

The restaurant at Hotel Costes is always my first stop.

Septime La Cave (the wine shop and charcuterie across from Septime) is always nice for an afternoon snack as well.
P l e m m o n s

jhowe
Posts: 626
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 4:19 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Casual/no res needed restaurants for family in Paris? (Staying in the 1st)

#9 Post by jhowe »

c fu wrote: November 7th, 2021, 9:28 am
ybarselah wrote: November 7th, 2021, 9:12 am lunch at Le Comptoir du Relais Saint-Germain is a must. very casual, stand in line for a table. it will also be one of the best meals of your trip.
def on the list - enjoyed it last time we went and it's close to our airbnb
We were in Paris right before Covid shut everything down and stayed close to Le Comptoir as well. We discovered they are now open all day. I don't recall that from previous visits but I may be mistaken. We were exhausted the first night after our flight so ate there for an early dinner. Maybe around 5:00 or so. Sat outside and pretty much had the place to ourselves. Food was great. It's game season so they probably have livre a la royale which I enjoy but it's not for everyone. Then back to the hotel and to bed fairly early.
Joe

User avatar
George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5502
Joined: April 21st, 2009, 3:36 pm
Location: Batavia, IL
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Casual/no res needed restaurants for family in Paris? (Staying in the 1st)

#10 Post by George Hejna »

Just got back from the Park Hyatt in Paris 2 weeks ago. First time we stayed there and liked it but I think we prefer the 6th. That being said.

Les Bon Georges is awesome. Kids would be just fine. Walkable. Great list. http://www.lebongeorges.paris/en/produi ... roprietes/

Not walkable but also casual with an even better list. https://www.lepetitsommelier-paris.fr/en/
Not walkable but would work. Really cheap Raveneau. https://www.facebook.com/alabicheaubois/

Le Comptoir was mentioned had a good lunch there. It is pretty packed in though and there is usually a line. List is tiny. Not as good as it was precovid.

For a fancier 1* meal where the kids would be OK http://lesclimats.fr Obviously Burgundy focused list. Took my kids there when they were a little older than yours.

FYI - we did make reservations but were there on a weekend. Most everywhere in Paris was pretty crowded except the really large Cafés. Don't know if those will be an option weather wise while you are there and might drive more people inside. I know it is hard with kids but I would try for reservations.

I assume you applied for the French Pass Sanitaire?

George

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 32812
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Re: Casual/no res needed restaurants for family in Paris? (Staying in the 1st)

#11 Post by c fu »

George Hejna wrote: November 9th, 2021, 10:44 am Just got back from the Park Hyatt in Paris 2 weeks ago. First time we stayed there and liked it but I think we prefer the 6th. That being said.

Les Bon Georges is awesome. Kids would be just fine. Walkable. Great list. http://www.lebongeorges.paris/en/produi ... roprietes/

Not walkable but also casual with an even better list. https://www.lepetitsommelier-paris.fr/en/
Not walkable but would work. Really cheap Raveneau. https://www.facebook.com/alabicheaubois/

Le Comptoir was mentioned had a good lunch there. It is pretty packed in though and there is usually a line. List is tiny. Not as good as it was precovid.

For a fancier 1* meal where the kids would be OK http://lesclimats.fr Obviously Burgundy focused list. Took my kids there when they were a little older than yours.

FYI - we did make reservations but were there on a weekend. Most everywhere in Paris was pretty crowded except the really large Cafés. Don't know if those will be an option weather wise while you are there and might drive more people inside. I know it is hard with kids but I would try for reservations.

I assume you applied for the French Pass Sanitaire?

George
can't apply anymore - my application was pending for over 45 days. My wife's was approved immediately.

As of November, you have to go to a designated pharmacy and pay 39e for the pass.

Yeah I know I gotta make a res but I have no clue how my kid is gonna deal with jet lag the first few days. So trying to find places for walk ins. Wine is not a focus this trip so good/bad wine lists don't really matter unfortunately.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

User avatar
George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5502
Joined: April 21st, 2009, 3:36 pm
Location: Batavia, IL
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Casual/no res needed restaurants for family in Paris? (Staying in the 1st)

#12 Post by George Hejna »

c fu wrote: November 9th, 2021, 12:07 pm
George Hejna wrote: November 9th, 2021, 10:44 am Just got back from the Park Hyatt in Paris 2 weeks ago. First time we stayed there and liked it but I think we prefer the 6th. That being said.

Les Bon Georges is awesome. Kids would be just fine. Walkable. Great list. http://www.lebongeorges.paris/en/produi ... roprietes/

Not walkable but also casual with an even better list. https://www.lepetitsommelier-paris.fr/en/
Not walkable but would work. Really cheap Raveneau. https://www.facebook.com/alabicheaubois/

Le Comptoir was mentioned had a good lunch there. It is pretty packed in though and there is usually a line. List is tiny. Not as good as it was precovid.

For a fancier 1* meal where the kids would be OK http://lesclimats.fr Obviously Burgundy focused list. Took my kids there when they were a little older than yours.

FYI - we did make reservations but were there on a weekend. Most everywhere in Paris was pretty crowded except the really large Cafés. Don't know if those will be an option weather wise while you are there and might drive more people inside. I know it is hard with kids but I would try for reservations.

I assume you applied for the French Pass Sanitaire?

George
That sucks. They work quite well. The 4 of us applied a month early and did not arrive until we were France. They did take a paper CDC cards though. It was very easy to get an antigen test in the Pharmacy to come home.

can't apply anymore - my application was pending for over 45 days. My wife's was approved immediately.

As of November, you have to go to a designated pharmacy and pay 39e for the pass.

Yeah I know I gotta make a res but I have no clue how my kid is gonna deal with jet lag the first few days. So trying to find places for walk ins. Wine is not a focus this trip so good/bad wine lists don't really matter unfortunately.

User avatar
Matthew Brown
Posts: 6288
Joined: June 4th, 2009, 10:03 am
Location: Charlottesville Albion/ITB
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Casual/no res needed restaurants for family in Paris? (Staying in the 1st)

#13 Post by Matthew Brown »

Technically in the 5th, but just above the Pantheon so if you're doing a walking tour and hitting there and Luxembourg Gardins: (also from 3 years ago, before Notre Dame burned, etc....)
Nouvelle Mairie- lots of natural wine influence to the list, a fair number of funky hipster names but also good standards. Very casual, almost a residential/neighborhood restaurant vibe, food wasn't pretentious but very enjoyable I thought. Had Cantillon on draft, which sucked me in immediately, and some other small production regional beers.
Also a block from a small but very good wine store, Caves du Pantheon.
Needs a make on a white pimpmobile

User avatar
Matthew Brown
Posts: 6288
Joined: June 4th, 2009, 10:03 am
Location: Charlottesville Albion/ITB
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Casual/no res needed restaurants for family in Paris? (Staying in the 1st)

#14 Post by Matthew Brown »

c fu wrote: November 7th, 2021, 9:28 am
ybarselah wrote: November 7th, 2021, 9:12 am lunch at Le Comptoir du Relais Saint-Germain is a must. very casual, stand in line for a table. it will also be one of the best meals of your trip.
def on the list - enjoyed it last time we went and it's close to our airbnb
Just up from Comptoir is a tiny but excellent beer bar, La Robe & La Mousse, lots of excellent local stuff.
Needs a make on a white pimpmobile

User avatar
Mark Y
Posts: 8303
Joined: May 1st, 2009, 11:19 am
Location: Bellevue, WA
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 70 times

Re: Casual/no res needed restaurants for family in Paris? (Staying in the 1st)

#15 Post by Mark Y »

Matthew Brown wrote: November 9th, 2021, 12:36 pm
c fu wrote: November 7th, 2021, 9:28 am
ybarselah wrote: November 7th, 2021, 9:12 am lunch at Le Comptoir du Relais Saint-Germain is a must. very casual, stand in line for a table. it will also be one of the best meals of your trip.
def on the list - enjoyed it last time we went and it's close to our airbnb
Just up from Comptoir is a tiny but excellent beer bar, La Robe & La Mousse, lots of excellent local stuff.
Woo. 2 mins from our Airbnb. 👍👍
Y.e.

Scott Jameson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 815
Joined: April 1st, 2009, 6:26 am
Location: Houston, TX
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Casual/no res needed restaurants for family in Paris? (Staying in the 1st)

#16 Post by Scott Jameson »

George Hejna wrote: November 9th, 2021, 10:44 am Les Bon Georges is awesome. Kids would be just fine. Walkable. Great list. http://www.lebongeorges.paris/en/produi ... roprietes/
Agree that Les Bon Georges is great, but reservations were definitely needed when we ate there last month, at least for dinner.

patrick c albright
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 803
Joined: July 26th, 2009, 9:53 am
Location: bend/napa
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: Casual/no res needed restaurants for family in Paris? (Staying in the 1st)

#17 Post by patrick c albright »

Scott Jameson wrote: November 10th, 2021, 4:29 am
George Hejna wrote: November 9th, 2021, 10:44 am Les Bon Georges is awesome. Kids would be just fine. Walkable. Great list. http://www.lebongeorges.paris/en/produi ... roprietes/
Agree that Les Bon Georges is great, but reservations were definitely needed when we ate there last month, at least for dinner.
The wine list at Les Bon Georges gets picked apart pretty quickly.
ITB

User avatar
Matthew Brown
Posts: 6288
Joined: June 4th, 2009, 10:03 am
Location: Charlottesville Albion/ITB
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Casual/no res needed restaurants for family in Paris? (Staying in the 1st)

#18 Post by Matthew Brown »

Mark Y wrote: November 9th, 2021, 9:54 pm
Matthew Brown wrote: November 9th, 2021, 12:36 pm
c fu wrote: November 7th, 2021, 9:28 am

def on the list - enjoyed it last time we went and it's close to our airbnb
Just up from Comptoir is a tiny but excellent beer bar, La Robe & La Mousse, lots of excellent local stuff.
Woo. 2 mins from our Airbnb. 👍👍
Galley setup upstairs with a bigger hangout space downstairs, very tidy 16 line draft lineup with a fair number of bottles. Found them because the somm at Nouvelle Mairie was also a brewer and R&M had some of his stuff. No food, just a place to hang with a couple pints, but so many other places for food just steps away you won't miss it.
Needs a make on a white pimpmobile

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 32812
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 252 times

Re: Casual/no res needed restaurants for family in Paris? (Staying in the 1st)

#19 Post by c fu »

Scott Jameson wrote: November 10th, 2021, 4:29 am
George Hejna wrote: November 9th, 2021, 10:44 am Les Bon Georges is awesome. Kids would be just fine. Walkable. Great list. http://www.lebongeorges.paris/en/produi ... roprietes/
Agree that Les Bon Georges is great, but reservations were definitely needed when we ate there last month, at least for dinner.
yah no res available for dinner - also my wife eats her beef well done so I don't want to insult them.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Benjg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 75
Joined: July 7th, 2020, 7:20 am
Location: Edina, MN
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Casual/no res needed restaurants for family in Paris? (Staying in the 1st)

#20 Post by Benjg »

Fun place for kids and about a 2 minute walk from Park Hyatt is Le Soufflé for lunch or a treat during the day
B e n G @ t h

User avatar
Peter Hirsch
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3141
Joined: June 5th, 2009, 7:19 pm
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: Casual/no res needed restaurants for family in Paris? (Staying in the 1st)

#21 Post by Peter Hirsch »

Pinned. Going in fall 2022.

John Telford
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 283
Joined: March 28th, 2017, 3:35 pm
Location: Fairfax, Va
Has thanked: 130 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: Casual/no res needed restaurants for family in Paris? (Staying in the 1st)

#22 Post by John Telford »

Aux Crus De Bourgongne!!! 3 Rue Bachaumont, Paris 2nd.......Classic french bistro food (very well done). Very family friendly. Great!

User avatar
Jonathan Jaggers
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 400
Joined: March 11th, 2021, 6:38 pm
Has thanked: 85 times
Been thanked: 77 times

Re: Casual/no res needed restaurants for family in Paris? (Staying in the 1st)

#23 Post by Jonathan Jaggers »

Some great stuff here, I'm going in December and staying in the 9th. A friend of mine who just moved from Paris to Nice recommended these spots: Jia Yan (Chinese restaurant), Pink Mamma, Hoxton.
If there's a dog in the house, you're never drinking alone

jhowe
Posts: 626
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 4:19 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Casual/no res needed restaurants for family in Paris? (Staying in the 1st)

#24 Post by jhowe »

c fu wrote: November 11th, 2021, 8:19 amyah no res available for dinner - also my wife eats her beef well done so I don't want to insult them.
In this case you may want to rethink Le Relais de l'Entrecote mentioned above which we have enjoyed as well with the kids. They have maybe 3 locations in Paris including one in the 6th. They serve steak either medium rare or medium well. No other choices. If your wife can do medium well it's a fun place. It all comes out on a big platter and gets served from there. The steak and fries are served with this wonderful green sauce made with chicken livers I think. It's actually very good but you will need to have some pink in the steak. This is from before Covid so things may have changed.
Joe

DIANAD
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 50
Joined: January 6th, 2020, 10:23 am
Location: Cleveland Ohio
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Casual/no res needed restaurants for family in Paris? (Staying in the 1st)

#25 Post by DIANAD »

jhowe wrote: November 12th, 2021, 2:54 pm
c fu wrote: November 11th, 2021, 8:19 amyah no res available for dinner - also my wife eats her beef well done so I don't want to insult them.
In this case you may want to rethink Le Relais de l'Entrecote mentioned above which we have enjoyed as well with the kids. They have maybe 3 locations in Paris including one in the 6th. They serve steak either medium rare or medium well. No other choices. If your wife can do medium well it's a fun place. It all comes out on a big platter and gets served from there. The steak and fries are served with this wonderful green sauce made with chicken livers I think. It's actually very good but you will need to have some pink in the steak. This is from before Covid so things may have changed.
We ate at the one on Rue Marbeauf when we were in Paris a few years ago, and I was able to get my steak well done.
D A Y

Post Reply

Return to “Travel and Restaurants Forum”