Nashville - Restaurants/Bars/Breweries/Music

Heading there in a few weeks.

Any and all help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Tootsies & The Stage all night long, Roberts western world for fried bologna sandwich and a PBR

Carter vintage guitar, Gruhn Vintage Guitar
Jake Whites Studio tour??

Pre-covid. Lockeland Table, City House, Etch, Rolf & daughter’s, Adele’s and Husk are our favorites. Second the Roberts Western World rec. Martin’s for BBQ. Skip Catbird too much attitude and mediocre wine service. I am not a huge fan of hot chicken so I cannot speak to that. Andrew Jackaon’s house is worth the drive. The Ryman is cool if you can catch a show.

Broadway (where Tootsie’s and The Stage are) has become a mass of sloppy drunks and bachelorette parties. Personally I would skip that unless you’re absolutely dying to see it once (and I’d definitely stay away on weekend nights).

To add to the restaurant list, I haven’t been yet, but I’ve heard great things about The Optimist from several separate people. We intend to try it soon.

Let me know if have free time and want to meet up (or come over) for a drink or something.

Larry…To echo Sean’s offer, when are you in town? Could probably have a few local WBers meet up.

Are you coming solo? Adults only? With kids?

Also a fan of Lockeland, Rolf and City House. I’ve been to The Optimist…good, but the original in Atlanta is better IMO. Also a fan of Kayne Prime. Is hot chicken on your list?

I found Southern Grist Brewing when I was there fit work a few years back and it was great. Super funky fi and tasty sours and stuff. Brought some can back to Seattle with me.

I will be heading there with my GF for her birthday over the 4th of July. She is not the ‘wine geek’ at all, but I will have some of my wines in tow and would love to possibly get together with some Berserkers. I’m all ears :slight_smile: We have plans on the 6th and 7th but would be available on the 5th or possibly the 8th.

Cheers!

+1 for Adele’s

Bastion, Prix Fixe, pay up front, Chefs personally cook in front of you, ask for a seat at the bar of the restaurant not the bar itself.
https://www.bastionnashville.com/ a less expensive version of The Catbird Seat.
We loved it and the young somm and I hit it off and let me buy a bottle of the list to take with us.
Bastion - Nashville - Restaurant - 50Best Discovery

The Catbird Seat, similar concept as Bastion

Music
http://robertswesternworld.com/
416 Broadway
No cover 4 shows per day 11:00am-2:15pm 2:30pm-6:00pm
6:30pm-10:00pm 10:30pm-2:00am

http://www.bluebirdcafe.com/
4104 Hillsboro Pike, Nashville, TN 37215
Make reservations on line, $10 food and drink minimum
Tough to get an online reservations then you have to wait in line for several hours hoping to get in

Station Inn
402 12th Ave S

The Listening Room Café

All the bars on Broadway are honky tonks so lots of music.

From a friend who is a rep for a wine and spirit distributor in Nashville. His reccs in 2018.
East Nashville: Chic Bohemian with good restaurants. Restaurants: The Tree House, Lockeland Table, Butcher and Bee, Margot, Urban Cowboy,

Germantown: Probably the Nexus for fine dining in town with multiple really good restaurants. Restaurants: City House (my fav), Rolf and Daughters, Geist (brand new but historic building), 5th and Taylor.

12 South: Walkable shopping with multiple restaurants. Restaurants: Josephine (FAB), Taqueria del Sol, Epice (delicious Lebanese). Urban Grub.

Midtown: Restaurants abound. Too many to mention.

1 Like

Some of the same recs as above:
Robert’s Western World - best place we found for old school country.
Station Inn - Really enjoyed an open Mic bluegrass night

Restaurants:

Bastion

Larry, go to Margot Cafe in East Nashville. Great little French/Mediterranean bistro, James Beard-nominated chef and an OG of the Nashville food scene. My son Ian works there, ask for him.

2 Likes

I would skip the whole Broadway strip where Robert’s Western World is. Largely a B&T crowd and it’s pretty much like Bourbon Street. If you do that’s the only place worth visiting. Go to someplace like 3rd and Lindsey. https://www.3rdandlindsley.com/
The Time Jumpers have a standing gig there every Monday. It will be the best thing you hear and see. Vince Gill just exited last year.

1 Like

Here is a map we made for Nashville the last time we were there:

Went to Folk last night - awesome! Then hit Mickeys and then The Fox. Got tix for both Grand Ole Opry and the Ryman. All is good . . .

Bumping this thread as my wife and I will be in town for a few nights next month. Staying downtown. Last time I was there, I very much liked Etch and Husk, but open to hearing about other great dining spots in the area.

A friend mentioned the Twelve Thirty Club as a new spot to try - worth it?

Sean Brock of Husk has two new places, and we have enjoyed both. Audrey is his new flagship, and there’s also The Continental. Reservations are still a bit tight at both, but maybe you can squeeze in.

I have not been to the Twelve Thirty Club.

+1 for Etch

As far as tours, I would suggest
https://studiob.org/

Skulls Rainbow Room then go across the street and watch Stacy Mitchhart the house band at Bourbon Street Blue and Boogie. You will be BLOWN away by his talent. I went to college in Nashville and he sounds the same as he did in 1999. In the morning go to Arnold’s Country Kitchen to cure what ails you.

Continental and Yolan (Dtown) and Jospehine (12 South) are very good.

Newbie here in East Nasvhille. @Marc perfectly nails the neighborhood descriptions.

I’m a huge fan of TREEHOUSE in EN, my experience there Christmas Eve 2019 when I had just won a BerserkerDay-like bidding war for a historic reno project nearby pretty much convinced me this is my hood. One of the best meals of my life.

Luckily I hit Margot’s sister restaurant before it closed during Covid, but their brunch items are incorporated now into lunch at MARGOT. These are great people, but I haven’t actually managed to enjoy a meal at Margot yet; hard to get into with Covid-related staffing shortages this summer/fall.

URBAN COWBOY has a way cool vibe, relaxed beautifully curated outdoor hangout space–vintage tubs overflowing with greenery, fireplaces, overhead lights strung through the trees. Hosts a pop-up wood-fired pizza biz from their sister outfits in upstate New York. If you’re lucky you can get a suite at the attached Inn Boutique Hotels in Nashville, TN | Urban Cowboy Hotels

Actually starting the car and going over the bridge,
BUTCHERTOWN HALL is our go-to for casual wood-fired comfort food, stylish Germantown atmosphere, both indoors and out.

Unique and fun downtown in an 1800’s brick horse stables for the Fire Dept/Army, complete with vintage bowling alley, outdoor pool and movies projected outdoors: PINEWOOD SOCIAL

My SoCal brother designs restaurant kitchens; his co-horts rave about The Optimist. The building alone draws me to CITY HOUSE.

Definitely wander about PRINTER’S ALLEY. Great music history, blues bars, private clubs. Bf treated me to a stay at The Bobby a few nights, the rooftop bar is great with a vintage Airstream up there, warmed igloos in winter and private cabanas in summer. Rooftop bars are big in downtown Nashville–it is a pretty skyline.

I can’t stand Broadway for five minutes, it’s total madness drunken tourists; you probably gotta see it once, very good advice to avoid weekends.

Later this year, I’ll get my lil carriage house Airbnb going in Historic Edgefield. And once I get a TN distributor signed up, I’ll be hitting more of these excellent suggestions with Virage wine in hand. Solid excuse to visit all the great restaurants in this City :slight_smile:

On our trip last year we went to Woodland Wine Merchant to stock up. Small neighborhood shop, but very nice with lots of geeky selections.

1 Like