Dubrovnik Help Please

So wife and I are headed to Dubrovnik in early September. Flight is scheduled to arrive 11:15 AM on a Friday (redeye from NY) and our return flight is Wednesday early afternoon.

Thoughts on type of lodging and location???
Hotel vs House/Apartment?
Old Town vs elsewhere?

We are going to Aruba in mid-October, if that has any influence on your thought process .

Thanks in advance.

PS. I’m half asleep-hope this post makes sense .

We stayed at an AirBnB 6 or 7 years ago in Old Town. Its’ where all the action is. If I recall correctly, there’s a Hilton across the street from Old Town.
FYI, there’s a cheap bus from the airport to Old Town. It’s a very short ride. Try to sit on the left (A seat) on the plane. The look down is spectacular in the last 5 minutes. You see the famous city wall.

Do a day trip (guided) to Montenegro. The town and the lake are beautiful.

Funny - I heard that NPR report two days ago about Dubrovnik being (for now) empty of tourists and it made me want to get on a plane immediately. Sounds like an amazingly beautiful place that should still be slightly more navigable than usual in the fall.

Definitely want to stay in or very close to the old town if you are only going to be there a few days. Getting to the old town from outside is a PITA with traffic and the roads there.

We stayed at a nice hotel that was right outside the city wall entrance. Maybe a 10 minute walk along the coast. Will try and find the name of the place.

I think it was the Hotel Excelsior.

Old town is pretty small, but it’s charming. It has a bit of that same dynamic you see in more compact highly touristed areas–lovely and charming early morning and evenings–a madhouse during the day. But that is definitely where you want to be. If I remember correctly, it’s all pedestrian within the old walls.

Checked my notes. We stayed at the Pucic Palace.I would stay there again.

I enjoyed the Hilton (it helps if you have status).

Whereever you stay, it should be walking distance to Old Town. I’d go during the day for a while, come back to the hotel, then back out for dinner.

Thanks all. Keep the info coming please .

I stayed at an AirBnB in the old town and within the City walls. It was a large apartment for 5 people - near the Jesuit Stairs (Game of Thrones filmed the Walk of Shame there). A bit rustic but reasonably priced. Has a kitchen and small balcony. Not a luxurious apartment but convenient for walking around the old town for the 2 days I was there.
Note that your bus/taxi/uber will leave you by a city gate and you will need to walk to the apartment.
I think that may generally apply for most places within the walls as the City is generally closed to traffic.
The people that rented the apartment were wonderful and quite helpful.

My wife wanted a sea view and a balcony (those were her only requests), and I found what appears to be a nice apartment/complex in the Lapad area , which is not near Old Town. The place got good reviews, the price seems fair , and it has a free cancellation policy up to 2 weeks before.

So since I can cancel I will keep plugging away. Looks like we may want to be closer to Old Town, but once I figure out the basic places we want to see and things we want to do, it will help determine our best location .Thanks all.

And I booked an Airbnb closer to old town where I can cancel up to 3 days prior . All about options .

Everything is in old town. We made the mistake of walking outside the old city. Not much of anything worthwhile exists.

1 Like

Hilton with an upgrade is lovely…just quiet enough outside the city walls🍷

I think old town is the whole point of Dubrovnik. If you stay outside the walls you might as well be anywhere on the Croatian coast (which is great, by the way, just not Dubrovnik.)

2 Likes

Hilton is too rich for my blood, thanks though.

I’m thinking best option is to stay just outside of Old Town. But will see. And what wife wants .

Not only great but more affordable and less crowded.

Not only great but more affordable and less crowded. Maybe split the time, old city for 3 nights, Beach elsewhere for 3 nights.

Take out a Hilton Amex card and you should get close to 2 free nights at the Hilton with the sign up bonus.

Bruce, do a day trip to one of the close islands, or an overnight to Korcula. Check the ferry schedule.

1 Like

Not doing a split stay, but thanks.
Need to do a sit down with the wife and work through some ideas. Anything we book will need to have a good cancellation policy.

My wife and I had a great time in Dubrovnik five years ago. You are going to love it.

We rented an apartment right around here: Old City Apartments, Dubrovnik – Updated 2023 Prices

Not that exact one but close enough. We thought it was the best of both worlds as you were away from the crowds but also in the middle of everything. The Pile gate is less than five minutes away walking.

Even if you don’t go to Korcula, definitely track down some Grk wine from the producer Bire. And some Posip from Mijo Uros.