SLO / Gilroy / San Jose

I’ll be out in CA next month, unfortunately the week prior to Berserkerfest - starting in San Luis Obispo (3/7&8) and then staying in Gilroy (3/9) for a night and then San Jose (3/10&11) for two nights.

While I’ll have company with me pretty much the entire time, any dining recs. I probably have to keep it reasonable in cost, though I can probably splurge a bit on Thurs. night in San Jose.

Firestone’s in SLO is reasonable (cheap even), good tri-tips, and there’s a wine bar downtown featuring Edna Valley wines there too - Taste is the name I think.

Hope you like garlic when you’re in Gilroy. Might be worthwhile to drive down to Pacific Grove to Passionfish…

In San Jose if you want killer steaks or BBQ:

http://www.henryshilife.com/

Can bring your own wine. People of all sorts go there, from rabid Sharks fans to International businessmen.

A true local hidden treasure.

That used to be a favorite hang out. WAY before they would have considered having a web site!

Taste closed awhile ago.

Gilroy… I’m sorry. Not much going on there other then a ton of outlet malls.

San Jose… I’m sure there’s a few good non-corporate restaurants there somewhere?? :\

If you like brewpubs, a short way up the road from Gilroy is El Toro Brewing Co. in Morgan Hill. Decent pub grub and very good beers. Their popular Poppy Jasper is brewed with three kinds of hops. At the pub they pour the regular P.J. and three more that are made with an extra dose of each kind of hops for comparison. They pour some of their aged high gravity beers too.

eltorobrewing.com - Diese Website steht zum Verkauf! - Informationen zum Thema eltorobrewing." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If by splurge you mean SPLURGE try Manresa in Los Gatos or Plumed Horse in Saratoga. Both have Michelin stars and are a short drive from San Jose.

About 20 miles from SLO, the Cass House is a phenomenal upscale Dinner spot. Innovative well presented run by an impressive young couple.

When you’re in SLO, stay at the Madonna Inn and book the Caveman Room.

http://www.madonnainn.com/rooms/137.php

THE CAVEMAN IS A POPULAR PREHISTORIC FIGURE and a whimsical glimpse into his existence is revealed in this rustic den of solid rock! Animal prints, rock pond and stone-age clubs add to the primitive surroundings. A waterfall spills from overhead in the stone shower and water flows from the rocks into a stone sink basin in the cavern-style bathroom. Caveman has a king bed and will accommodate two primates.

Seriously though, don’t forget your Fred and Wilma costumes.