Splurge long weekend in Napa/Sonoma

My friend is celebrating her 40th in June and wants to go to wine country. I’ve been asked to plan it. Looking for any and all tips for a celebratory 4-day splurge trip to Napa and/or Sonoma: lodging, restaurants, wine tastings, and activities. All ideas/opinions welcome!

That is a big question. I would say either Napa or Sonoma and that, along with many other things, depends on your friends. What kind of wines do they like? Do they already prefer either Napa or Sonoma? What kind of dining do they like? Do they want more distractions or are they just into wine? How much driving do they want to do? And that’s just a start.

Good questions. I think they will appreciate the more luxe accommodations in Napa, versus the more laid back style in Sonoma (though the Montage and Farmhouse Inn would suit everyone’s tastes, probably). I also think the dining options in Napa will be more popular among this crowd. That said, the wineries of Sonoma are probably more appealing, both for their array of varietals and the less crowded, less commercialized tasting experiences. So I’m leaning towards Napa for lodging, with maybe spending at least one full day tasting in Sonoma. Does that help?

We stayed at Farmhouse Inn January 2020 and took full advantage of their Winery Partner Program.

When I see the words Napa+Slurge+hotel+Resturaunt, I get = The French Laundry + Bardessono or Villagio in Yountville. Wine tasting at Peter Michael Winery is pretty swanky. Good luck getting an appointment at Peter Michael if you are not on the mailing list though; or a reservation at TFL. Although, the concierge at either hotel mentioned might get you a dinner spot.

I like the Auberge du Soleil as well. Also, enjoyed tasting at Ovid.

I have not stayed there, but we usually eat one dinner there, and definitely Sunday brunch.

I’ve stayed there and it is beautiful. Deck is a wonderful place to have a sunset drink.

Not cheap though.