Summer trip to the Mountains/West

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics, including restaurants
Ethan Abraham
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

Summer trip to the Mountains/West

#1 Post by Ethan Abraham »

After a year of being cooped up like everyone else, I want to get my family out to the mountains. Seems like the two major options are Jackson/Tetons/Yellowstone and Colorado. Maybe Montana too though that's a tougher trip from NYC. We have a 7 and 4 year old so extreme adventure is not on our list. Anyone done a similar summer trip (looking at late June) with young kids and have any suggestions for places to go and stay? Neither I nor my wife have ever been out west (we aren't ski-iers) so I know zero about the options. Really open to anything, just need to get out! At this point I imagine pickings are getting slimmer - just looking it seems like the hotels within Yellowstone are booked, for example.
Thanks!

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Summer trip to the Mountains/West

#2 Post by Michael Martin »

I live in a tourist area in the Rocky Mountain West and near five national parks: Arches, Canyonlands, Black Canyon, Colorado National and Dinosaur. We are already seeing way more people than usual at this time of the year. Talking to people at the winery I work at, they also tell me the parks and other towns nearby are packed.

PeterH
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by PeterH »

I keep reading stories about National Parks and other popular areas seeing record visitation. The remote mountain valley in Washington where we go to XC ski in the winter was overrun.
It wasn't just skiers. Fat tire bikes, snow mobiles, snowshoers, people working remotely from wood stove heated cabins with a satellite internet connection.

I'd say, find a resort on the edge of a wild area (or inside if you are really lucky), and book ASAP. Don't plan a trip that relies on moving around day by day. Not sure why Montana would be tougher than WY or CO.
Mountains are astounding. I hope it works out.

Maybe Canada will open up again.

Slight edit- Don't rule out NM for June. Some mountain locations in CO, MT, and WY are still snow covered then.
P Hickner

On s'en bat les couilles

TimF
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by TimF »

We did Chicago->Tetons->Yellowstone->Devil’s Tower->Dead Wood->Rushmore/Jewel Cave/Wind Cave->Badlands in June of 2010. My son was six and daughter was four. An epic road trip lasting two weeks. We camped in Yellowstone during a snowstorm. I really love Yellowstone — by far my favorite National Park.
Tim F@itsch

Brian Tuite
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#5 Post by Brian Tuite »

PeterH wrote: March 31st, 2021, 9:58 pm
This! Canadian Rockies have the most beautiful scenery I have ever witnessed. Not sure how exciting for the kiddos though.

Go further West, Yosemite!
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

”Dammit Brian, until you tuited this diatribe, I was haiku aging my shit.” ~ Alfert

WOTY Candidates

18 O&F Old Hill
16 LL 1910 Block
18 W&M Shifflett

Ethan Abraham
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#6 Post by Ethan Abraham »

TimF wrote: April 1st, 2021, 6:07 am We did Chicago->Tetons->Yellowstone->Devil’s Tower->Dead Wood->Rushmore/Jewel Cave/Wind Cave->Badlands in June of 2010. My son was six and daughter was four. An epic road trip lasting two weeks. We camped in Yellowstone during a snowstorm. I really love Yellowstone — by far my favorite National Park.
Wow. That is impressive. I think we'd all be ready to never speak to each other again after that much driving!

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by RyanC »

I'll email you separately, but to state it here briefly: the month+ we spent with the kids last summer (7yo and 5yo at the time) in Telluride was one of the most magical times of my life. You should absolutely do it. Hiking and biking and rafting and fishing and waterfalls and wildlife and pure magic. We also spent a few weeks in Beaver Creek later in the summer, which was also great but not quite on the same level.
C@ughey

C. Mc Cart

#8 Post by C. Mc Cart »

PeterH wrote: March 31st, 2021, 9:58 pm

Don't count on it. Everything so far suggests non-essential travel will stay closed for a while. We're well behind most of the US in vaccinations.
Chris

TimF
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by TimF »

Ethan Abraham wrote: April 1st, 2021, 6:14 am
TimF wrote: April 1st, 2021, 6:07 am We did Chicago->Tetons->Yellowstone->Devil’s Tower->Dead Wood->Rushmore/Jewel Cave/Wind Cave->Badlands in June of 2010. My son was six and daughter was four. An epic road trip lasting two weeks. We camped in Yellowstone during a snowstorm. I really love Yellowstone — by far my favorite National Park.
Wow. That is impressive. I think we'd all be ready to never speak to each other again after that much driving!
You'd think that but in 2011 we did Chicago->Jasper NP->Banff NP->Glacier NP->Teddy Roosevelt NP. The kids did a 10 mile hike in Glacier that year (photo below).

One short story about Teddy Roosevelt NP: I'm at the ranger station asking about hikes. You can hike to Teddy's cabin. The ranger begins by explaining that you have to wade through a river. So I'm listening intently and writing stuff down and my wife says, "No. Just stop. Are you crazy?" Instead we hiked through a petrified forest during a lightning storm (my wife and daughter pictured below as we scrambled back to our car). The badlands soil there turns to a slick mud when wet. Our boots were absolutely disgusting. Luckily that was our last stop. I drove through straight home the next day. Teddy Roosevelt NP might be the most underrated of all the parks.

Just thinking about driving through Alberta and the beauty we saw gets me emotional.
Glacier.jpg
Teddy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim F@itsch

Steve Saxon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Steve Saxon »

RyanC wrote: April 1st, 2021, 6:18 am I'll email you separately, but to state it here briefly: the month+ we spent with the kids last summer (7yo and 5yo at the time) in Telluride was one of the most magical times of my life. You should absolutely do it. Hiking and biking and rafting and fishing and waterfalls and wildlife and pure magic. We also spent a few weeks in Beaver Creek later in the summer, which was also great but not quite on the same level.
Telluride sucks, I wouldn't waste my time going there. Last summer was a joke, the town was packed all the time with Texans with there ATV's, hard to get a dinner reservation, all the hiking trails were full and very unfriendly locals. I would recommend Montana.
Saxon and others have willfully trashed this thread and turned it into nonsense without substance.....Mark Squires

Ethan Abraham
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#11 Post by Ethan Abraham »

Steve Saxon wrote: April 1st, 2021, 7:52 am
RyanC wrote: April 1st, 2021, 6:18 am I'll email you separately, but to state it here briefly: the month+ we spent with the kids last summer (7yo and 5yo at the time) in Telluride was one of the most magical times of my life. You should absolutely do it. Hiking and biking and rafting and fishing and waterfalls and wildlife and pure magic. We also spent a few weeks in Beaver Creek later in the summer, which was also great but not quite on the same level.
Telluride sucks, I wouldn't waste my time going there. Last summer was a joke, the town was packed all the time with Texans with there ATV's, hard to get a dinner reservation, all the hiking trails were full and very unfriendly locals. I would recommend Montana.
Well that's another way to look at it.

Montana certainly an option too. A lot of the ranches look to be full all summer though.

John S

#12 Post by John S »

As noted things in the high country will remain much more crowded than normal. So lodging and popular trails will be busy. Normally I would suggest staying near a nice national park and doing some day trips but expect lodging to be hard. There is a much larger supply of lodging near any of the ski areas and many nice trails as well. Once you avoid the easiest and closest access trails the people density should not be an issue. A 30 minute (or less) drive is generally about all it takes to avoid crowds. Most people simply want to walk from their hotel along a creek or something.

If in CO consider visiting Boulder as the views are great and some excellent restaurants. Many trails there as well and all of which see a good amt of people but certainly not packed. Allow some time to acclimate to elevation as in CO the resort towns are 8,000 ft, and the lowlands of Denver and the front range at 5,000 ft.

I raised three kids those ages in CO and quite easy to get them outside walking or doing whatever you want.
John Sprow

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by RyanC »

Ethan Abraham wrote: April 1st, 2021, 8:11 am

Montana certainly an option too. A lot of the ranches look to be full all summer though.
Look at where he's from. I don't think he actually thinks Telluride sucks or that locals are unfriendly.

That said, it did get pretty crowded by the end of our time there. For the first half of June, it was empty (and glorious). By early July, it was pretty bustling.
C@ughey

Ethan Abraham
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#14 Post by Ethan Abraham »

RyanC wrote: April 1st, 2021, 8:21 am
Ethan Abraham wrote: April 1st, 2021, 8:11 am

Look at where he's from. I don't think he actually thinks Telluride sucks or that locals are unfriendly.

That said, it did get pretty crowded by the end of our time there. For the first half of June, it was empty (and glorious). By early July, it was pretty bustling.
I imagine this year will be much busier as people want to travel and Europe is basically off limits! I guess fewer tourists from overseas though.

John S

#15 Post by John S »

Last summer was the busiest I have ever seen in the CO high country. By far. I am guessing this summer will be similar.
John Sprow

T Welch
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by T Welch »

Here's a thread from a couple of years ago. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=160119&p=2822920&hi ... n#p2822920
T*R*U*E*T*T

Ethan Abraham
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17 Post by Ethan Abraham »

Thanks for the posts so far, keep em coming! As much as I would like to do a tour of the parks seems tough right now as most of the in park accomodations are booked solid everywhere. Possibly thought right now is fly to Denver, spend a couple nights there or boulder to get acclimated. Then make our way to telluride (stop in breck? Or somewhere else?) And spend the last 4 nights or so there.

Jackson seems possible but with all the Yellowstone and Teton hotels full maybe better for another year.

Michael_D

#18 Post by Michael_D »

How many days do you have? What kind of country do you want to see/visit? Anything in particular that you want to do? The West is kinda big..... I grew up in Montana, spent summers in Nevada, born in AZ, moved to Alaska in my teens. I just bought property in southern Colo to build a retirement home on. Guess I'm saying I've spent a few decades all over the West. You have soooooo many options and choices to make. So much beautiful country to see, even the flatlands have their own kind of beauty.
D - Dru

Paul McCourt
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#19 Post by Paul McCourt »

The simple fact is that the parks will be super busy this summer. No avoiding that fact. As Michael says, there are a lot of places to visit. One of the questions you need to ask yourself is how much driving do you want to do?

Btw, I regularly take direct flights from NYC into Bozeman to go skiing, so access to Montana shouldn’t be an issue.
PauLeeeenda 2024: Tasty Waves, a Cool Buzz and hugs for America

Michael_D

#20 Post by Michael_D »

At risk of dating myself, I worked at Bridger (ski patrol) in the early 80's..... Skied for "free" during the weekends. So many memories......

Two years ago, the misses and I traveled around in a rental car, hitting ski towns and just winging it. We flew into Albuquerque, New Mexico. Rented a car and drove north through Durango. Spent a couple of nights there, then up through Silvertone to Telluride (by route of Ophir Pass, which is a stunning drive). Spent a couple nights in Telluride, then backtracked to Pagosa Springs through Durango. Spent a couple days there. We then drove north again through Salida, to Breckinridge. Stayed there a couple of nights, then carried on to Grand Lake and stayed there. We then drove to Jackson, via Steamboat Springs. After a night in Jackson, we buzzed over to Macall Idaho for a night, then continued north to Sandpoint. Stayed a couple of nights there, then to Walla Walla. Met a couple of friends and spent three days wine tasting. Then we drove to Leavenworth, Wa and stayed there during the Octoberfest event. After that, we drove to Seattle, dropped off the car, and then took a flight home. If I were to do it again, I'd stretch it out another week and spend more time doing things, like hiking/biking in the towns we stopped at. The trip felt rushed, even though it was roughly three weeks.
D - Dru

Ethan Abraham
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#21 Post by Ethan Abraham »

To answer above - have 8-9 days, certainly driving will be necessary but with two little kids who haven't driven anywhere in over a year we don't want to overdo it. Plan on doing easy hikes, whatever interesting sites/cultural things we can find (Mesa Verde looks neat), maybe hot air balloon or non-white water rafting, etc. Most of the more adventure-sports type stuff won't work with kids. Maybe rent bikes if there are easy paved trails for the bike rider kid.

Paul McCourt
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#22 Post by Paul McCourt »

Mesa Verde is very cool and a simple hike that would be no problem for kids. There is an old narrow gauge train from Durango to Silverton that the kids would probably love.

Michael_D

#23 Post by Michael_D »

We spent about half a day wandering around Mesa Verde during our trip two years ago. I agree with the above. Pretty cool. If you do go there, I suggest you make reservations for the guided tours. When we were there, there were several hikes restricted to the park's guided tours only. You'll also want to start early (before 9am) because it's a slow drive up to the top where the trailheads are. It would take a solid two days to see most of the park.

The train ride to Silverton that Paul McCourt mentioned is fun - for about an hour...... It's not very comfortable, so if you do that trip, you might consider a one-way train ride and shuttle the other direction.

If you do visit Colo, and stay in one of the high elevation cities, be prepared to get winded - a lot. I'm in better shape than most, but where I live, it's basically sea level. When I was wondering about Breckenridge, I was taking breaks and wondering what the hell was happening to me, and that was after being above 6000' elevation for a good week. I suspect it would take a solid two weeks before getting acclimated to the 8000-9000' areas.

In Montana, one of the prettiest places on earth (IMHO) is the Glacier National Park. You could fly into Missoula, then head that way. There are places to stay in the Park, but you could stay in Kalispell or Whitefish too. The whole area from Missoula to Whitefish, and south through the Seely-Swan Valley is stunning (I lived in Seely Lake for several years).

I just looked at the Park's website, and it looks like they will start taking online reservations for entry April 29.
D - Dru

Mel Hill

#24 Post by Mel Hill »

Mesa Verde is well worth it and as mentioned above, the guided tour is the way to go.

Brent C l a y t o n

#25 Post by Brent C l a y t o n »

I concur, Saxon definitely sucks. [snort.gif]
‘Purveyor of Plonk’
Threadsinker
ITB Sales
IG@bigdaddyb420wine

Paul McCourt
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#26 Post by Paul McCourt »

Brent C l a y t o n wrote: April 4th, 2021, 6:22 pm
I concur, Saxon definitely sucks. [snort.gif]
Only LOSERS hang out in Telluride.

Terry H a r r i s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Terry H a r r i s »

As mentioned above, June weather in Wyoming often sees 40 degree swings in temps, with wet, heavy snow thrown in just for good measure (fwiw, I live in Cheyenne and have lived in Wyoming since 1979). So, expect this and pack accordingly (lots of cold or cooler weather clothing "layers" available for each of you, including clothing designed to keep you dry - nothing more miserable for many folks than being wet and cold).

As also mentioned, our national parks likely will be slammed this summer. I understand from my Glacier NP Facebook group that Glacier NP is instituting a "reservation" system for traveling Going to the Sun Road (the only road that actually traverses the entire Park). I think I read a similar approach being taken in Rocky Mountain NP (Colorado) this summer. I am not sure whether Grand Teton or Gellystone NPs are doing something similar, but start looking at their websites. We actually already have reservations in cabins at Colter Bay, in GTNP, for mid-June, for three nights. We made the reservations a couple of months ago, and spots were going fast. I think lodging actually in (within those parks' boundaries) either Gellystone and Glacier tends to be fully booked further in advance than, say, Grand Teton NP, but again, they all tend to book well in advance. One option available to those of us living relatively "near" these National Parks is to remain flexible and call the reservations system in the Park within a week or two of wanting to travel to them to book lodging where someone who previously booked since has canceled, opening up the room or cabin. That really probably isn't an option for you.

Finally, have you considered looking at Air B and Bs or other similar rentals in anyone of the mountain towns in Colorado or Montana (both states tend to have been June weather than Wyoming). Towns like Montrose CO - even though many would not consider a "mountain" town, can put you closer to the mountains and far away from the "crowds" you find in the "front range" of Colorado and in a place that will very much feel like you are hanging out in the Rocky Mountain west. From a place like Montrose, you can drive to some of the neat Utah country, and lots of neat Colorado country. You can get up to Glenwood Springs and their huge hot springs pool the kids likely would enjoy. So many options, in all directions. Good luck and have fun!!
His wife told a 911 operator that she used a pruner "good for pruning roses" and that James's bleeding wasn't enough to create the "sign of the cross, or write sinner" . . . .

Oh, and I pay money to those ITB

andrew morras

#28 Post by andrew morras »

I've been dreaming of going to the mountains for several years, but my whole family loves the sea, so... I have to sacrifice my desires for them. I love my wife and children very much and I can easily choose what they like best, because I am always happy when they are happy. For example, I know that my wife dreams of staying at the Jungle Vista Hotel, but she doesn't talk about it, because she worries that it will be too expensive for me. But I am glad that I found out about her desire and that she is so worried about me, so I will surprise her for the Christmas and we will fly there to rest. Don't think that I'm henpecked, just the key to a good family is taking care of each other without waiting for something in return
Last edited by andrew morras on October 18th, 2021, 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Feldman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Michael Feldman »

Just returned from Zion national park. Beautiful park. Great hiking ( particularly with little kids). Many of the hikes have paved trails. Saw many children on the hikes. Seemed to be plenty of hotel vacancies in town of Springdale (gateway into park).
Highly recommend!

Return to “Travel and Restaurants Forum”