2021 Travel

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics, including restaurants
M.Kaplan
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

2021 Travel

#1 Post by M.Kaplan »

Some people live to eat, others eat to live; some work to live, others live to work. I live and work to travel, like many of us who participate on Wineberserkers. In 2020, we cancelled three months of travel in the US, Europe, and Mexico. Given the vagaries of the pandemic, I booked no travel in 2021 until yesterday. Fingers crossed, I booked three weeks in Cabo starting Memorial Day weekend for my wife and me, the last week of which we will be joined by our son, daughter, and their significant others. All of us are very excited to travel and be together again for the first time in over a year. My spirits are better this morning than they have been all pandemic because we have a family trip to anticipate. We can't wait to go. We can't wait to put the pandemic and its funk behind us. Like many, we have endured terrible pandemic and other losses over the past 12 months and it is a relief to have travel hopes once again.

We postponed a lengthy Corsica, Sardinia, Paris trip in 2020 with the hope of going this year. We still hope to go, but haven't booked anything in Europe yet for the fall. If Europe remains a no-go, we'll likely spend the fall driving around New England and the Tri State area, coronavirus permitting.

What are your travel plans for 2021?
—Mark

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: 2021 Travel

#2 Post by RyanC »

Like everyone else, we postponed a bunch of stuff in 2020. Now we want to make up for lost time. My wife and I got vaccinated a bit ago, and we just spent a week in San Diego, which was excellent. And we're planning on 4 nights in Cabo in May.

For the summer, while I'm itching to return to Europe/Asia, we're going to wait until 2022 to plan a trip that's farther afield. So the current plan is to spend the month of July (and perhaps part of August) somewhere beautiful. The likely destination right now is Telluride, where we spent a phenomenal month last summer. We're also considering other mountain towns, as well as Maine.
C@ughey

Sarah Kirschbaum
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum »

We just cancelled our yearly Galicia, Spain rental for late June. We just didn't think it was fair to tie it up when they might be able to rent to a Spanish traveler who would be less likely to have to cancel. We moved it to next year, same time.

We're still hopeful we may get Spain for at least a long weekend this summer and Japan in fall. I almost pulled the trigger on tickets for our usual every-other-year Thanksgiving long weekend in Piedmont for 2021, but changed my mind last minute.

Very much hope you and your family can keep your plans, Mark! Here's to meeting up again in Paris soon.
Sort of ITB - my husband imports a small amount of sake and I help out

Michael O'Brien

#4 Post by Michael O'Brien »

We are both retired. We take short trips (2 weeks) by land but our long trips are cruises. All of our cruises for 2020 and 2021 were cancelled by cruise lines with the exception of one. We are hopeful it will sail but given the state of the planet at his time, no one knows for certain. Our cruise is scheduled to depart Miami on 21 December this year and end in NYC on 5 July 2022.
PlanoWino

Rick Bollig
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Rick Bollig »

RyanC wrote: March 31st, 2021, 11:28 am Like everyone else, we postponed a bunch of stuff in 2020. Now we want to make up for lost time. My wife and I got vaccinated a bit ago, and we just spent a week in San Diego, which was excellent. And we're planning on 4 nights in Cabo in May.

For the summer, while I'm itching to return to Europe/Asia, we're going to wait until 2022 to plan a trip that's farther afield. So the current plan is to spend the month of July (and perhaps part of August) somewhere beautiful. The likely destination right now is Telluride, where we spent a phenomenal month last summer. We're also considering other mountain towns, as well as Maine.
If you go to Telluride, I suggest planning it around the jazz festival. I’ve been many times (about 15); can’t go anymore because of O2 issues. It’s fantastic.

https://www.telluridejazz.org/

LoriMcLaughlin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by LoriMcLaughlin »

Itching to go back to Europe, but realistically can’t see it happening until late fall. Maybe a Thanksgiving trip to Europe or Canada if the stars align. Ticket prices are excellent so we’ve started looking.

We had booked a villa in Umbria for a family trip in May 2020, which was rolled to May 2021, and which now has been rolled to May 2022. 🤞🏻

In the meantime, we are traveling in the US - driving only so far - and have enjoyed time at Sea Island and the Eastern NC mountains - a total of 11 states and counting. We have plans to visit the aunts in Destin, and for some BigTen hockey games this fall if they open the arenas. Otherwise, looking for opportunities to try new destinations stateside.

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Bdklein »

My wife and I had to cancel a trip to Amsterdam in April 2020. She turns 50 this year in October and wanted to be away on a beach on her b-day . We decided to go to Aruba, primarily since it has the best chance for good weather in the Caribbean and it works from us (live in NY and prefer Delta). I'm hoping we can make it this year-Covid permitting .

Also might be going to the Caribbean (or somewhere) with our college kids this summer , scheduling and Covid permitting .
Bruce Klein

Rick Allen
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#8 Post by Rick Allen »

We had a trip to Italy planned for last Spring, and had hoped to make it this Fall. Given the slow rate of vaccinations in Europe right now, I'm not optimistic. Our back-up plan is to spend a few weeks in the UK instead, assuming that their current COVID restrictions get lifted. If that doesn't work, we'll probably go to New England.

In the meantime, we'll probably take a road trip to Sonoma in May...

BILL DN

#9 Post by BILL DN »

Had to cancel a planned month in Portugal last year. Making up for it by selling our house and moving to Spain this year. (If the visa gets sorted by then, it will be late June or July.)
N e l s o n

Ethan Abraham
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#10 Post by Ethan Abraham »

Grand Cayman in November (assuming they find a way to allow unvaccinated kids in).
Jersey shore in august (ok that barely counts)
June - as posted in this forum somewhere mountainous, maybe CO or WY or NM.

Jim Friedman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Jim Friedman »

December-Annual Aruba family trip
this weekend-drive to Chicago and stay in a hotel for the first time in over a year
we will do more driving trips this year and fly as soon as my wife is feels safe getting on an airplane.

Scott Jameson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Scott Jameson »

California - Napa and Big Sur - in July
UK and France in late September ... pretty confident about the UK portion, keeping our fingers crossed about France

Abbie S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Abbie S. »

We are heading to Sonoma/Mendocino end of April. We just decided last week to book the trip and are really excited to finally travel again.
IG abbieroads

salovon

Jonathan Jaggers

#14 Post by Jonathan Jaggers »

2020 saw us having to cancel our trip to Napa/Sonoma, even though we will both be vaccinated by May, I'm not sure if I want to rebook this year or not (we prefer to go in early Summer, after a close brush with wildfires in 2017). Will definitely be going to the Finger Lakes in late June to visit some wineries there, since it is on the way to my Wive's parents house.

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Paul Jaouen »

They shut down France again. I cancelled my June trip to Beaune about a month ago. Probably traveling to Florida a bit. I have plans to go to Maryland in May and Vermont in July. Looks like I might be planning more domestic travel as overseas is not looking good at this point.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Russell Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Russell Faulkner »

I wouldn't plan on travelling to continental Europe before late summer, even that may be ambitious.
ITB - Feral - Art & Vin

Paul McCourt
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#17 Post by Paul McCourt »

10 days Kauai/Maui end of June. A reschedule from last June. That will probably be it until later in year.
PauLeeeenda 2020: Tasty Waves and a Cool Buzz for America

John Davis
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#18 Post by John Davis »

Like many others, we cancelled a couple of trips. We have nothing planned yet but are looking to do some traveling later in the summer and fall. As to where, negotiations between the wife and I are ongoing. But we are ready to get back to “normal”.
ITB

Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Joe Dulworth »

I wanted to take our previously planned for last May Kauai trip this May but the wife nixed that idea. Point blank she does not want to be on a plane with a mask on for more than 3 hours, tops. So that limits our destinations. So right now we have a 4 night trip planned to Clearwater Beach, FL. Berns is on the list for the final night. Hoping the mask restrictions will ease up at some point and I can get her on a longer flight.
wineismylife

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ wineismylife net

Pat P
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#20 Post by Pat P »

Outer Banks NC in May. Will be 3 weeks after my wifes' and my second shot.
P 1 5 @ N 0

jprusack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by jprusack »

we cancelled three trips to europe in 2020 and despite being vaccinated, we dont have high hopes for 2021. hoping to visit london/paris for a week in november. i think that is realistic but i havent pulled the trigger on anything.

just booked a week near burlington for early summer. we love vermont but goddamn, i miss france, italy and spain.
Jean - pierre

Scott Brunson
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#22 Post by Scott Brunson »

We are considering a flight to our place in FL in mid May. Even though we are both vaccinated, we are still hesitant. We’re also doing a beach staycation in July.
We do have optimistic big travel plans for 2022.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Mike Cohen

#23 Post by Mike Cohen »

My family and I just got back from skiing in Colorado. Absolutely refreshing. We are now discussing a late July/early August trip (domestic) with my family of four and all four Grandparents. Thinking SF and wine country, but open to other ideas. All of the Grandparents ages range from 75-78. All are in good health, but my MIL isn't really into the hiking/biking thing. I'd love to go to Jackson, WY, but it may be too much adventure kinda stuff for the Grandparents.

In the past few years, the eight of us have travelled to Israel (2x), Italy, Spain, and Amsterdam. This past summer we were thinking of France but obviously never went.

All six adults have been fully vaxxed and the two kids will be vaxxed well in advance of travel.

Robert Dentice
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#24 Post by Robert Dentice »

Well for better or worse the pandemic has forced us out of our normal travel destination comfort zone. I drove across the country for the first time and have been doing weekend trips here and there. Since the pandemic started we have hit 25 states and did a week in Ghana which was nearly COVID free.

Absolutely dying to get back to Paris and Germany as well as many other places. Still optimistic for this year!
ITB - source | material

jordan whitehead

#25 Post by jordan whitehead »

Canceled Australia and Singapore for last summer.

Most likely a last minute option mid summer. Hopefully Italy
www.annaswish.org

Robert Ferguson
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#26 Post by Robert Ferguson »

Mike Cohen wrote: April 8th, 2021, 8:01 am All are in good health, but my MIL isn't really into the hiking/biking thing. I'd love to go to Jackson, WY, but it may be too much adventure kinda stuff for the Grandparents.
Jackson may be doable with the grandparents if they are active at all. There's plenty of overlooks/scenic spots in the Tetons and Yellowstone with short or no walks. Will be crowded though.

Dan Hammer
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#27 Post by Dan Hammer »

I'm finally booked on Alaska. They had a sale that expired/expires at midnight local time. JFK to SEA under $100. Same goes for SEA to Austin. We're touring the country. [wink.gif] Yay. Glad to be back in the air.
This space for rent.

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Barry L i p t o n »

Hawaii in May/June for 2 weeks
London/Paris/Vienna in September. If only Britian is open, I'll switch to that.
Mauii in November.

Cancelled Spain and Israel for May/June 2020 and May/June 2021. Maybe 2022.

Scott Brunson
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#29 Post by Scott Brunson »

Barry L i p t o n wrote: April 8th, 2021, 9:50 pm Hawaii in May/June for 2 weeks
Mauii in November.

We’re hoping for Vienna next summer so I’ll be asking advice. I haven’t been in ages.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Jerry Hey

#30 Post by Jerry Hey »

Wailea in October and hoping for, but not counting on, France in December.

Paul Flynn
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Paul Flynn »

We're keeping it conservative for a while longer. We're still not doing planes.

Driving to NC to visit family this Spring. Cape Cod, family again, this summer.

I'm hoping that hotel stays are more mainstream come fall so we can do some long weekends in Mystic and Bar Harbor.
Paul

“I have to have the most expensive thing, not because it’s the most expensive but because it costs more”

Cordelia Chase

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by RyanC »

We just finalized Telluride for July.

In 2022, I'd like to make it to Japan and Spain.
C@ughey

Mike Cohen

#33 Post by Mike Cohen »

Paul Flynn wrote: April 9th, 2021, 7:36 am We're keeping it conservative for a while longer. We're still not doing planes.

I'm hoping that hotel stays are more mainstream come fall so we can do some long weekends in Mystic and Bar Harbor.
Paul,

I've found that hotels aren't really a problem. Wear a mask, don't get the room made up daily, don't hang out in the hotel lobby or bar. I think you should be fine but everyone's comfort level is different. I hope that you enjoy those long weekends.

LoriMcLaughlin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by LoriMcLaughlin »

Scott Brunson wrote: April 9th, 2021, 4:27 am
Barry L i p t o n wrote: April 8th, 2021, 9:50 pm Hawaii in May/June for 2 weeks
Mauii in November.

We’re hoping for Vienna next summer so I’ll be asking advice. I haven’t been in ages.
We were in Vienna in Nov 2019 - our last European jaunt before the shutdown. So glad we made the trip. It was a repeat trip for us - but the first was in 1993! I think we appreciated it so much more this trip. Happy to provide any recs if you need them.

LoriMcLaughlin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by LoriMcLaughlin »

Paul Flynn wrote: April 9th, 2021, 7:36 am We're keeping it conservative for a while longer. We're still not doing planes.

We stayed at a number of hotels since June and have found that while there are some changes, it all depends on your comfort level. The rooms are usually either not made up during your stay or only on request, they have contactless drop off of additional towels, etc., many items in the rooms (coffee makers, etc) have been removed, some not all have discontinued room service, spas are usually back open although without hammams, most other activities are back to normal, etc. For us, we avoid indoor dining, hotel bars, and other crowded places. But it is so good to be traveling again. Good luck!

bradkaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by bradkaplan »

Croatia booked for late June and hoping it sticks. Replacing the trip we were planning to take last summer. Damn I hope the world can see the world again.

David K o l i n
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#37 Post by David K o l i n »

Doing 11 days in New Mexico next month. Did two weeks in Southern Utah over New Years and 10 days in Maine in August. Two flights, stayed in rentals (three nights in hotels - felt very safe), didn’t lose mind. Looking forward to Europe opening up again

C. Mc Cart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by C. Mc Cart »

Postponed booking a spring 2020 N. Italy/ S. France 2x over past 19 months, due to my cancer diagnosis & treatment (all clear), then Covid. Seems unlikely we get vax'd until the summer and we are now under a provincial/ federal mandate that is holding off 2nd doses for 4 months which means we may not get a 2nd dose until much later this year. Kids are still in school and we still work full time so don't travel as much as many, so would prefer when we do travel that our experience is relaxed and something close to pre-Covid, which is the drawn out way to say - we probably won't re-plan that trip to happen until fall 2022 or spring 2023 at the earliest. Suspect some places may be jammed for a number of years as travellers "catch-up" on missed trips or shake off the covid isolation, so maybe I'm still being optimistic with timing.
Chris

jordan jacobs
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by jordan jacobs »

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote: March 31st, 2021, 12:30 pm We just cancelled our yearly Galicia, Spain rental for late June. We just didn't think it was fair to tie it up when they might be able to rent to a Spanish traveler who would be less likely to have to cancel. We moved it to next year, same time.

We're still hopeful we may get Spain for at least a long weekend this summer and Japan in fall. I almost pulled the trigger on tickets for our usual every-other-year Thanksgiving long weekend in Piedmont for 2021, but changed my mind last minute.

Very much hope you and your family can keep your plans, Mark! Here's to meeting up again in Paris soon.
Your kindness knows no bounds

Michael O'Brien

#40 Post by Michael O'Brien »

From the articles I am reading and from a friend's first hand experience this week, if you plan on renting a car, better do it early. Even if you do it early as my friend did, the rental agency may not have a car when you arrive. Rates are higher too. He found the same thing when wanting a Uber to take him to the airport. Two pricing tiers - $44 if Uber arrives in less than 40 minutes, $88 if arrives 40 - 60 minutes. He chose the lower price. It never arrived. The ride to the airport used to be $17.
PlanoWino

Paul McCourt
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#41 Post by Paul McCourt »

Michael O'Brien wrote: April 16th, 2021, 8:47 am From the articles I am reading and from a friend's first hand experience this week, if you plan on renting a car, better do it early. Even if you do it early as my friend did, the rental agency may not have a car when you arrive. Rates are higher too. He found the same thing when wanting a Uber to take him to the airport. Two pricing tiers - $44 if Uber arrives in less than 40 minutes, $88 if arrives 40 - 60 minutes. He chose the lower price. It never arrived. The ride to the airport used to be $17.
Rates are out of hand in Hawaii. Glad I booked a while ago.
PauLeeeenda 2020: Tasty Waves and a Cool Buzz for America

Return to “Travel and Restaurants Forum”