Pittsburgh--hotel/restaurants/interesting places?

We are going to Pittsburgh soon to meet friends for the weekend. We’ll go to the Carnegie art museum but have no other plans. Any hotel,restaurant, and/or interesting sites,stores,etc. suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

I stayed at the Kimpton and really liked it.

Depends on where you want to stay, I f you are looking to stay downtown Kimpton, Fairmont or Renaissance are good, but usually pretty dead. If looking at Shadyside/East Liberty Inn on Negley, Ace Hotel or Indigo my work for you.
Restaurants depends on what you enjoy, Gaucho Parilla, DiAnoia’s are good as well as host of foodie type locations in Lawrenceville & Shadyside areas.
If you want a view of city there is a bevy of restaurants on Mt Washington.
Cultural their is Frick mansion not too far from Carnegie and National Aviary or Phipps Conservatory.

1 Like

My old boss was a founder of this restuarant group with his high school buddy Tom Baron who still is an owner.

https://bbrg.site/

The Andy Warhol Museum is excellent

Poulet bleu is pretty fantastic.

Great suggestions. Thanks to all. Keep them coming.

You kinda have to do the Incline for the view.

1 Like

I like the Ace Hotel–but looks like it isn’t open because of Covid. Mattress Factory is a must:
https://mattress.org/

The National Aviary is close to it too.

The GAP trail is amazing if you like bicycles.

The Strip District is a bit like an open air market but worth hitting up for lunch.

Mr. Roboto Project was in a cool neighborhood on Penn and where my favorite bands seemed to play.

Yes, French and you can byob (corkage). Tough reservation typically.
Morcilla, Spanish, next door opens for indoor dining on 4/8. Both are in Lawrenceville.
Wine is expensive in restaurants and most lists are pretty bad.
It’s been pretty busy downtown the last two weekends.
The view from Mt. Washington is pretty spectacular, especially at night. The Duquesne Incline (funicular) has better views from the cab, but the monongahela Incline is next to Station Square and on Mount Washington there a lot of more lookouts you can walk to.

Solid local operator, I like Casbah in Shadyside the most.
The other major local group is https://www.richarddeshantz.com/
Poulet Bleu is part of the group. Coup d vile is fried chicken in a large space in the Strip District.

Morcilla is fantastic - I try to hit it every time in in the 'burgh.

Kimpton Hotel Monaco is excellent - stayed there during COVID last August. Some dining restrictions at the time, but probably relaxed a bit now.
Suggest visiting the Frick house and museum. Maybe not as fancy as his New York house, but still very interesting.
Church Brew Works - micro-brewery in an old church - is cool, even if beers aren’t great.
The old Gandy Dancer Saloon and the Grand Concourse of the old train station are well worth visiting.

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations. The Mattress Factory, the Carnegie, and the Warhol were excellent. There was an outdoor art festival that was nice.
Poulet bleu, Casbah, and D’anoia were all wonderful food, great service, and friendly low priced corkage.
The Oaklander hotel was very good with excellent service.

1 Like