Chicago--where to eat near JW Mariott

In 2 weeks we are going to Chicago for a few days just to go somewhere. My wife and I have been vaccinated.
We’ll go to the Art Institute of Chicago ( members can go an hour early) and that is why I booked the JW Mariott . It was renovated in 2020 so I’m hopeful.
We don’t plan to do much shopping.
What would you recommend for dining or carryout in that area?
Any better hotel choices?

We stayed in a suite at the JW before Covid in 19 and it was spectacular. I’m sure it’ll be even better after the Reno.

What type of food? If you like Mexican, XOCO is delish!

There is also a Chicago Restaurant thread-

Xoco is delicious. I have been there for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

I am probably looking for modern/Italian/French for a nice dinner out. I was curious what is open these days and really good in the JW Mariott neighborhood because I usually don’t stay there.

Jim,

You probably know this, but there is an exhibition called “Monet and Chicago” at the AIC. I have not gone yet, but it’s supposed to be excellent. If you make it, please share your thoughts, I’m planning a trip to the AIC next month.

I don’t love the location of the JW Marriott as it’s in the heart of the Loop and I tend to dissuade people from staying there unless they are in town for business. The Loop is pretty dead these days (I’m here now!) and even in the best of times it’s a bit sleepy at night. I’d probably stay on North Michigan Avenue. You won’t be substantially farther from AIC than you would be staying at the JW and you’ll be much closer to restaurants/shopping. Obviously, YMMV.

Hey, Jim.

My wife and I went to the Monet exhibit in October. Well worth it

I highly recommend Monteverde in the West Loop for Italian if you’ve not been. I also love Sepia (well selected wine list) Both are across the river and north several
Blocks, but walkable from your hotel. And both are open (but only Thursday - Sunday at this point, I believe)

You might be there for Restaurant Week if you like deals

Isn’t that also walkable to the Italian Village? It’s been a few years since I’ve been there but at least back then the food was OK but the wine list was terrific if you like Italian wines, including some well-priced aged gems. Not for the foodie who wants trendy and creative, though.

Acanto on Michigan Avenue near the museum. The Gage is also pretty good, and the restaurant under the Bean is not bad. Those are options if you really don’t want to venture very far.

Sepia is booked because of restaurant week. Acanto and Monteverde are carry out only. I made a protective reservation at Gage on Saturday night.I remember eating at the Italian Village when I interviewed with a Chicago law firm in 1975. I welcome any other suggestions.

Walk across the river into River North and have dinner at The Kitchen …gorgeous room, view and service … newly reopened for dine in with somewhat new menu but their Bolognese is amazing and their wine list is usually interesting and smart …and sensibly priced.

Restaurant Week goes through April 4th and their RW menu looks great — chicago | Hours + Location | The Kitchen American Bistros

Here’s a link to Restaurant Week in case you want to scan the all those options — https://www.choosechicago.com/chicago-restaurant-week/

Italian Village wine list was picked apart years ago

We had a really nice dinner at Piccolo Sogno the last time we visited Chicago. Great Italian food and a beautiful heated patio.

Restaurant week is usually when I stay away from restaurants. In all honesty I would look for one that is not participating. The Gage is fine but nothing unique. The JW Marriott is in the loop which is pretty much empty these days. Not sure why you chose there but I think there are better locations. Some of the higher end hotels are offering buy 2 nights get 1 free which makes them imminently more affordable if you are here for 3 nights. Topolobampo is doing an excellent meal in their upstairs kitchen. Mako has reopened for sushi. For Italian David’s recommendation of Monteverde is a good one as is Picolo Sogno. I believe Spiaggia is still closed for higher end. While I have not been Andro’s Taverna for Greek is getting rave reviews. Elske is supposedly reopening soon. If you want carry out Eataly has good options and a good selection of Italian wines. Some great high ends stuff. Lots of options. Getting more every week as the city slowly reopens.

George

I was using Marriott points and the JW Marriott looked like the nicest room at a hotel that was recently renovated. These days I prefer empty hotels. They have in and out self parking next-door for $39 a day which is a bargain in Chicago.The art museum is one of the main reasons for visiting.
We will probably drive to the other areas we are going to rather than take Uber.I don’t think we will be doing much shopping on n. Michigan Avenue. We have reservations at avec , the kitchen, and piccolo sogno. It is hard to avoid restaurants using restaurant week so I thought making reservations quickly was important.

Use www.spothero.com for parking. You can get it $20 or less if you want. Usually no in and out.

With the RC closed at least now. The JW is probably the nicest Marriott property.

George

I don’t know how slammed restaurants will be for RW given current conditions but I’ve found some places go out of their way to make their RW offer really good to use as marketing for return visits while others are just bleh. I still miss Naha and their wonderful RW menu and Mercat a la Planxa used to do an amazing meal for RW - not sure if they still do. Depends on the place whether it’s a go or avoid.

I really miss Naha.

George

1 Like

The Monet exhibit was outstanding. We really enjoyed it.
Avec was excellent.the mushroom pasta was really, really good
The Kitchen was also very good.
We had lunch at Kanela Breakfast club because I found a parking space right in front. Surprisingly good

Thanks to all who gave suggestions. It felt great to take an almost normal weekend trip.

So glad you had a good visit and enjoyed your meals and the exhibit!