rocky mountaineer advice?

Has anyone done with highend train experience through the Canadian Rockies? I’d welcome any advice on when to go. What you liked or disliked? Best ways to maximize the experience. Dam, this train is expensive but looks really fun!

Craig

I haven’t ridden any of their longer routes, but my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed their trip from Vancouver to Whistler. Much better than driving if you’re heading up that way, though since they built the new highway for the Olympics there is a meaningful time difference, and of course you can take the highway anytime you want. But still…

I took it from Whistler back to Vancouver about ten years ago and it was awesome. Whistler was a client of our sustainability software and consulting and we usually took the bus up and back hen we went up for meetings but one trip, I made a great executive decision and booked us the first class tickets in the glass domed car. It was a blast … at least at the time, they served a “Fairmont’ high tea (baking the various pastries on the train) as you rode along. The views were astonishing and memorable … though I did slip back into the nearest regular car a few times because it had open windows and it was fun to catch a little of the mountain air and sounds.

Now is it worth it? The service was lovely, the high tea tasty, the wine … ok. The views were truly superb and worth every penny. I’d happily do it again or do a longer trip.

One of the cable channels (Smithsonian) has a 60 minute show on this train. It looks great. Smithsonian Channel: It's Brighter Here

Thanks guys for your input. Also, hoping to hear from someone who has done one of the 2 day routes. I think this is the sort of trip that has a small set of enthusiast making it hard to find anyone who has. None of my local friends have and not even a wealthy friend of mine who has traveled to every country and done every cruise you can list. Its expensive and pretty low key travel. Maybe too low key for many? My wife has a form of MS and I’m looking for more travel involving less walking. She still walks but very slowly with poor balance so this train might be a great trip for the 2 of us. We both love the European high speed trains which are a much much better value but not as cool as the RM. She wants to see Banff but can’t do any serious hiking any longer. I’ve loved trains ever since riding the Empire Builder in 60s.

Craig - so sorry she is dealing with MS. The train would likely be a great option.

When are you planning on doing this? Make sure the service is running. The Ocean - Montreal to Halifax- is shut down because of CV19, we were booked this summer and it was cancelled (full refund made automatically).

Added: The Via rail booking people are very helpful. Well, at least two LOL. Talk to them about choice of room etc. (They told us the shower option was not worthwhile for example). I don’t know that train specifically but Via uses some repurposed rolling stock eg from Britain. Sort of middle ground between Orient Express and TGV.
Props for choosing train option.

Rick, so were you guys booked on the RM? They have a gold and silver option. Wondering what you chose. My understanding there is no over nighting on the train. So not sure how you would take a shower? I’m thinking we only do the no option but their hotel room in Kamloops and then VRBO for a few days in Banff. Haven’t decided if I’ll start in Vancover or Banff. Thinking late June or mid- late September.

My sister took these by train. She said she had a lot of fun. Said it was worth the money! So next month I’ll go too!

Haven’t done the train but was up in Canada a few years ago and we started in Calgary and worked west to Banff and Lake Louise. After that, drove north to Jasper via the Icefields Parkway which is spectacular country and a must see if you have the opportunity.

Definitely do the Gold leaf option if budget allows. Much better experience. It is a very niche experience so no surprise you haven’t got a lot of feedback. Clients into that experience who have booked Gold have only had rave reviews. I say go for it. Happy to answer any questions as well via PM.

We are planning to take the Via Canada train from Toronto to Vancouver, perhaps this autumn or in early winter. Suggestions would be most welcome. Thank you.

If you go too late in the fall or early winter, one suggestion would be to not get off the train between Sudbury ON & Calgary AB. You’ll freeze your noodle off.
The scenery once your past Thunder Bay to just past Calgary is…well, not great. Take a look on a map - that’s a long stretch.

It would be the straight shot from Toronto to Vancouver. No stops midway.

If there’s a way to do one portion of the trip on the Rocky Mountaineer rather than all Via, I’d recommend it - say Whistler to Vancouver in the first class car with high tea … t’s such a treat.