is this the end of byo culture?

Had a thought today - could this current covid-19 situation mark the end of BYO policies at restaurants? Discuss…

[popcorn.gif]

Hope not!!!

Why?

Don’t see any correlation.

When restaurants re-open, I don’t see any change.

I’m hoping for the opposite.

BYO basically doesn’t exist in TX, which has bizarre and antiquated liquor laws. In this crisis, TX has relaxed many of its laws to help local business survive. My hope is that people will realize that the laws were dumb, that no bad came from the new relaxed stance, and that the more-relaxed approach will be here to stay.

One can dream.

I think the end of restaurants in general would be more worrisome.

George

Substitute ‘small chef-driven’ for ‘BYO’. There is no doubt that the corporate restaurants have a better chance of survival. I don’t expect my favorites boites to survive but I can hope that the same relatively low capital need that enabled them to open in the first place enables others to open post-plague.

so, what is the correlation?
i don’t get it

When I feel comfortable again going to a restaurant (which may be much later than when they reopen), the first thing I plan on doing is scheduling an offline.

This exactly

I doubt the end of BYO but it may have restaurants reconsidering their mark up.

It’s probably easier (in a relative sense) for a BYO to switch its business model to takeout/carry out then it is for a restaurant that counted on its wine/liquor program to help cover costs and generate all of its profit. BYOs are also not sitting on an inventory of alcohol.

I think you misspelled “bro.”

+2

Wondering first what % of restaurants (and wineries) will resume business operations. Don’t want to sound gloomy, but…

That said, I would surely agree with waiting for some time before either dining in, or, more likely, doing takeout. Would also look for some type of welcome-back offers; these might include no corkage (and not just on Mon/Tues/Wed) and/or lower markups.
Reasonably-priced fixed price menu with wine pairings by the glass. The restaurant version of Berserker Quarantine Relief. My frugal perspective. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Have done no takeout since we began Shelter In Place. Considering this weekend, from a place that is reliable and is offering an attractive discount.

Noted that a few restaurant websites I checked out are listing the dates they expect to re-open. Based on what? Inquiring minds…

Do BYO restaurants make money or lose money based on their BYO status? Guessing this might be different from restaurant to restaurant, but I will go to a restaurant if they allow me to bring special bottles. Other restaurants require the standard markup on wine to keep the business afloat.

Obviously, this will vary by jurisdiction. Here in CA, corkage is widely offered, with prices and limits varying from place to place.

I would think that restos will want to get butts in seats ASAP. Then you couple that with more than a few places having drawn down their wine inventory to stay afloat. I’d think the wise owners would recognize that adjusting corkage policies should be a good way to lure diners back in.

BYO isn’t legal in Indiana. There are hopes when things finally open up that could change with restaurants being desperate for business they won’t fight the change. Who knows what the restaurant scene will look like when they can be open again.

While I agree restaurants will want to get diners back in ASAP, I also think diners who ate out regularly will be dying to go back to dining out.

(Raising my hand)

While there are a lot of folks champing at the bit, there are plenty of others who will be constrained by financial concerns. Corkage/BYO could help push the reticent to get out of the house and into a restaurant.