is this the end of byo culture?

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics, including restaurants
Michael Klein

is this the end of byo culture?

#1 Post by Michael Klein » March 24th, 2020, 10:58 am

Had a thought today - could this current covid-19 situation mark the end of BYO policies at restaurants? Discuss...

[popcorn.gif]

Bud Carey
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: is this the end of byo culture?

#2 Post by Bud Carey » March 24th, 2020, 11:07 am

Hope not!!!
Budman

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Paul Jaouen » March 24th, 2020, 11:09 am

Why?
Best,
Paul Jaouen

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#4 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » March 24th, 2020, 11:12 am

Don't see any correlation.

When restaurants re-open, I don't see any change.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by RyanC » March 24th, 2020, 11:15 am

I'm hoping for the opposite.

BYO basically doesn't exist in TX, which has bizarre and antiquated liquor laws. In this crisis, TX has relaxed many of its laws to help local business survive. My hope is that people will realize that the laws were dumb, that no bad came from the new relaxed stance, and that the more-relaxed approach will be here to stay.

One can dream.
C@ughey

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by George Hejna » March 24th, 2020, 1:26 pm

I think the end of restaurants in general would be more worrisome.

George

Kevin Porter
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Kevin Porter » March 25th, 2020, 9:29 am

Substitute 'small chef-driven' for 'BYO'. There is no doubt that the corporate restaurants have a better chance of survival. I don't expect my favorites boites to survive but I can hope that the same relatively low capital need that enabled them to open in the first place enables others to open post-plague.

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by mark rudner » March 26th, 2020, 9:39 am

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 11:12 am
Don't see any correlation.

When restaurants re-open, I don't see any change.
so, what is the correlation?
i don't get it

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Howard Cooper » March 26th, 2020, 1:06 pm

When I feel comfortable again going to a restaurant (which may be much later than when they reopen), the first thing I plan on doing is scheduling an offline.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

jordan jacobs
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by jordan jacobs » March 26th, 2020, 8:10 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 1:06 pm
When I feel comfortable again going to a restaurant (which may be much later than when they reopen), the first thing I plan on doing is scheduling an offline.
This exactly

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Randy Bowman » March 26th, 2020, 8:23 pm

I doubt the end of BYO but it may have restaurants reconsidering their mark up.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

Phil M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Phil M » March 27th, 2020, 1:48 pm

It’s probably easier (in a relative sense) for a BYO to switch its business model to takeout/carry out then it is for a restaurant that counted on its wine/liquor program to help cover costs and generate all of its profit. BYOs are also not sitting on an inventory of alcohol.
Ph!l M@rx

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Craig G » March 27th, 2020, 1:54 pm

I think you misspelled “bro.”
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Scott Brunson » March 27th, 2020, 3:40 pm

jordan jacobs wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 8:10 pm
Howard Cooper wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 1:06 pm
This exactly
+2
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Pat K

#15 Post by Pat K » March 27th, 2020, 4:09 pm

Wondering first what % of restaurants (and wineries) will resume business operations. Don't want to sound gloomy, but....

That said, I would surely agree with waiting for some time before either dining in, or, more likely, doing takeout. Would also look for some type of welcome-back offers; these might include no corkage (and not just on Mon/Tues/Wed) and/or lower markups.
Reasonably-priced fixed price menu with wine pairings by the glass. The restaurant version of Berserker Quarantine Relief. My frugal perspective. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Have done no takeout since we began Shelter In Place. Considering this weekend, from a place that is reliable and is offering an attractive discount.

Noted that a few restaurant websites I checked out are listing the dates they expect to re-open. Based on what? Inquiring minds....

Rob Michaels
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Rob Michaels » April 20th, 2020, 7:09 pm

Michael Klein wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 10:58 am
Had a thought today - could this current covid-19 situation mark the end of BYO policies at restaurants? Discuss...

[popcorn.gif]
Do BYO restaurants make money or lose money based on their BYO status? Guessing this might be different from restaurant to restaurant, but I will go to a restaurant if they allow me to bring special bottles. Other restaurants require the standard markup on wine to keep the business afloat.
“I will describe Gamay as Pinot Noir’s New Jersey cousin: It drives a Camaro, it tells dirty jokes, and it’s a whole lot of fun to hang out with.” Jared Hooper, Faith & Flower.

ERPark

#17 Post by ERPark » April 21st, 2020, 2:44 pm

Obviously, this will vary by jurisdiction. Here in CA, corkage is widely offered, with prices and limits varying from place to place.

I would think that restos will want to get butts in seats ASAP. Then you couple that with more than a few places having drawn down their wine inventory to stay afloat. I’d think the wise owners would recognize that adjusting corkage policies should be a good way to lure diners back in.
GEN3

John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by John Davis » April 22nd, 2020, 7:49 am

BYO isn’t legal in Indiana. There are hopes when things finally open up that could change with restaurants being desperate for business they won’t fight the change. Who knows what the restaurant scene will look like when they can be open again.
ITB

R@y.Tupp@+sch

#19 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » April 22nd, 2020, 11:15 am

ERPark wrote:
April 21st, 2020, 2:44 pm

I would think that restos will want to get butts in seats ASAP. Then you couple that with more than a few places having drawn down their wine inventory to stay afloat. I’d think the wise owners would recognize that adjusting corkage policies should be a good way to lure diners back in.
While I agree restaurants will want to get diners back in ASAP, I also think diners who ate out regularly will be dying to go back to dining out.

(Raising my hand)
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

ERPark

#20 Post by ERPark » April 22nd, 2020, 3:32 pm

R@y.Tupp@+sch wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 11:15 am
ERPark wrote:

While I agree restaurants will want to get diners back in ASAP, I also think diners who ate out regularly will be dying to go back to dining out.

(Raising my hand)
While there are a lot of folks champing at the bit, there are plenty of others who will be constrained by financial concerns. Corkage/BYO could help push the reticent to get out of the house and into a restaurant.
GEN3

Victor Hong

#21 Post by Victor Hong » April 23rd, 2020, 8:42 am

The global yet local disappearance of cafe-society culture:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/23/maga ... covid.html

My father made a hard-working but decent living as a neighborhood Chinese restaurant waiter, to afford our nice home, educations, and family life.
What an alien, surrealistic, and perhaps extinct concept now. My mother thoroughly enjoyed a BYO dinner at the Union Square Cafe bar, during September, and recalled it wistfully last night during a Facetime call.
WineHunter.

Victor Hong

#22 Post by Victor Hong » April 25th, 2020, 12:40 pm

WSJ article on the unknown unknowns for urban dining.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/what-w ... 1587843123
WineHunter.

Phil M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Phil M » April 26th, 2020, 12:47 pm

While it is likely that many existing restaurants will go out of business prior to a vaccine becoming widely available, I don't believe that fine dining per se (no pun intended) will not make a resurgence. The folks who have the wherewithal to patronize these types of restaurants are not the ones who will be most impacted and there will be considerable pent-up demand. What would be nice is if all of the current recognition of restaurant workers and other food service providers would translate into higher wages (not holding my breath).
Ph!l M@rx

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Paul McCourt » April 26th, 2020, 5:36 pm

ERPark wrote:
Obviously, this will vary by jurisdiction. Here in CA, corkage is widely offered, with prices and limits varying from place to place.

The conflicting issue is that, depending on social distancing rules, establishments may be more in need of the profits from wine since they will now need to squeeze every dollar out of a reduced number of seats. It will not be easy either way.
PauLeeeenda 2020: Tasty Waves and a Cool Buzz for America

Victor Hong

#25 Post by Victor Hong » April 27th, 2020, 5:13 am

Paul McCourt wrote:
April 26th, 2020, 5:36 pm
ERPark wrote:

The conflicting issue is that, depending on social distancing rules, establishments may be more in need of the profits from wine since they will now need to squeeze every dollar out of a reduced number of seats. It will not be easy either way.
How it may be done. Or attempted.

WineHunter.

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Paul McCourt » April 27th, 2020, 3:39 pm

That one guy is graduating and he can’t even sit correctly?
PauLeeeenda 2020: Tasty Waves and a Cool Buzz for America

Patrick T a y l o r

#27 Post by Patrick T a y l o r » April 27th, 2020, 6:06 pm

John Davis wrote:
April 22nd, 2020, 7:49 am
BYO isn’t legal in Indiana. There are hopes when things finally open up that could change with restaurants being desperate for business they won’t fight the change. Who knows what the restaurant scene will look like when they can be open again.
Who is doing the hoping, besides us plebes? Anyone with actual power?
The enemy of the good is the prefect.

John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by John Davis » April 29th, 2020, 3:07 pm

A bunch of wine geeks just hoping. But restaurants are going to be needing business fast. They may not oppose cork age to the degree they do now.
ITB

Michael Klein

#29 Post by Michael Klein » May 12th, 2020, 12:35 pm

Interesting direction this thread has taken. Crazy its been less than two months. I have no idea still where things are heading, but I have a few semi random thoughts. Just thinking out loud. Food/dining/bars are truly what I "like to do most" in my free time. Im far from ITB and mostly an average dude. I live in Chicago.

- I think bringing your own "anything" into a restaurant is going to be a no, no. Restaurants are going to have all kinds of protocol in place when they are able to reopen, and I don't think most will be ok with me bringing in my own wine. My 2c. I hope I am wrong.

- I toss back and forth what dining may look like. Will it cost 2x to dine out since the dining room will be half full? Will a ~50 seat restaurant in a neighborhood like mine even be able to open under that model? What does it look like when a restaurant tries to continue servicing delivery/carry out and a half full dining room? Why would I want to even dine in that environment? And especially at twice the cost?

- Fine Dining/tasting menus - I think these can come back and make it work easiest. They can charge more money to a wealthy clientele, who have been less affected by the pandemic crisis. Tables far apart, etc. That said, do i really want to pay $500+pp to eat at a Michelin star restaurant and be served by someone with a mask and gloves? I hate putting it that way, but serious question.

- Did we witness the peak of 'food culture' in the 2000s and 2010s? I think of how influential people like Anthony Bourdain were to me and how that influenced my travel and adventurous eating in places like Thailand and Mexico City. Isn't that also what has created "foodies" and instagram culture? I wonder if people are just going to be more timid food and travel wise for some time. I think that ultimately affects the 'food culture' I have come to love in Chicago.

- Bars are screwed. I love love love cocktail bars. I can't even imagine when it becomes OK to go to a favorite cocktail spot, late at night, and catch "that vibe". Sigh.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » May 12th, 2020, 5:21 pm

Fine dining (Michelin luxe places) seems like it was on it’s way out prior to the pandemic. Not totally, but still a trend. He’ll, billionaires won’t support it, see the NYC resto thread re Eleven Mad.

Michel D.

#31 Post by Michel D. » June 14th, 2020, 10:19 am

Went to a dinner and concert in a restaurant yesterday - no outside anything allowed. New health regulation in San Rafael (SF bay area).
Michel Davidoff

Just don't call me Michael !

Victor Hong

#32 Post by Victor Hong » June 14th, 2020, 4:34 pm

A wistful memory at Gramercy Tavern.....
9AC338B1-FD7C-4D73-A05E-2E1F4A6C9607.jpeg
WineHunter.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#33 Post by Merrill Lindquist » June 15th, 2020, 8:22 pm

Not here. Same policy as before at my regular places. Napa Valley revolves around wine and its wine community. We bring, we taste, we share...and we tip our regular establishments nice amounts of money, even if corkage is waived. This is a very special community in regards to this.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Michael Klein

#34 Post by Michael Klein » June 16th, 2020, 12:18 pm

So happy to be so wrong on this one. We have a dinner res friday night at a favorite in our neighborhood (Daisies, here in Chicago) and are excited to be bringing along some wine.

Return to “Travel and Restaurants Forum”