Coronavirus and Summer Travel

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics, including restaurants
mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Coronavirus and Summer Travel

#251 Post by mike pobega » May 8th, 2020, 2:47 pm

I too have Rome in October/November. Please share the travel agents thoughts, Phil. Thanks

Phil M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#252 Post by Phil M » May 10th, 2020, 2:18 pm

mike pobega wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 2:47 pm
I too have Rome in October/November. Please share the travel agents thoughts, Phil. Thanks
Will do.
Ph!l M@rx

Michael Klein

#253 Post by Michael Klein » May 14th, 2020, 8:21 am

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/euro ... index.html

TLDR is that europe in general seems to be on a path to try to reopen. That said, prospects look poor for those of us visiting from the US. I have a trip to Portugal on the books late August and am starting to accept that it is most likely not going to happen. I can still dream though.

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#254 Post by mark rudner » May 14th, 2020, 9:18 am

emirates cancelled my late june flight to milan as of last night
i was hoping they would so i wouldn't have to make the decision
sicily will have to wait another year

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#255 Post by Jorge Henriquez » May 14th, 2020, 12:21 pm

Shoulda been in Palma de Mallorca right about now.........sniff.
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#256 Post by Paul McCourt » May 23rd, 2020, 12:12 pm

I do love United.

We have a flight end of June to Kaui. Expect to cancel, but haven’t gotten around to it. But I am enjoying the shitshow of United moving my flight around. The original outbound was a stop in DEN then straight to Kauai. Then the Kauai leg was “waitlisted”. Then both outbound legs were. Then changed to up to Boston with the wife in first and me in the back. Then to SFO in the back but separated. Then to Kaui with each of us in the middle seat in the first comfort row. All this seating is despite other seats available. Now showing no flight at all from SFO onward, while asking to accept changes that don’t even get me to my destination. Ok.

Not to mention them saying if I pick an upgrade seat on the new flight that is more than what I paid, they will charge me the difference, but zero refund if the new pick is less. Which all the picks are now.
PauLeeeenda 2020: Tasty Waves and a Cool Buzz for America

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#257 Post by mark rudner » May 24th, 2020, 6:38 am

Paul McCourt wrote:
May 23rd, 2020, 12:12 pm
I do love United.

We have a flight end of June to Kaui. Expect to cancel, but haven’t gotten around to it. But I am enjoying the shitshow of United moving my flight around. The original outbound was a stop in DEN then straight to Kauai. Then the Kauai leg was “waitlisted”. Then both outbound legs were. Then changed to up to Boston with the wife in first and me in the back. Then to SFO in the back but separated. Then to Kaui with each of us in the middle seat in the first comfort row. All this seating is despite other seats available. Now showing no flight at all from SFO onward, while asking to accept changes that don’t even get me to my destination. Ok.

Not to mention them saying if I pick an upgrade seat on the new flight that is more than what I paid, they will charge me the difference, but zero refund if the new pick is less. Which all the picks are now.
i'm not sure shitshow is strong enough to describe that!

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#258 Post by Paul McCourt » May 27th, 2020, 10:02 am

They tried to refuse a refund. I put that down fast since it was they who weren’t getting me to my destination.

I fly United frequently enough that I would certainly use a credit, but not if BK is a possibility.

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#259 Post by Mike Maguire » May 30th, 2020, 8:59 am

Alaska is lifting the 14 quarantine June 5th.Testing 72 hr. before boarding mandatory.
I can live with that.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#260 Post by Merrill Lindquist » May 30th, 2020, 1:44 pm

There are states where the 14 day quarantine is "urged" (like Massachusetts).Not dictated and not enforced...no citations or stuff like that. Others have or have had a hard and fast 14 day quarantine.

Starting Monday, travelers to Napa Valley will find things much more open.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Victor Hong

#261 Post by Victor Hong » May 30th, 2020, 6:11 pm

Paul McCourt wrote:
May 27th, 2020, 10:02 am
They tried to refuse a refund. I put that down fast since it was they who weren’t getting me to my destination.

I fly United frequently enough that I would certainly use a credit, but not if BK is a possibility.
Was that an expressly non-refundable ticket?

In late March, United fully refunded in cash the expressly non-refundable tickets which my mother and I had, for mid-February flights between San Francisco and Chicago. We cancelled just three days before departure, as the virus situation accelerated; United did not unilaterally cancel our reservations. I suspect that submitting the refund request early was key.
WineHunter.

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#262 Post by Paul McCourt » May 30th, 2020, 6:56 pm

Victor Hong wrote:
May 30th, 2020, 6:11 pm
Paul McCourt wrote:
May 27th, 2020, 10:02 am

Was that an expressly non-refundable ticket?

In late March, United fully refunded in cash the expressly non-refundable tickets which my mother and I had, for mid-February flights between San Francisco and Chicago. We cancelled just three days before departure, as the virus situation accelerated; United did not unilaterally cancel our reservations. I suspect that submitting the refund request early was key.
Doesn’t matter if it is refundable or not if they cancel. They are legally bound to give you a refund in that scenario.

Return to “Travel and Restaurants Forum”