sounds pretty good right about now...

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Coronavirus and Summer Travel

#203 Post by Michael O'Brien » March 19th, 2020, 1:26 pm

theocorrel wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 3:24 pm
Thanks Micheal, that is a very useful site. I wish they had the US broken down by state. I think the logarithmic graphs are key. I'm shocked by the cases per 1M for Germany and France versus China. (I wonder what Wuhan province is?) And I suspect the Seattle/Washington state rate is higher than Germany or France...
They do. Just click on the U.S.A. link and it will drill down.
PlanoWino

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#204 Post by Michael O'Brien » March 19th, 2020, 1:28 pm

PeterH wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 4:18 pm
theocorrel wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 3:24 pm
Thanks Micheal, that is a very useful site. I wish they had the US broken down by state. I think the logarithmic graphs are key. I'm shocked by the cases per 1M for Germany and France versus China. (I wonder what Wuhan province is?) And I suspect the Seattle/Washington state rate is higher than Germany or France...
The reported Washington State rate is about the same as France. I doubt the accuracy of any reported figures, however.
I don't think there is an accurate count and we certainly don't know much about the U.S. since testing is so sparse and limited. However, this is the website most news services and other sources of information are using for their data so it may be the best we have for now.

Worldometer compiles lots of data not just on Coronavirus. If you look at https://www.worldometers.info/ you will find other statistics that might be of interest. Watch the meter spin. [winner.gif]
PlanoWino

dbailey

#205 Post by dbailey » March 19th, 2020, 3:47 pm

mark rudner wrote:
March 19th, 2020, 9:56 am
oh man 2 weeks in jumby
sounds pretty good right about now...
No kidding! Hopefully, we’ll all get back there later this year instead.
Dan

Jeff Bloom
GCC Member
GCC Member

#206 Post by Jeff Bloom » March 24th, 2020, 11:04 am

Three plus weeks into this thread and things have changed so dramatically. I said back then we were uncertain about our trip to Australia but we went because things looked okay there. Had a great week in Sydney and North Queensland, with people acting normally and minimal restrictions just going into place. Then the two week quarantine imposed on people coming in and guidance to locals to cancel international travel led Qantas to basically shut down international flights. We quickly rearranged our plans and got out in the nick of time. Fortunately no problems in customs at LAX because we weren't coming in from an at risk country; people on a British Airways flight that came in at the same time were sent for additional screening.

We had planned to leave our September Europe trip in place but that's now coming off the table. Even if things improve over the summer, it's going to take a while for Italy and Spain to get anywhere close to normal and the hit to my assets requires a travel breather.

The airports were scarily empty a few days ago. Made getting through everything very easy but it was pretty eerie. I flew shortly after flights started up again after 9/11 and this was much emptier and people were more on edge (most at the desks, in the clubs and in the stores wondering how long they would have a job).

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

#207 Post by mike pobega » March 24th, 2020, 11:18 am

I have a different take, Jeff.
I have rescheduled my trip for October 26-November 7th. I suspect things should be as near normal by then, or at least I hope so. Seven months from this week.
I have my AirB&B in place. The tickets will follow after this situation calms.
The way I see it, Italy can use the 4-5 thousand dollars spending money that I have for her.
Here is an old slide from Rome I just scanned this morning. She certainly is eternal.
Attachments
imgturtles3044.jpg

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#208 Post by Josh Grossman » March 24th, 2020, 11:22 am

We have a house right across the street from Joe Biden's primary residence, in Rehoboth Beach, rented for August.

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#209 Post by Michael O'Brien » March 28th, 2020, 12:19 pm

I am going to have to wait and see if American Airlines and Air Canada loosen up the cancellation rules for our July trip. So far, we will have to eat the airfare so I will wait until the last minute to cancel hoping for some relief. Our book/pay dates were much earlier than the dates included in their Covid-19 plan.
PlanoWino

Mike Maguire
GCC Member
GCC Member

#210 Post by Mike Maguire » April 1st, 2020, 1:59 pm

Mike Maguire wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 6:29 pm
Still going to Sitka for the summer.🤪 [dance-clap.gif]
Update
Headed up next week to start 14 day quarantine, can still crab off the dock [cheers.gif]

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#211 Post by Paul McCourt » April 2nd, 2020, 12:13 pm

I have a trip to Kauai end of June. Holding off for now changing anything but less than hopeful.
PauLeeeenda 2020: Tasty Waves and a Cool Buzz for America

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

#212 Post by mike pobega » April 3rd, 2020, 11:00 am

Delta just sent an email to notify there are extending credits for 2 years. Awesome

Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#213 Post by Joe Dulworth » April 3rd, 2020, 12:05 pm

mike pobega wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 11:00 am
Delta just sent an email to notify there are extending credits for 2 years. Awesome
That's great news. Now to get American "Profits before People" Airlines to follow suit.
wineismylife

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ wineismylife net

David Kaufman

#214 Post by David Kaufman » April 4th, 2020, 8:45 am

Cancelled our Maui trip which was scheduled for Spring Break in mid-March. Hotel tentatively rebooked for summer break ins June, but now that feels unlikely. Thinking our best bet may be to wait until the fall

Mike Wenzel
GCC Member
GCC Member

#215 Post by Mike Wenzel » April 7th, 2020, 8:50 am

David Kaufman wrote:
April 4th, 2020, 8:45 am
Cancelled our Maui trip which was scheduled for Spring Break in mid-March. Hotel tentatively rebooked for summer break ins June, but now that feels unlikely. Thinking our best bet may be to wait until the fall
Same but for Big Island. Thinking June highly unlikely.
Last edited by Mike Wenzel on April 20th, 2020, 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#216 Post by Bdklein » April 8th, 2020, 3:02 pm

mike pobega wrote:
April 3rd, 2020, 11:00 am
We tried getting money and our miles back , but no go. 2 year credit it will be . Delta doing a good thing by extending perks for another year to Medallion members
Bruce Klein

Al Osterheld

#217 Post by Al Osterheld » April 8th, 2020, 8:05 pm

Saw an article that airlines may cancel most flights this summer. I have a trip in late July. We'll see.

-Al

LMD Ermitaño

#218 Post by LMD Ermitaño » April 8th, 2020, 11:42 pm

Absent any absolutely urgent and essential face to face work meetings abroad, I don’t intend to fly anywhere until next year.
Luis Manuel Debuque Monreal Ermitaño

ChrisW

#219 Post by ChrisW » April 9th, 2020, 2:46 pm

Had a direct award flight to FCO on AA cancelled. Flight is in October. Only found out checking my account. Called AA and agent told me they actually cancelled it on April 5, just working through a massive backlog and anticipated I "would have been contacted in the next few days". Looks like they're keeping open certain business-centric gateways to Europe (LHR, MUN but no ZUR?) and forcing intra-Europe connectors to other major cities. Throwing darts at a board...
<@ru@n@

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#220 Post by Rick Allen » April 14th, 2020, 9:56 am

Just cancelled everything for our May trip to Italy. Got everything back that I've tried to get back from reservations. Still have my Eurail pass (now valid until the end of 2021) and I need to deal with Delta, but glad I waited. I think we'll try again for either May or October/November next year...

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

#221 Post by mike pobega » April 14th, 2020, 11:32 am

I had multiple tickets to Modena/Bologna/Rome/Naples (this week!)
Trentalia is figuring out a refund. I expect it to take a bit of time.

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#222 Post by dcornutt » April 15th, 2020, 2:34 am

Macron just extended their internal travel restrictions to May 11th. He said the cafes won't open until mid July. My wonderful early June trip to France is now cancelled. Refunds are interesting. The government in March made keeping your deposit for 18 months legal. Most are keeping the money and seeing if you are traveling. Just be prepared to not get your money back for 18 months or get a credit on future travel. This overrides the 7 day cancellation policy most had before this pandemic.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#223 Post by Jud Reis » April 15th, 2020, 6:27 am

We have cancelled June trip to London/Croatia. Airfare was non refundable, pondering when to plan again. Thinking October and then will cancel again if things haven’t improved enough.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#224 Post by Merrill Lindquist » April 15th, 2020, 12:32 pm

Jud Reis wrote:
April 15th, 2020, 6:27 am
We have cancelled June trip to London/Croatia. Airfare was non refundable, pondering when to plan again. Thinking October and then will cancel again if things haven’t improved enough.
I'm headed to Rockport second week of June. If they are flying, I am going.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#225 Post by Jud Reis » April 15th, 2020, 12:38 pm

[/quote]I'm headed to Rockport second week of June. If they are flying, I am going.
[/quote]

We’ll have to find a way to see each other, even if it is from a distance...

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#226 Post by Merrill Lindquist » April 15th, 2020, 1:06 pm

Jud Reis wrote:
April 15th, 2020, 12:38 pm
I'm headed to Rockport second week of June. If they are flying, I am going.
[/quote]

We’ll have to find a way to see each other, even if it is from a distance...
[/quote]For sure. I have a cocktail deck on the rocks at the house...Eden Road area.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

ChrisW

#227 Post by ChrisW » April 15th, 2020, 5:22 pm

mike pobega wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 11:32 am
I had multiple tickets to Modena/Bologna/Rome/Naples (this week!)
Trentalia is figuring out a refund. I expect it to take a bit of time.
Make sure they refund in EUR. By the time Trenitalia issues it they might be back on the Lira :)
<@ru@n@

ckirk

#228 Post by ckirk » April 16th, 2020, 2:22 pm

Wife and I went on a delayed honeymoon to Italy last May and her milestone birthday to Iceland/France in December. Glad it was last year and not this year. I feel for everyone juggling and cancelling hard earned vacations. Looks like my June milestone birthday will be spent at home too instead of the surprise trip my wife planned😔
Craig Kirk [cheers.gif]

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#229 Post by Dan Hammer » April 16th, 2020, 2:27 pm

I'm antsy to re-book my London and UK trip.

While this frequent flyer loves to fly, I'm going to sit in the penalty box for a while and wait things out. What's my rush?

FYI, for those that aren't aware of the term, the penalty box is where planes sit on the runway (in an out of the way location), while they wait to be cleared for flight by ATC. It's usually weather related.
This space for rent.

jordan whitehead

#230 Post by jordan whitehead » April 16th, 2020, 6:56 pm

supposed to go to Oz and SIN end of july-early august. Hope so
www.annaswish.org

SZZimmermann
GCC Member
GCC Member

#231 Post by SZZimmermann » April 16th, 2020, 6:59 pm

Our tour to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the Nuremberg trials (to Poland and Germany) starting on July 5 just canceled.
Scott Zimmermann

Keith A k e r s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#232 Post by Keith A k e r s » April 17th, 2020, 11:34 am

i'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can do my trip to France/Spain in late/august-october. I had to cancel it as it was supposed to be now. If I can fly in later this summer, I'm going.

David Kaufman

#233 Post by David Kaufman » April 17th, 2020, 1:17 pm

Was hoping to squeeze in a Sonoma or Willamette trip late June. Wishful thinking?

Mike Grammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#234 Post by Mike Grammer » April 18th, 2020, 4:13 pm

dcornutt wrote:
April 15th, 2020, 2:34 am
Macron just extended their internal travel restrictions to May 11th. He said the cafes won't open until mid July. My wonderful early June trip to France is now cancelled. Refunds are interesting. The government in March made keeping your deposit for 18 months legal. Most are keeping the money and seeing if you are traveling. Just be prepared to not get your money back for 18 months or get a credit on future travel. This overrides the 7 day cancellation policy most had before this pandemic.
Sorry to hear, Don, I'm sure you were looking forward to it, just as my friends and I were to our Loire/Burgundy trip which would be happening...um...now and which we've deferred to next year. Not holding out a lot of hope for my other scheduled trip, the triennial Eastern Seaboard tour at the end of August. Hoping to still get to Atlanta for the usual weekend in October.
Lived Life. With Love. Full Cup

E Schaffer

#235 Post by E Schaffer » April 24th, 2020, 12:53 pm

Interesting to read this thread from start to finish and see the progression. I certainly had no idea in February we'd be where we are now. We have a Portland/Willamette Valley trip planned in mid-July that I think is not going to happen. I think our only loss at this point will be a deposit on a place in McMinnville. Interestingly Airbnb is giving a full refund but VRBO will not. Something to keep in mind in the future.

geoffpm

#236 Post by geoffpm » April 25th, 2020, 6:23 am

I had planned to spend the summer in Frontignan,France. 100 meters from the beach. Paid half of the house rental in December via VRBO. The deposit was non refundable but we have been going every summer for the past few years so I bit the bullet.

Fast forward to last week. VRBO changed the policy and France allowed landlords to offer vouchers for up to a year. Since I am 68 and immunocomprised, I won’t travel again until there is a vaccine. I wrote a letter to the landlord explaining my health situation and asked if they could refund at least half of the deposit.

Today, I received an email and notice from VRBO that the landlord had refunded all of my deposit. I can’t thank them enough and will rent there as soon as I can travel.
Geoffrey P Miller

Jim Brennan

#237 Post by Jim Brennan » April 25th, 2020, 6:35 am

Mike Grammer wrote:
April 18th, 2020, 4:13 pm
dcornutt wrote:
April 15th, 2020, 2:34 am
Sorry to hear, Don, I'm sure you were looking forward to it, just as my friends and I were to our Loire/Burgundy trip which would be happening...um...now and which we've deferred to next year. Not holding out a lot of hope for my other scheduled trip, the triennial Eastern Seaboard tour at the end of August. Hoping to still get to Atlanta for the usual weekend in October.
We were planning a trip to Austria and Germany in early July to travel with my son following the conclusion of his sophomore year of college in Salzburg. He's still there finishing the year, but it seems quite unlikely that we'll be making this trip... I guess I should start looking at my rescheduling options for 2021.

Phil M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#238 Post by Phil M » April 26th, 2020, 12:53 pm

Slightly off-thread, but I am wondering if our scheduled late October trip to Milan and Piedmont will be viable. Given all the area has gone through, I would love to show my support with my tourism dollars, but this also might be right in time for Dr. Fauci's fall resurgence. [cray.gif] So far we are hanging tight, but we may have to fish or cut bait by July/August.
Ph!l M@rx

jprusack

#239 Post by jprusack » April 27th, 2020, 11:42 am

Phil M wrote:
April 26th, 2020, 12:53 pm
Slightly off-thread, but I am wondering if our scheduled late October trip to Milan and Piedmont will be viable. Given all the area has gone through, I would love to show my support with my tourism dollars, but this also might be right in time for Dr. Fauci's fall resurgence. [cray.gif] So far we are hanging tight, but we may have to fish or cut bait by July/August.
if you do end up in milan, have aperitivo at mom cafe followed by dinner at trippa. what a beautiful town.

i cancelled a cycling trip scheduled for this week in girona. everything was non refundable but because the flights were cancelled and spain is still locked down, i got all of my money back. id recommend doing everything through your credit card. a friend had a st tropez hotel insist they can keep his money via that french law that was mentioned above. visa was able to get his money back. amex has been great during this process.

im with the gentleman who thinks italy could use my money during this time. id like to be in paris late november for my anniversary but dont want to plan a trip this summer for the simple fact that im not sure what i will be able to enjoy if im there. we pushed our summer trip to liguria to 2021.

terrible times. im sure a lot of us love traveling and being in europe on vacations...its one of my favorite joys being on a beach in catalunya or liguria or the cote d'azur.
Jean - pierre

CliffL

#240 Post by CliffL » April 28th, 2020, 8:39 am

We are still scheduled to spend a few weeks in Ireland leaving the last few days of August. I would have figured the flights would have gotten cheaper but they have actually gone up. Delta never canceled our original flights like they have with some others.

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#241 Post by Paul Miller » April 28th, 2020, 2:52 pm

Pat K

#242 Post by Pat K » April 28th, 2020, 2:59 pm

Got word today that a wine conference scheduled for August in CA officially cancelled. Expected. All of our travel on hold. Reminds me of the Led Zeppelin song: "all will be revealed".

https://genius.com/Led-zeppelin-kashmir-lyrics

[scratch.gif] [scratch.gif]

Victor Hong

#243 Post by Victor Hong » April 29th, 2020, 11:40 am

We just cancelled our October trip to the Grand Canyon.
WineHunter.

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#244 Post by Paul Miller » April 29th, 2020, 12:45 pm

Victor Hong wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 11:40 am
We just cancelled our October trip to the Grand Canyon.
I just went hiking through the Paper Canyon

_MG_1623 - Copy (1280x853).jpg

mike pobega
GCC Member
GCC Member

#245 Post by mike pobega » April 30th, 2020, 3:13 pm

Just today. ItaliaRail decision. I went option 2. Seems quite fair.

Ciao Mike,

We hope this email finds you and your family safe and healthy.

Thank you so much for your patience and understanding while we have been working with Trenitalia to secure the best options we can for your changing travel plans.

We apologize that it has taken as long as it has to get back to you on this, unfortunately due to the unprecedented nature of the situation and with Italy being hit first and very hard, it has taken longer than hoped to get the various options resolved.

We understand how difficult it is now for everyone everywhere; just a few weeks ago we were all hoping that the situation would be contained to Italy and overcome quickly. Unfortunately that is not what has happened.

We really appreciate beyond words the overwhelming positive feedback and support we have received from our customers and hope that you all will be in a position to travel again sooner rather than later and that Italy will stay at the top of your destination list; to that end, accepting all or part of your order in the form of a credit through ItaliaRail.com would help us tremendously and send a wonderful message of support to the Italian tourism industry.

If you are able to accept all or partial travel credit the ItaliaRail team will make sure that you, your friends and family will have the best trip(s) ever - you and your family and friends will be treated like our family!

Please select one of the three options below after carefully considering which option will best suit your needs; the corresponding link will:

a) Authorize ItaliaRail to collect your refund from Trenitalia and apply it toward our enhanced credit & refund terms - due by May 15, 2020;

OR

b) Provide instructions on how to request a refund directly from Trenitalia and a link to their refund forms - due by June 30, 2020

Option 1:
ItaliaRail Credit + 5 years of "Friends & Family" Pricing
ItaliaRail would like to offer you a fully transferable ItaliaRail.com credit for the full value of your original purchase.

This amounts to USD 163.

Your ItaliaRail credit will be valid until December 31, 2022 and is fully transferable to another traveler if you are unable to use it.

In addition to your ItaliaRail credit, we will provide you fully transferable/shareable “Friends & Family” Pricing (5%-25% off) up to a $1,000 USD value. This can be applied through our Custom Vacations Desk (ItaliaVacations) where you will receive insider pricing for savings on hotels, tours and activities, car rentals, restaurants, airport transfers and more. PLUS we will extend you our “Friends & Family” rates until December 31, 2025.

Deadline May 15, 2020
Processed in 2-4 weeks

Click here for Credit
Option 2:
ItaliaRail Refund & Credit + 3 years of "Friends & Family" Pricing
If you have non-refundable tickets, ItaliaRail will refund 50% of the full value of your original purchase back to your credit card, the remaining 50% will be issued as an ItaliaRail.com Credit. Your ItaliaRail credit will be valid until December 31, 2022 and is fully transferable to another traveler if you are unable to use it.

If you have refundable tickets, ItaliaRail will refund 80% of your purchase back to your credit card, the remaining 20% will be issued as an ItaliaRail.com Credit. Your ItaliaRail credit will be valid until December 31, 2022 and is fully transferable to another traveler if you are unable to use it.

In addition to your ItaliaRail credit, we will provide you fully transferable/shareable “Friends & Family” Pricing (5%-25% off) up to a $500 USD value. This can be applied through our Custom Vacations Desk (ItaliaVacations) where you will receive insider pricing for savings on hotels, tours and activities, car rentals, restaurants, airport transfers and more. PLUS we will extend you our “Friends & Family” rates until December 31, 2023.

Deadline May 15, 2020
Processed in approx. 4-8 weeks

Click here for Refund & Credit
Option 3:
Trenitalia Bank Transfer + "Friends & Family" Pricing
Our supplier, Trenitalia, will refund 100% of the rail portion of your tickets via bank transfer when you fill out their Online refund form(s) and provide them your bank’s international wire instructions.

This amounts to EUR 139.60.

Please contact your bank and have your international wiring information handy for filling out their form(s).

There are separate forms required for each hi-speed train and/or for each regional train ticket that you have.

Your refund(s) will be for the ticket price in Euros, the actual amount in your local currency will depend on your bank’s prevailing exchange rate.

In addition, we will provide you fully transferable/shareable “Friends & Family” Pricing (5%-25% off) up to a $250 USD value. This can be applied through our Custom Vacations Desk (ItaliaVacations) where you will receive insider pricing for savings on hotels, tours and activities, car rentals, restaurants, airport transfers and more. PLUS we will extend you our “Friends & Family” rates until December 31, 2022.

We have provided a page on our website to help you understand how to fill in the Trenitalia forms correctly to hopefully save you time and aggravation:

Deadline June 30, 2020
Processed in approx. 8-16 weeks

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#246 Post by Paul McCourt » May 2nd, 2020, 6:27 pm

I had Amtrak tickets coming home from my daughters graduation (I would drive the packed car and the fam would take train). No refund only a credit.
PauLeeeenda 2020: Tasty Waves and a Cool Buzz for America

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#247 Post by Nola Palomar » May 4th, 2020, 8:38 pm

My daughters scuba trip in the British Virgin Islands was cancelled. She was planning on getting her Rescue Dive Cert. and next year her Dive Master. Poor kid she having a tough time adjusting to all these changes. Can’t see to positives. AP tests coming up in the 25th. Major school projects due in another week, with everything she had a meltdown.
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#248 Post by Siun o'Connell » May 4th, 2020, 9:19 pm

Oh no Nola - all the stress and none of the fun bits!

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#249 Post by James Lyon » May 5th, 2020, 12:50 pm

David Kaufman wrote:
April 17th, 2020, 1:17 pm
Was hoping to squeeze in a Sonoma or Willamette trip late June. Wishful thinking?
We've vacationed in Newberg the last week of June since 2014. I haven't completely abandoned hope for this year, but late June appears doubtful. Perhaps late summer or early fall will be possible.

James

Phil M
GCC Member
GCC Member

#250 Post by Phil M » May 8th, 2020, 1:40 pm

Phil M wrote:
April 26th, 2020, 12:53 pm
AA cancelled our flights to/from Milan about a week ago and were pretty good about processing the refund - after offering a 20% bump to keep the tickets for a future flight.

We are going to reach out to our local travel agent to see how she is doing and get her thoughts on travel in Piedmont in the fall.
Ph!l M@rx

Return to “Travel and Restaurants Forum”