Winery Suggestions - Chablis, Cote de Beaune, Beaujolais

My wife and I are taking a France trip this June (assuming Coronavirus doesn’t ruin our plans). We’re doing a couple nights each in Chablis, Beaune, and Beaujolais (near Julienas).

Was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for wineries to casually visit? I’m not looking for break-the-bank collectibles, just tasty, reasonably priced juice at really scenic properties with welcoming, English-speaking employees. Even if we can’t get a proper tour/tasting, do you know of any beautiful places to pop in for a picnic and to buy a bottle? Do you have any favorite villages in the regions that are especially charming and fun to spend an afternoon?

Thanks! [thankyou.gif]

Slightly off topic. Five of us had an outstanding lunch here. I still remember it 17 years later.

Highly recommended. Had a great lunch here in 2016 and also remembered it well.

For a winery that meets most if not of your points check out Brocard. History | Domaine Jean-Marc Brocard

1 Like

I’m not sure if you have been to France before (or elsewhere out of country), but making an attempt to speak the native language will go a long way. In addition, many of the residents of rural areas speak less English than in the major cities. Consider taking a French class or accessing a learning application (Rosetta Stone, etc…). Attempting to speak in French will earn you a lot of respect from your hosts as well as broaden your visit opportunities. When I went to Italy in 1999 (my first trip overseas), I took an Italian language class at my local community college. It worked wonders and created opportunities as well as showing respect to my hosts. Burgundy is an amazing place to visit and you are going to have a wonderful time. When in Beaune, make a reservation for Ma Cuisine. This is a rite of passage for all wine geeks. Have a great trip!

2 Likes

Thanks, will check out Brocard.

I almost stayed at that hotel but went with another one in Chablis. I’ll try to pop over there for lunch (their wine menu is pretty epic).

Yea I’ve been to France many times. Only passed through Bourgogne quickly and am looking forward to spending more time around there. I speak very basic french, pleasantries, and can navigate a conversation slightly when speaking to someone who can’t speak English. But it’s very rudimentary - if we were to enjoy a winery tour, for example, it would have to be in English. I’ll take a look at Ma Cuisine.

Spent an extremely hot night in Beaujolais this summer. It was like 103 outside so plans for hiking and picnicking pretty well went by the wayside. That said, a tasting at Château Thivin was a highlight of our week in France. Something like $12 euro a person to taste through a wide range of stuff that doesn’t make it to the states and tour their ancient cellar. Very chill and educational.
Had a lovely stay at Chateau Briante in Saint-lager if you are still looking for lodging.
Huge room, tranquil estate, good breakfast—under $200 a night.
We had dinner nearby at Lecume Gourmand.
Great meal, deep wine list—under $150 all-in with a nice bottle.

I’ve only been there on the Kermit trip, but that’s a beautiful spot, high up on the hill, and they make excellent wines. Evelyne Geoffray is an amazing cook, and puts out the best winery food I’ve ever had. Oh, the butter pie!

Aloha Justin,
not knowing you, your taste or budget, my immediate suggestion is that old adage of when you travel the entirely different experience of being with locals.
In Puligny Montrachet is a friend & local, Pascal, who worked for years at Domaine Leflaive, in the vineyard and in the winery and then tasting room. He’s a court -jester and gregarious gentlemen with more than decent English.
If you wanted some one to introduce you to locals who produce fine wine and show you around- primarily in Puligny and Chassagne, and depending on your budget there is some amazing restaurants for lunch and dinner in those 2 towns, and of course Beaune has some famous restaurants.

I’m not feeling so well and my mind cannot grasp the name of the restaurants, hotels, or other details, however, I do have names, emails, and such and if you contact me off this site we will send those to you.
You’d want to offer Pascal a $100.oo or $200 for the day of taking you all around and introducing you.
You can always send emails of letters to Domains that are of particular interest to you./
Enjoy

1 Like

Hi Justin,
My wife and I did a 2 week trip to France last fall. We spent time wine tasting in Beaujolais, Provence, and Burgundy. Burgundy is hard to taste in without a tour guide as many wineries are not open to the public. Try Patriache a negotiant right in the middle of Beaune. For food we enjoyed Caves de Madeline and L’air du Temps. Our favorite experience in Burgundy was a bike ride with wine tastings through the vineyards. We’d highly recommend that your. You taste at 3 wineries and have a 4th tasting up on a hill overlooking the vineyards. Beaujolais was our favorite to taste in. Most wineries you did not need an appointment, the wine was great, and the prices are low. We spent 3 days there and here are the wineries I would recommend Cellier de la Vieille Eglise (in Julienas located in the old church downtown. You can’t miss it,) Chateau Du Moulin a Vent in Moulin a Vent, Les Roches Bleues in Cote de Brouilly ( Jonathan is the owner he is about 30 years old and have a great tasting,) Domaine de la Nadine which is about a 15 drive from Julienas. We were there 3 nights only and 2 if the restaurants I would not recommend however we had a great meal at Le Cote de Brouilly, and a lovely lunch in Julienas at Le Coq a Julienas. Feel free to PM with any questions.

Thank you William, what a nice suggestion. Sadly, I will almost certainly have to cancel this trip due to COVID-19 (crazy to think when I posted this 2 months ago I was still optimistic about the trip). I’ll keep this in mind for the future and perhaps PM you.

Was this bike ride/tastings part of some specific tour/package? By chance do you know the name or company?

Those are great tips for Beaujolais!

I can review with you ; winery’s that with my relationship they will extend a more personal tasting, some restaurants, and hotel ideas, and I do not know your budget, however if you can afford Pascal, he never asks me for money, its merely a gesture, to have a local bring you around. I also was hoping to go this summer, and promised myself I will go as soon as it is safe.
I have to place all of my orders with all of the Domain’s - without tasting the 2018s. They produced the wine and if I do not wish my allocation, there are others who will happily replace me.
I am not going to import any Burgundy until the tariff is removed. I am convinced (to within a whisker of a tear) that by June they will remove the tariff. What I have purchased is sitting there.
It is such a magical place on this earth, the memories and experiences and life’s opportunity. A hail storm the size of golf balls in August, destroying a football field or 2 of vines.
Watching a rain storm that the hillside of earth in Premier Cru appellations and the landowners are frantically carrying the soil back up the hill.
An unused little square of land outside of Marc Colin’s work shed, while he is running the bottling machines, and I pick up an apricot that dropped from a tree that had more intense flavors then I’ve ever tasted in fruit.
You’ll get there and I hope you allow enough time, it will be the little things - like that line in the John Lennon song,
“life is what happens while you’re busy making other plans”

This was the bike tour

Very physical but worth it for the views and experience. You go to Leflaive for lunch.

I know this is kicking up an old post, but I just sent you a PM hoping to pick your brain for some of this same info. Thanks in advance!

William - I am planning a trip through Burgundy in May. It will be my first time there and I am trying to figure out how to best visit domaines. Can I DM you?