Seattle with the Family

Hey All,

Headed to Seattle this summer with the family(kids age 7 and 1). Planning on a week but thinking might want to do 4 days in Seattle and 3 days in Portland.

Any recommendations on where to stay?

Planning on the normal tourist stuff…Any suggests for an itinerary would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi, Adam. Where do you live now? I only ask, because it could frame some of the itinerary recommendations. And will this be all family-focused (in other words, no wine tasting, family-friendly restaurants, etc)? What (in general) do you and your kids like to do?

A few ideas all centered around downtown:

A ferry ride to and from either Bainbridge Island or Vashon Island can be fun. If you’re able, leaving the car behind and doing a walk-on trip to Bainbridge can be nice because so much is within walking distance on the island side. Vashon, not so much. Ferries leave from the downtown waterfront nearly every 30 minutes. On Bainbridge, there is a fun kids “museum” called Kids Discovery Museum that you can walk to from the ferry. Then, there are many great places right there to eat within an easy walk. Vashon requires a car, but is fun in it’s quirky, almost hippie-like feel. I’d do a day with a ferry to Bainbridge for sure.

Pike Place Market is a spectacle, and with lots of food options and fun things to see (and hustle and bustle). It’s a tourist spot, but for a reason.

Taking the monorail from Westlake Center to the Space Needle and back can be fun. An elevator ride up the Space Needle is great, as it’s glass. Expensive, but fun.

Breathtaking panoramic views of nearly all of Seattle from the Columbia Center Sky View Observatory (73rd floor) is neat.

The Seattle Mariners games are very family friendly. They’re a really bad team, but the games are laid back and there are always tickets available. Pretty good ball park food, too. It’s a gorgeous stadium in which to enjoy a baseball game. Consider making your trip around a home stand. Sit on the first base side if you don’t want to sit in the hot sun most of the game.

Renting kayaks or paddle boards at Agua Verde on Lake Union is fun (could be tough with a 1-year-old). It’s a decent Mexican restaurant upstairs and kayak rentals downstairs RIGHT on the water.

I’ve heard that doing an Argosy Cruise around Seattle can be fun, although I never have. They do boat tours from the water that are supposed to be great (they have both options that go around Lake Union, and others that go out into Puget Sound.

The Musuem of Flight is fun if your kids like airplanes.

So Mom and Dad can relax, taking the kids to the beach at Golden Gardens Park is cool. Sandy beaches are rare around here, and this has a big one.

I would also recommend driving down to the beach and lighthouse at Discovery Park. You have to check in at the visitor center and get a pass to park down there, as they only allow cars to families with young children. You can also do a pretty easy hike down and back up, but it would likely be too much for the kids.

I’d consider staying at the Sliver Cloud Inn South Lake Union. Pretty reasonable prices, easy to get to and from, and across the street from Lake Union. A quick drive to Gas Works Park can be fun, and will give unbeatable views of the city. For my wife and I, the fact that breakfast is included is a big plus when we have our kids. Other downtown hotels, while great, are very expensive and can be tough to get to and from. You could grab picnic food (a great baguette, some cured meat, great cheese, a few amazing veggies / fruit, a bottle or rose) at Pike Place Market, and drive to Gas Works Park and eat a picnic lunch or dinner while the kids run around. You enjoy the views.

Restaurant meals are tough to gauge without knowing about your kids and their likes/dislikes.

I’d probably do a mix of Seattle and Portland.

For stays of more than a day or two, I always consider an Air B&B or equivalent. I know they screw up the rental market, but I can’t help myself.

Brandon has great recommendations for activities. Definitely ride the ferry. Kayaking is probably out with a 1yo, but you can consider canoes from the U of W boathouse.

There’s an outdoors sculpture park near pike place market the 7 yr old should like.

Green lake is fun to walk around (roll the stroller around)

airbnb all the way!