Barcelona 2020 (January Edition) Part 3 Alella

A fellow wine geek and Rioja instructor from Edmonton recommended that I spend some time in Alella, a small town just outside of Barcelona. This is, I believe, the smallest DO in Spain. IIRC, Chateau Grillet is possibly the smallest in the world.

Anyway, made my way here on Monday afternoon, checked into Hotel Arrey Alella around 2:00PM, and went for a walk and promptly took the wrong turn. I had a reservation at a place called Restaurant 1789 and wanted to find it so I would not be late when it was time to go there. Eventually, got on the right path, wandered around Alella city center (if you blink twice, you’ll miss it).

Had some work to catch up on, so after having found my dinner location, returned back, had a nap, about some work, eventually wandered on over to the restaurant. The reservation was for two (ever the optimist, I), but walked in - there were two other tables, and the co-owner (Jose, as I found out later) greeted me. When I mentioned, it was for just one, he said “Jay?”.

Very cozy premises - asked for the wine list. He gave me the list and said “it is not complete, I have more”, and apologized for his English. I, in turn, apologized for my lack of Spanish (after all, I am his country). I ordered a bottle of Cava and Jose says, “No, let me get you something better”. Finds me a Cava produced locally at less cost €23 to €35 (that I ordered).

I ordered some Tuna Carpaccio followed by Grilled Prawns. Food was super yummy - but presentation not so much. I was super happy with the food, and as a small eater, I could not finish either. Had a lovely dessert - Catalan cream with Mandarins and Pineapple which I scarfed down like there was no tomorrow - yeah, give me food rich in acid and sharp flavours, and watch me eat!

After the meal, ordered a “Port Charlotte Scottish Barley, Heavily Peated” whiskey from their collection as Jose said it was his favourite. He poured whatever remained in the bottle (about 3.5oz) into a snifter with a small ice cube. By the time I finished it, I was about two sheets to the wind. We talked briefly about the local wines, and he showed me a bottle of local Cava and since I was half in the bag, I said “Lunch tomorrow?” and said I’d be back at 2PM the following day.

The next day, I promptly walked in at 2PM - there was only one other table of two. Jose had the Cava chilled and opened it. After a glass or two, I mentioned it was too cold and that it did not need to be in the chiller. His response (pleased expression), “Spanish people like it super cold”. It was a Brut Natur, blend of Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Xarel-lo. As it warmed up, you could see the fuller bodied Chardonnay expression being moderated with the Pinot/Xarel-lo crispness. Shared a glass with him, and at the end, I sent the rest to the chef who I had met briefly.

Had some Avocado Salad, followed by Scallops in their shell with bread crumbs and creamy sauce. Absolutely scrumptious. Finished the meal with a dessert of Pineapple and Coconut ice cream with some local dessert wine.

Over the course of lunch, Jose and I were speaking about various things related to wine and at the end of the meal, he presented me with a bottle of 1997 Rioja Alta Gran Reserva 904. I assumed that when he placed it on the table, that I was going to purchase it - but he said “this is for you”. That absolutely blew my mind - I know restaurants routinely comp things for their favoured guests, but to gift a bottle of wine to a second time guest - wow. [winner.gif]

— fini Part 3 —

At what point to you get a gout attack? [wink.gif] I’m loving these notes!

Nice Jay! Jay has a lot of fortitude when it comes to food and wine.