Santa Barbara Area Food & Wine

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics, including restaurants
Rob Igel

Santa Barbara Area Food & Wine

#1 Post by Rob Igel » December 30th, 2019, 12:16 pm

My wife and I are planning a short, overnight trip to Santa Barbara in late January to celebrate our 10-year anniversary and Christmas presents to each other! We're in our mid 30s and trying to brainstorm new places to visit and things to do - both on our drives and while in Santa Barbara. Our plan is to leave home in Pismo Beach on a Sunday morning and drive back Monday evening. Any suggestions of places to go and things to do are welcome and appreciated!

1. DRIVING TO SANTA BARBARA

We want to make a couple stops along the way Sunday for lunch and wine. We take day trips to Los Olivos a few times a year, so we're leaning toward Los Alamos or Lompoc as potential detours this time (I'd love to do both, but there doesn't appear to be an efficient way to drive between the two). What area would you choose for the better food + wine combination? Where are your go-to places to eat in your preferred location? My wife and I are in the wine industry in Paso Robles, so any recommendations of your tasting rooms with high-quality wine is much appreciated, too!

2. IN SANTA BARBARA

We're staying at Hotel Californian Sunday night in Santa Barbara and we've made dinner reservations for Sunday at bouchon. We'll probably have a lazy morning at the hotel on Monday, but if there are any easy, noteworthy breakfast spots within walking distance, that would be fun. We've done enough shopping on State Street, and we usually love wandering around the shops and tasting rooms in the Funk Zone (especially Les Marchands (RIP)), but I'd like see if there suggestions for other parts of town that would be fun for an afternoon on Monday (can be wine-related or not). Lunch suggestions with good food and fun atmosphere are also appreciated!

3. DRIVING BACK HOME

I'm not sure what time we'll leave the Santa Barbara area, but I imagine we'll want to stop somewhere for dinner on the way home. I was thinking about trying Norman at the Skyview Hotel, but, in keeping with the theme of this whole post, I'm open to other suggestions!

Thanks, everyone, for your help! I'm trying to make this a special couple days for my wife, so any recommendations you have are great!

Stephen Pepe

Re: Santa Barbara Area Food & Wine

#2 Post by Stephen Pepe » December 31st, 2019, 8:49 am

In Los Alamos Bob's Well Bread is the place for breakfast or lunch. The baked goods are as good as any we had in France. Bell and Pico are also worth a visit. For Pizza Flatbread is excellent. In Santa Ynez SY Kitchen is excellent for Italian food. In Ballard the Ballard Inn is excellent for Asian fusion. There are lots of tasting rooms so let us know what type of wine you enjoy. Cheers.
Stephen Pepe
Clos Pepe Vineyards and Estate Wines
Santa Rita Hills, CA

G. Greenbaum

#3 Post by G. Greenbaum » January 1st, 2020, 1:33 pm

In Los Alimos https://www.bobswellbread.com is fantastic for breakfast or lunch. In Buelton, https://industrialeats.com is an absolute must for lunch and dinner.
Regards,
Gregg

ITB

Eric S n y d e r
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Eric S n y d e r » January 7th, 2020, 3:15 pm

Did Les Marchands close???

Rob Igel

#5 Post by Rob Igel » January 8th, 2020, 8:46 am

Thanks for the recommendations! I had heard good things about Bob's Well Bread, so we'll make that a priority if we end up stopping in Los Alamos.

Yes, Les Marchands did close. (https://www.independent.com/2019/08/20/ ... -to-close/) I think their wine club is still active, but the restaurant and wine shop in the Funk Zone has been replaced by Helena Avenue Bakery.

Gus Siokis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Gus Siokis » January 12th, 2020, 6:18 pm

2d Industrial Eats....fantastic meal.
CT: gsiokis
Instagram: GiantDolphan

Alex N

#7 Post by Alex N » January 12th, 2020, 7:12 pm

Goat Tree is in the same complex as your hotel, and serve some great breakfast dishes and coffee drinks. Just up the way, D'Angelos bakery also has a great breakfast (eggs rose nom nom nom) If Bouchon doesn't work, there's no restaurant I could recommend more highly than Toma for service and food. Monday is also chilaquiles day at La Super Rica taqueria [worship.gif] . Eats in Buellton is the bomb.
@13x N1ch•!z

Matt M .

#8 Post by Matt M . » January 28th, 2020, 5:27 pm

Funk Zone Patio is fun for lunch if you're wine tasting...

If staying in SB, then Oku and Flor the Maiz depending on your mood (sushi vs. modern mexican). They are side by side. Otherwise try Honor Bar or Bettina in Montecito

The Lark, Loquita or Toma for dinner.
Matt M I C K I E W I C Z

Peter Simpson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Peter Simpson » January 28th, 2020, 8:49 pm

Toma +2
Cheers, Peter

Joshua Kates
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Joshua Kates » January 30th, 2020, 5:22 pm

Wine Cask gone, or no longer good? Used to frequent in the 90's?
Neils Bohr had a horseshoe over the door to his country house. A visiting student said to him: "you don't believe in that, do you?" Bohr replied, "of course not," and added, "but you don't have to believe in it for it to work."

Marshall Manning
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Marshall Manning » January 31st, 2020, 10:33 am

Also love Toma. And pizza lunch at Olio y Limone is nice, too. Dinner there isn't bad either! For Mexican I like Mony's even better than Super Rica.
Marshall

John W Osgood

#12 Post by John W Osgood » January 31st, 2020, 3:06 pm

Bob's Well Bread, Bell's and Pico are all great options in Los Alamos!
IG: vins_rouges

CT: JOsgood

David Kaufman

#13 Post by David Kaufman » September 14th, 2020, 8:16 pm

Bumping this as my wife and I will be spending a few days in SB early October. Staying at Hotel Californian and have reservations one night at Bouchon. Looking for other restaurant recommendations. Have a table reserved at Zaytoon - looks like great atmosphere especially if sitting outside at a firepit table - anyone been there that can share?

Looking for perhaps one other dinner spot on the more casual end of the spectrum (Mexican, pizza, etc).

Stephen Pepe

#14 Post by Stephen Pepe » September 15th, 2020, 7:15 pm

Try the out side restaurant at the SB INN on the ocean. There is a second INN at SB which is downtown.
Excellent Italian cuisine - VG pizzas.
Stephen Pepe
Clos Pepe Vineyards and Estate Wines
Santa Rita Hills, CA

Return to “Travel and Restaurants Forum”