When to Book Airfare ???

Any suggestions on how to try to guess/figure out/learn when is best/good time to book airfare in order to get a good/fair deal?

I know there’s no crystal ball, but I assume someone has some insight or can recommend some sort of app or website that tracks such info .

I haven’t been able to properly figure out on Flyer Talk to know where to post or search for info like this .

The specific flight in question is 2 people round trip from JFK to Amsterdam on Delta in early April . We may use some miles since she has a little over 100K. Wife has Gold status and may be Platinum by the time we go, so plan on getting Coach/Main Cabin tickets and hoping for upgrade (might pay if doesn’t get it and price isn’t much ).
Thanks in advance for any assistance .

I don’t know that there is an answer to your question. Delta does have sales, both for cash and for miles, but April is not far away. Early April could mean high demand for spring breakers, so I’d keep that in mind.

I’ll add that as soon as your wife is Platinum, you’ll be able to self-upgrade for free from Coach to Comfort Plus (C+), but not Premium Economy (if the flight has PE).

There is no answer. Google flights will allow you to track your fare and can alert you if the price goes down. Find a fare with a price you are comfortable paying and buy it. Getting an upgrade with low level status on an international flight for 2 people is pretty impossible. If you are using points you probably should have booked already.

George

A few weeks ago, Delta had a flash sale JFK / LHR for 20,000 miles roundtrip. I just checked March 29 - April 10, and see 22,000 mile roundtrip coach tickets. That’s a good redemption. From LHR, you can find cheap (?) transportation to AMS.

JFK/AMS runs about 30,000 miles on the same dates. April 5 - 16 is 32,000 miles. FYI, taxes are about $100 less via AMS.

Thanks . Wife booked bulkhead in Main Cabin both ways , using 100K miles for her and cash for me . Maybe we will get upgraded, especially on the redeye portion . Looking forward to the trip.

Hopper is useful for finding out when fares are low.

You won’t get upgraded. Unless flight is oversold, and even then it is doubtful as a gold and non medallion. So don’t get your hopes up.
As a Platinum in 100+ trans Atlantic and Pacific flights I’ve had 2 operational upgrades (one I begged the pretty gate agent for on my 50th birthday - that was in JFK btw). Ironically the other one was also in JFK.

Thanks . I will sleep some no matter where we sit . No biggie .