Reading, UK

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics, including restaurants
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

Reading, UK

#1 Post by Andrew Kotowski » November 17th, 2019, 6:15 am

Help! Tried the search function and “reading” comes up a lot, ironically a ton of times in my “Adventures in Paris” thread :)

Will be in Reading, England and looking for dinner one night. Previous experiences have been mediocre, at best, so I’m throwing a Hail Mary here. Going into London is not an option and we’ll be hitting the Bull out in Sonning tonight, if only to take my wife to a pub built for hobbits in the 1600s and reminisce about which table George Clooney sat at before he sold his house. Have a team dinner tomorrow night at Côte Brasserie, in the event that helps.

Any ideas would be much appreciated on the off chance you have one.
Instagram at @akgrill

dbailey

Re: Reading, UK

#2 Post by dbailey » November 17th, 2019, 1:50 pm

Try the uk wine pages bb.
Dan

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Andrew Kotowski » November 18th, 2019, 12:23 am

Dinner on Sunday at the Bull Inn was great, and would do again without blinking. Little bit of a drive to get out to Sonning, but definitely a lovely area.

In general, I’ve been pleasantly surprised with how much things have changed here over the last five years. Will post re: dinner the next couple of nights in the event somebody finds it useful in the future.
Instagram at @akgrill

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Andrew Kotowski » November 20th, 2019, 1:43 am

Wrap-up: Nice, walkable town and the Reading Abbey ruins we’re pretty cool. Single best thing we did was jump on a train to Bath. 47 pounds round trip if purchased after 10:30. Bath was spectacular, with the baths themselves, the Abbey and Pulteney Bridge (Chenonceau on a Budget). being the highlights. Throw in a bottle of Cantillon plonk that I picked up for Tallman and Mark Ye and it was a nice visit.

If you’re headed into London for the day, pick up a round trip rail/bus/tube pass for 55. Wife did it and had a blast of a day while I was in meetings :/. Other note - food row behind the Oracle is tolerable, with Cote Brasserie carrying good food and a 17 Boillot Gevrey Chambertin at ~49 quid.
Attachments
663153F6-7A6B-4EB5-842A-04AFB3CEE0B7.jpeg
EB37EB52-0E96-49A7-BCBA-B9198227CF7C.jpeg
CA80A267-E64A-4CC3-BA98-9C8A9BAA2727.jpeg
Instagram at @akgrill

Russell Faulkner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Russell Faulkner » November 20th, 2019, 2:24 am

I’m surprised there’s anywhere decent to eat in Reading!

Return to “Travel and Restaurants Forum”