Charlotte

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics, including restaurants
Nick F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

Charlotte

#1 Post by Nick F. » November 12th, 2019, 2:09 pm

Any early Dinner recommendation with good wine list for Charlotte, NC?
i a s c o n e

Roger Ouellette
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Charlotte

#2 Post by Roger Ouellette » November 13th, 2019, 9:35 am

Nick, here are a few rec's.

Downtown - the Wooden Vine and McNinch House.

Dilworth and South End area - Bonterra and Barcelona Wine Bar.

South Charlotte near SouthPark Mall - Corkbuzz, Roosters and Upstream.

North by the lake - Dressler's, Flat Iron Grill, Alton's.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Roger O.

Nick F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Nick F. » November 13th, 2019, 12:57 pm

Thanks!!
i a s c o n e

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by James Lyon » November 14th, 2019, 1:52 pm

I'm probably too late with my post, but I would recommend the Fig Tree which is near uptown/downtown Charlotte at 7th Street and Louise Avenue.

Sorry, I typically BYOB and pay the corkage, so I don't really peruse many wine lists in the Charlotte area.

James

Roger Ouellette
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Roger Ouellette » November 14th, 2019, 2:32 pm

+1 on Fig Tree. I don't know how I left that one off as we had our anniversary dinner there a few weeks ago (don't tell the CFO I forgot).

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by James Lyon » November 15th, 2019, 8:00 am

The wine list at the Fig Tree is quite extensive. Besides the big chain steakhouses (Del Friscos, etc.), I'm uncertain of a bigger wine list in Charlotte. I've attended a private wine tasting with Chef Greg and I know that he has a great appreciation for wine and the list shows it.

I would also recommend Carpe Diem for the best $20-25 meal in Charlotte, the Buttermilk Fried Chicken Breast. CD has a very small wine list, but it's well thought out.

James

ChrisW

#7 Post by ChrisW » November 24th, 2019, 7:29 pm

Nick F. wrote:
November 12th, 2019, 2:09 pm
Any early Dinner recommendation with good wine list for Charlotte, NC?
Hey Nick - so how was dinner? Visit any of the places listed?
<@ru@n@

Nick F.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Nick F. » November 24th, 2019, 8:22 pm

Ran out of time, but found the Cracker Barrel next to airport.

No wine, but still a personal fav
i a s c o n e

jprusack

#9 Post by jprusack » November 27th, 2019, 1:45 pm

want to throw in kindred in davidson. had a rather enjoyable meal there at the bar while on business in may.

haberdish was also decent for southern food eats in a modern bar type of setting.
Jean - pierre

F.Daner

#10 Post by F.Daner » November 30th, 2019, 4:14 am

Love Fig Tree. I've done a few dinners there and also gone solo at the bar. They usually have some nice BTG options and the bartender makes a killer Manhattan, great guy as well. Aria Tuscan Grill has been a nice surprise downtown. Solid food and good Italian list.

I'll have to check out Carpe Diem on a future trip.
James Lyon wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 8:00 am
The wine list at the Fig Tree is quite extensive. Besides the big chain steakhouses (Del Friscos, etc.), I'm uncertain of a bigger wine list in Charlotte. I've attended a private wine tasting with Chef Greg and I know that he has a great appreciation for wine and the list shows it.

I would also recommend Carpe Diem for the best $20-25 meal in Charlotte, the Buttermilk Fried Chicken Breast. CD has a very small wine list, but it's well thought out.

James
Fred

James Lyon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by James Lyon » December 3rd, 2019, 12:13 pm

jprusack wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 1:45 pm
want to throw in kindred in davidson. had a rather enjoyable meal there at the bar while on business in may.

haberdish was also decent for southern food eats in a modern bar type of setting.
Kindred is great and has received a few JB nominations. It's a long story, but I dined there with Sir Robert Plant in February 2018. However, for folks not familiar with Charlotte, Kindred is in Davidson, which on an average day is probably 30-45 minutes from uptown/downtown Charlotte. Probably over an hour in rush hour traffic.

In addition to the previously mentioned Fig Tree and Carpe Diem, The Stanley and Customshop are located in that general 7th Street/Pecan Avenue and Elizabeth Avenue/Hawthorne Street vicinity. All within a half mile from each other. If whiskey is your poison, The Crunkleton is located 2 doors down from the Stanley. The Crunkleton features vintage bourbons and whiskeys, and has an open kitchen with a nice albeit limited menu.

James

ChrisW

#12 Post by ChrisW » December 6th, 2019, 5:54 pm

James Lyon wrote:
December 3rd, 2019, 12:13 pm
jprusack wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 1:45 pm

Kindred is great and has received a few JB nominations. It's a long story, but I dined there with Sir Robert Plant in February 2018. However, for folks not familiar with Charlotte, Kindred is in Davidson, which on an average day is probably 30-45 minutes from uptown/downtown Charlotte. Probably over an hour in rush hour traffic.

In addition to the previously mentioned Fig Tree and Carpe Diem, The Stanley and Customshop are located in that general 7th Street/Pecan Avenue and Elizabeth Avenue/Hawthorne Street vicinity. All within a half mile from each other. If whiskey is your poison, The Crunkleton is located 2 doors down from the Stanley. The Crunkleton features vintage bourbons and whiskeys, and has an open kitchen with a nice albeit limited menu.

James
Kindred's wine game is solid as well. And cocktails... and milk bread
<@ru@n@

Return to “Travel and Restaurants Forum”