barcelona 3 nights enough?

i know there’s plenty of info here on bcn
thinking about 3nights for my gf’s birthday 12/27-30/19 (not counting 1st night in air 12/26)
would be staying at the arts hotel
flying r/t from jfk and got a great deal on delta 1st class

really just want to eat and drink and see a little gaudi. no side trips.

from the little i know the gothic district has a ton of highly recc’d places to eat and the main gaudi church are pretty close to the area i’ll be staying.

thanks for any advice.

Hey Mark,

I was in Barcelona with my family at the end of August. We flew from EWR on a Sunday overnight flight, arriving Monday AM. Spent Monday through Thursday nights there and flew to San Sebastian on Friday morning. I loved everything about Barcelona. I would say that you could do it in three nights, but if you had the time, four would be ideal. In addition to all the Gaudi stuff, make sure to see the Palau de Musica which was stunning. Loved Bar Mut for dinner.

We stayed at the Gallery Hotel…which was very close to the Casa Battlo and Casa Mila (I think Casa Mila is also called La Pedrera) (both were must see).

Have fun.

Mike

Are three nights enough? NO.

No, not enough. But if that’s the amount of time you have, do it! 3 nights isn’t enough in London or Paris either, but I’ve had some wonderful (short) long weekends. You can certainly have a great experience there over a short period, especially flying first class and staying in a top notch hotel, and whether you feel rushed is entirely based on how much you try to do. Just check to make sure things you want to do are open between Christmas and NYE.

hi sarah
thanks for the suggestion about possible closings in the holiday period, and the encouragement!

and i realize 3 nights are not enough to do everything, but can i make a dent in it?

I think you can, but I’m not a heavy tourist, meaning I am content seeing some sights but have no need to fit in all the big ones. I’ve often commented to my husband after just 3 days or so at the beginning of a trip that, if we went home right now, I’d still feel like it was worthwhile.

You’ll arrive early morning, and can have a full day - hit one of the wonderful old school working class places in the Gothic quarter for breakfast, one of my favorite things to do. You’ll be standing at the bar with older Spanish laborers in sleeveless undershirts and caps, eating delicious sausage and drinking pink cava. Spend the rest of the morning walking around, go to the Boqueria, have lunch somewhere, wander over the Sagrada Familia in the afternoon, rest and freshen up in the late afternoon, go to dinner or do a tapas crawl (it’s Spain, so late), and it’s a perfect day. Do the same thing the next two days, with one or two sights a day and two great meals. I guarantee you’ll come away with a very good sense of the city.

that’s exactly what i had in mind
the perfect 3 day vacation
cheers champagne.gif

Sure! It’s the good flight and hotel that really makes it comfortably possible. If you can arrive having slept, and can leave your bags or even get into your hotel room, then you lose no time to jet lag and luggage annoyance. Even when the room isn’t ready that early, we’ve often used the gym or spa to shower quickly and feel better about the day ahead. It makes all the difference.

Three days is fine that time of year. I stayed at the hotel arts but found it a little geographically distant from walking anywhere. It’s on the beach and that time of yeast you really want to spend your time in Center City near the Ramblas.The Majestic might be a better choice.Try and book Tickets for dinner.Mont Bar iterrific Tapas bar with nice wine selections.Have a pleasant trip!

Just enough time to know the next trip will need to be longer!!!

This! The Hotel Arts is nice, but it’s not in a great location for walking and “feeling” the city. If you’re a Marriott/SPG customer, the new Barcelona Edition, is a great hotel and is ideally suited for exploring El Born, Gothic and El Raval. The Cotton House Autograph is a another option that is more centrally located for walking. If you’re not stuck on Marriott/SPG I would recommend The Serras. Boutique hotel with a rooftop bar and great restaurant close to the water, but also walking distance to all the things you want to see and eat. Have a great time!!

1 Like

I like the Majestic; location can’t be beat. Near the energy/craziness of the gothic, raval, and born, but far enough away, too. The rooms are big; be sure to ask for an updated room.

i got a great rate at the arts and it’s in the amex fine hotels program so there’s some valuable perks
i see majestic is also in the amex program but the rates for whatever reason are significantly higher than a similar room at the arts

will it really be too much to take a taxi from the arts each time we go out? on a map it doesn’t look to bad, but i’ve never been

This is helpful as we will be in Barcelona for 5 nights next month and staying at the Marriott Edition which appears to be centrally located.

^this right here needs to be stickied or saved as a primer for various Barca-related questions. I can’t think of anything that is more spot-on than this, especially as it focuses on my favorite activity in Barca: just allowing yourself to get lost in the streets [cheers.gif]

I think 3 days is enough time. But it looks like you have a full day on a Sunday, and a lot of stuff closes on Sunday in Barcelona. More than I expected for a major city, even for Europe. So I would definitely keep that in mind.

thanks daniel i’m working on that sunday thing already

1 Like

Get tickets IN ADVANCE to go inside Sagrada Familia

Nice timing on this thread. Just booked our vacation today for next Spring.
7 days, 6 nights, 3 star hotel with airport transfers…$2309 total for two through Costco Travel. Screaming deal.

Get tickets in advance for all tourist attractions including all the Gaudi stuff.